The Galaxy Note7 may feature a 3500mAh battery

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
According to SamMobile, the Galaxy Note7 may feature a battery that is 3500mAh in capacity. This is based on information released by a Korean carrier for the SM-N930S variant of the Note7.

Bear in mind that while this is a 100mAh decrease from the Galaxy S7 edge, it is a healthy 500mAh upgrade from the Note5, along with improved efficiency in its internals such as the display and processor.

It may be soon to tell, but the Note7 may feature some efficiency improvements over the S7 edge that could give it identical battery life.

What do you guys think? Personally, while it is mildly disappointing, this is still a significant step up from my old phone, both in battery capacity and efficiency, which means that I should have no issue getting this phone to last the day on a single charge. While I would like more, 3500mAh plus the more efficient internals is more than sufficient for my daily usage pattern.

Of course, your mileage may vary, as everyone has different usage patterns.

New leak points towards the Galaxy Note 7 sporting a 3,500mAh battery - SamMobile

(LG G3 - Android 6.0)

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
If it means anything, I had used the Note 4 streaming Pandora for 8+hrs at a time at work, browsing some social media, chatting with my Lady, etc..., and still had plenty of battery left. The Note 5 does even better. I can just imagine how much longer a 500mah increase would go, when the rest is more efficient at using the power.

billyhousemover

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
Every year it's the same. Great expectations and then two weeks out Sammy brings us back to reality! Sure hope the speaker isn't moved to the back! Pre-ordered n5 last year but waiting a couple of weeks for reviews this time. Still think this little phone-computer is going to be a beast!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I hope that this is not true. How can The Note 7 have an smaller battery then the S7!
Well, there are some reasons why.

1) The S Pen. The S Pen slot actually takes up quite a bit of internal space. So there isn't actually as much room for a bigger battery compared to a phone without said slot.

2) Despite the larger screen size, note that the bezels may actually be slightly thinner. So the overall size may not increase that much, meaning that there also isn't as much space for a larger cell.

I know some fans will feel a little let-down by having a Note that actually has a slightly smaller battery than the S7 edge, but I personally wouldn't have sleepless nights over a 100mAh difference in capacity.

It's also worth noting that the Note seems to have more efficient kernel management compared to the S-line, so battery life should be identical or maybe even better.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, there are some reasons why.

1) The S Pen. The S Pen slot actually takes up quite a bit of internal space. So there isn't actually as much room for a bigger battery compared to a phone without said slot.

2) Despite the larger screen size, note that the bezels may actually be slightly thinner. So the overall size may not increase that much, meaning that there also isn't as much space for a larger cell.

I know some fans will feel a little let-down by having a Note that actually has a slightly smaller battery than the S7 edge, but I personally wouldn't have sleepless nights over a 100mAh difference in capacity.

It's also worth noting that the Note seems to have more efficient kernel management compared to the S-line, so battery life should be identical or maybe even better.
What do mean they have more efficient kernel management? Even if they have initially wouldn't that be pushed to S7 edge as well in updates?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
What do mean they have more efficient kernel management? Even if they have initially wouldn't that be pushed to S7 edge as well in updates?
It's weird, but the Notes usually have slightly more efficient kernel management compared to the S-line.

Under load, both consume the same amount of power. But when idle, the Note sips less power for some reason. It's also quicker to reach idle speeds.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes it does. Note 5 battery sucks the note 4 was way better.

Posted via the Android Central App
Depends on how you use your phone.

If you're a heavy user, there's no question. A smaller battery just won't outlast a bigger one.

If you're a lighter user, then the tables might actually turn, especially since efficiency improvements in hardware and even software can make some phones with smaller batteries last a little longer than usual.

Of course, the best combo is having both, and regardless of whether it's 3500mAh or 4000mAh, it's still the largest battery ever fitted onto a Note device.

dlgus

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I guess I am weird...I like my battery to last, but I LIVE with a battery pack in my purse so <shrug>

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The Note has to account for the stylus. Stressing about a minor difference is crazy.

Those who aren't into specs want that thin phone. But when the phone doesn't last as long as their friends S7E, it will matter.

Would you rather have a larger phone so it would accommodate a bigger battery and the spen?

Posted via the *Note 5*

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Those who aren't into specs want that thin phone. But when the phone doesn't last as long as their friends S7E, it will matter.

Would you rather have a larger phone so it would accommodate a bigger battery and the spen?

Posted via the *Note 5*
Uh, I'll answer that last question later.

But I'm pretty sure that this could last as long as an S7e, maybe slightly longer, though that's on mixed usage patterns where the phone is asleep quite often.

Because, as I said above, the Note-line, weirdly, has a different kernel where it goes back to idle in a quicker fashion than the S-line.

To answer your question, if I had my way, I would rather carry a 10mm behemoth with a 6000mAh battery. That likely won't appeal to most people, though.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I guess I am weird...I like my battery to last, but I LIVE with a battery pack in my purse so <shrug>

I do a little better, I live with 3 spare batteries for my Note 4.. Good thing too. This morning had to make a trip to the ER, and they kept me. My phone going full blast calling people looking at movies. No charger with me, or one available. But, 20 hours later, my phone still at 100% thanks to two quick 20 second swap outs.. I have a battery pack(not with me), but spares are way faster, and easier to carry.. I am going to miss my removable battery of my beloved Note 4, miss it dearly.