The Galaxy Note7 may feature a 3500mAh battery

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would be ok with 3500.

Likewise. I was hoping for a bigger one (who wouldn't want more battery?) but .. I can live with it. I have a fast charging battery pack and chargers everywhere so I am not concerned. Quick charging made me stop worrying about battery.

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Lesser capacity than the s7 edge? only way this is acceptable if Samsung brings back the removable battery

nothing beats going from almost empty to 100 percent in 20 seconds

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Lesser capacity than the s7 edge? only way this is acceptable if Samsung brings back the removable battery

nothing beats going from almost empty to 100 percent in 20 seconds
Sorry to burst your bubble, but it is pretty much unlikely that Samsung is going to be bringing back the removable battery. Given that they are focused on their current design language, a removable battery is pretty much impossible to implement.

Thing is, one Android OEM is sticking with that philosophy on their flagships. LG.

Although the G5 has been rather underwhelming, the V20 might be the one to pay attention to if you want a removable battery.

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to burst your bubble, but it is pretty much unlikely that Samsung is going to be bringing back the removable battery. Given that they are focused on their current design language, a removable battery is pretty much impossible to implement.

Thing is, one Android OEM is sticking with that philosophy on their flagships. LG.

Although the G5 has been rather underwhelming, the V20 might be the one to pay attention to if you want a removable battery.
Well i think this will be the case anyways too bad because the Note 4 was such a great phone.

but yeah seems like the Note 7 will only be an s7 edge with a S Pen.

Hopefully LG delivers with the V20.

Saturn1217

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I hate to be that person because I know numbers on a spec sheet aren't everything but this would be a deal breaker. Samsung seemed to have shown with their latest phones that they finally learned not to compromise on battery life, that this needs to be one of the top priorities.

If they release a smaller battery in their Note flagship than the smaller S7edge it will mean they forgot this lesson again. Having a big battery is important regardless of how good software/hardware is optimized. A larger battery will wear better over time because there is simply more to start with.

I would already have to compromise on the slow updates, non-stock software and the curved screen (which I am willing to do if the Note 7 is otherwise amazing). But if it doesn't have a huge battery (not just adequate) the reasons to get this phone become too few...

Posted via the Android Central App

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, it's early to tell how the battery on the Note7 would fare.

And let's be honest. All of us want more battery. More battery is always welcome. But I've seen some phones that pack in sizeable batteries but do rather poorly in the real world.

I'm not saying the Note7 is going to have astronomically great or terrible battery life. Given the different kernel operation and other optimization, it should last as long as an S7e in normal use (based on rough details).

But I get that some are going to be disappointed that the Note doesn't seem to have the gigantic battery advantage that it has over the S-line in the past, though I personally wouldn't lose any sleep over a mere 100mAh.

As a side note, this isn't the first Note that doesn't have a significant battery advantage over an S phone. The Note5 had the same battery capacity as the S6e+.

And since I brought up the LG V20 earlier, I hope they give it a nice battery capacity. The V10 had a rather small-ish 3000mAh unit, for its relative size, though it was removable, which was a nice consolation prize. The last thing I want in the V20 is to see a smaller battery, like on the G5.

(LG G3 - Android 6.0)

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
If 3500mAh does turn out to be the actual capacity, like I mentioned in the OP, I'll probably be mildly disappointed as it's slightly smaller than the S7 edge.

Though since it's a mere 100mAh difference, I don't think I'll lose any sleep over that.

Looking further on the bright side, it's a healthy bump from the Note 5 and my former daily LG G4, and will likely be more efficient, especially compared to the latter.

So while I'll be a tiny bit let down if the battery does turn out to be 3500mAh, it's still an upgrade over my former daily and the Note5, so perhaps it might not be so sour. I'll miss the removable battery on the G4, however.

Axon 7!!

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
It just may be me but I'm often not concerned about the size of the battery nor the battery life of my phones.

I carry a power bank in my handbag and another in my car. Whenever I'm anywhere near 50% I'll simply use my bank in my handbag and by the time I get to wherever I'm going I'm often back to 100%

I know a lot of folks feel they shouldnt have the need to carry or use power banks especially guys but having it in my handbag is very convenient.

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't have issues on the Note 5 I'm using.

Well thats good to know. The idle drain sucks on mine I use the doze feature and it still sucks. Hard reset it twice and it still blows. So anything is an upgrade from the crap battery life.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well thats good to know. The idle drain sucks on mine I use the doze feature and it still sucks. Hard reset it twice and it still blows. So anything is an upgrade from the crap battery life.

That is weird. Nothing showing up in the battery chart?

mobilem1

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
My wife has commented that the battery life on her note 5 has started to disappoint her compared to the note edge she previously owned. I've noticed that does seem like her note 5 battery drains faster than the note 4 did.
Also I'm not buying this better power management so 3500mah is ok stuff. The same line was being pushed about the s6 before it came out. Remember how Samsung tried to reassure everyone that not having a removable battery anymore with the s6 wouldn't be a problem because of more efficient power management and a more optimized version of touchwiz. Well we all know how that turned out...
The note 7 reportedly will have a larger screen, possibly more ram, and it may have other newer features and all of thiswould probably require more battery power so not having a bigger battery than the s7 edge is a mistake in my opinion. I think I'm going to wait a few months after release to see how the phone performs in reviews from real life battery usage tests. If it works out then I'll get the note 7 for my wife and sell her note 5. What I'm really hoping for is the rumor of 2 different note 7's, one curved and one flat screened, comes true with the curved note having the 4000mah battery. That would be a day one purchase in that case. I guess we will find out in about a week.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
According to SamMobile, the Galaxy Note7 may feature a battery that is 3500mAh in capacity. This is based on information released by a Korean carrier for the SM-N930S variant of the Note7.

