The Galaxy Note7 may feature a 3500mAh battery

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
And IF there's a flat version, it will be the S7 with an Spen. And the price will be higher, so about $150 for an Spen.

Posted via the *Note 5*

Inaccurate. Everyone saying this annoys me now. There's always a noticeable difference between the two lines. But hey, maybe it's just me...

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes it does. Note 5 battery sucks the note 4 was way better.

Posted via the Android Central App

I don't believe so. While I hate my N5 with the fury of a thousand suns, I think the N4 was just one of the best OPTIMIZED phones to ever exist. Not to mention that this thread doesn't matter in the long run because true or not, this Note will have the largest battery in Note history.

thetonyclifton

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
The Note is supposed to be a powerhouse. Even if they can make it do better things with the same or less - the spec sheet matters.

If you are pitching a phone as the biggest, best and latest it needs to improve on what came before it, having an s pen wont cut it.

Screen size can hit a sweet spot or re-calibrate.
It may not be cost effective or worthwhile to jump in RAM
They can choose to seal in the battery
They can find it difficult to fit in a bigger battery

...but if Samsung do all of those things, people will start to struggle to see what they have done.

Battery size would be the worst one of the above for me to take, even if you can get more from the same...give more! Make something jump out. Samsung have to make a statement with this phone and it is beginning to whimper for me.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The Note is supposed to be a powerhouse. Even if they can make it do better things with the same or less - the spec sheet matters.

If you are pitching a phone as the biggest, best and latest it needs to improve on what came before it, having an s pen wont cut it.

Screen size can hit a sweet spot or re-calibrate.
It may not be cost effective or worthwhile to jump in RAM
They can choose to seal in the battery
They can find it difficult to fit in a bigger battery

...but if Samsung do all of those things, people will start to struggle to see what they have done.

Battery size would be the worst one of the above for me to take, even if you can get more from the same...give more! Make something jump out. Samsung have to make a statement with this phone and it is beginning to whimper for me.

If they went to 4000 or 4500 mAh I'd absolutely agree. When you're talking about adding 2-3 hours of SOT, that's something to get on fire about. But when the difference is 7-12 minutes, like the difference between 3500 and 3600.... I'm just not sure I can care if my phone gets 7 hours 12 minutes versus 6 hours 55 minutes of SOT. Now if you tell me we could have had 10 hours and instead we're getting 6-7, yeah, that's a different thing. But without changing the dimensions, 10 wasn't going to happen.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Let's face it. ALL of Samsung's phones are beasts now, not just the Note series.

At one time you could say the Note series carried next level specs, but that's getting tougher and tougher to pull off.

So what are you left with? Larger screen, Note UX, S-Pen and S-Pen software. If that's not good enough, maybe it's time to look elsewhere.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I feel like everybody agreeing is just drinking the Note kool-aid lol. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I've always thought the Note was supposed to be the top of the line. If it comes with less battery or even the same as the S7 edge, it'll be a disappointment TO ME. It's got a bigger screen and will likely have more ram, and to have the same or less battery capacity just seems wrong to me. Of course, like I said this is just my opinion. I really wanted to try having an spen with me all the time, because my Note 8.0 is pretty old now but it looks like I'll have to pass.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I feel like everybody agreeing is just drinking the Note kool-aid lol. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I've always thought the Note was supposed to be the top of the line. If it comes with less battery or even the same as the S7 edge, it'll be a disappointment TO ME. It's got a bigger screen and will likely have more ram, and to have the same or less battery capacity just seems wrong to me. Of course, like I said this is just my opinion. I really wanted to try having an spen with me all the time, because my Note 8.0 is pretty old now but it looks like I'll have to pass.

I think it's important to value battery life, not battery size. As indicated earlier, we're having a big argument over less than a quarter of an hour of usage - if this thing comes out and can't do 4 hours SOT, I'll be the first one to say that Samsung dropped the ball. But the math will indicate that battery size isn't what caused it to suck - it'd be the fact that they released a crappy phone. Battery life is important, the number inside the device doesn't matter much. Just like, not having lag and memory leaks and crappy performance is important, not the specific processor used, etc.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Aquila raised an important point.

Real-world performance matters. Having a large battery is nice (really, don't we all want a huge battery?), but how would you know that your phone is properly conserving all that juice in order to have great endurance?

You have to use it to find out. We can't just assume how the battery would be just from its capacity. There's a number of variables that account for battery life. Capacity is just one of them (albeit one significant one).

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you, real world performance does matter, but however optimized the device is, the life would have been better with a bigger battery. I know that's a limited way to look at it. But let's say this is the best optimized device Samsung puts out, just imagine how good the life would have been with a 4k mah battery. I really like my S7 edge so for me to upgrade, I wanted it to be an actual upgrade, not a lateral move.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you, real world performance does matter, but however optimized the device is, the life would have been better with a bigger battery. I know that's a limited way to look at it. But let's say this is the best optimized device Samsung puts out, just imagine how good the life would have been with a 4k mah battery. I really like my S7 edge so for me to upgrade, I wanted it to be an actual upgrade, not a lateral move.
I think everyone here would have loved to see a 4000mAh battery as it would be a supreme battery champ when combined with excellent optimization. But, given that the S Pen takes up quite a bit of internal space, I presume a 4000mAh battery may not be feasible unless they significantly increase its dimensions.

Plus, a 3500mAh battery is still considered to be a pretty large battery and combined with good optimization, would probably mean that the Note7 can last a day fairly easily on mixed usage. Of course, a 4000mAh battery with that sort of optimization would be the holy grail. Maybe we'll see that in the future.

Overall, I don't think Samsung is aiming for consumers to replace their S7 edge with the Note. Seems like they are targeting Note5 and possibly earlier Note users who were bummed with the smaller battery capacity and lack of expandable storage on the 5 and really don't use the removable battery.

We shall see on August 2nd. While doing so, I'm also hoping that LG doesn't make the same mistake they did to the G5 with the V20.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

It is true a bigger battery would help but we are talking 3500 vs 3600 here -- you won't notice a difference. I don't think their target