Bear in mind that while this is a 100mAh decrease from the Galaxy S7 edge, it is a healthy 500mAh upgrade from the Note5, along with improved efficiency in its internals such as the display and processor.

It may be soon to tell, but the Note7 may feature some efficiency improvements over the S7 edge that could give it identical battery life.

What do you guys think? Personally, while it is mildly disappointing, this is still a significant step up from my old phone, both in battery capacity and efficiency, which means that I should have no issue getting this phone to last the day on a single charge. While I would like more, 3500mAh plus the more efficient internals is more than sufficient for my daily usage pattern.

Of course, your mileage may vary, as everyone has different usage patterns.

New leak points towards the Galaxy Note 7 sporting a 3,500mAh battery - SamMobile

(LG G3 - Android 6.0)
I said 3500 mah is ok but... Honestly if it gets the same or better battery life as my note 5 (3000mah) then I would be happy. Now if it got the same as my LG G4, which also had 3000mah yet got like half the battery life of my note 5, then no. I would prefer my note 5 even if the battery on the g4 was increased to 3600. This despite the g4 having 2 less power hungry a57 cores than the note 5. Of course they are using a different process, which probably has some affect too.

Battery size is important, but battery life is much more important. My Galaxy Sol has a 2800mah battery yet gets substantially better battery life than my note 5..

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Right. The iPhone 6s plus has a 2,700 Mah battery and gets some of the best battery life I've ever seen on a smartphone.

If the Note 7 is more efficient than its previous version, the complaints will be unwarranted.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Battery life matters more than battery size. 3600 is only 2.8% larger than 3500 and on a 6 hour screen on average we're talking about a difference of 10 minutes.

On the other hand, 3500 is 16.7% larger than 3000 (Note 5) which already had great battery life, and now we're talking another hour I'd SOT if you're used to 6 hours (as an example).

So if the Note 5 gives you 6 hours and all other things were equal, you'd expect 7 hours from the Note 7 at 3500 and 7 hours 12 minutes with 3600 mAh. That 12 minutes really probably doesn't matter. And all other things aren't equal. We're going to have a more efficient SoC, more efficient display panel and more efficient software. My advice, relax, enjoy the weekend, wait and see. Odds are heavily stacked on the Note 7 having fantastic battery life.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Thing is, it's too soon to tell how the Note would fare.

We'll have to see when it is official and reviewers and users use it in the real world.

My personal prediction would that it would be able to last a day on mixed use without much issues. While it certainly is no headliner in 2016, a 3500mAh is still a pretty nice capacity and combined with efficient hardware and software, should mean that daily use shouldn't be an issue. Of course that's just a prediction and we'll have to see real world performance.

More battery capacity is always better, but as dpham said, the capacity only tells half the story. The efficiency of the hardware and software tells the other half. You have to know both in order to paint the complete picture.

And hey, as long as it's better than my LG G4 and HTC One M7 (pictured), it's fine with me.

Attachments

• 18257.jpg
    18257.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 50

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Thing is, it's too soon to tell how the Note would fare.

We'll have to see when it is official and reviewers and users use it in the real world.

My personal prediction would that it would be able to last a day on mixed use without much issues. While it certainly is no headliner in 2016, a 3500mAh is still a pretty nice capacity and combined with efficient hardware and software, should mean that daily use shouldn't be an issue. Of course that's just a prediction and we'll have to see real world performance.

More battery capacity is always better, but as dpham said, the capacity only tells half the story. The efficiency of the hardware and software tells the other half. You have to know both in order to paint the complete picture.

And hey, as long as it's better than my LG G4 and HTC One M7 (pictured), it's fine with me.

The average battery size of the 2014 Q4, 2015 and 2016 major flagship devices is 3084 mAh. This is 13.5% larger than that.

3500 is ridiculously huge still. I'm glad that many oems are in that ballpark, but 2700-4000 batteries are enormous. The solution to battery life woes is NOT more mAh. It's managing battery life and efficiency better. OEMs need to take up the challenge and give us devices that last 3-4 days or even a week off of 2500 mAh. The tech is out there, there are cost, heat and engineering hurdles and it's time to start knocking them down.

Last edited:

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The average battery size of the 2014 Q4, 2015 and 2016 major flagship devices is 3084 mAh. This is 13.5% larger than that.

3500 is ridiculously huge still. I'm glad that many oems are in that ballpark, but 2700-4000 batteries are enormous. The solution to battery life woes is NOT more mAh. It's managing battery life and efficiency better. OEMs need to take up the challenge and give us devices that last 3-4 days or even a week off of 2500 mAh. The tech is out there, there are cost, heat and engineering hurdles and it's time to start knocking them down.
I forgot to mention this.

There's also the problem of giving developers way too much leeway with battery capacity. Sometimes, developers may take advantage of the extra battery capacity and may not properly optimize their apps, so that they may end up using more than they need to, negating part of that capacity advantage.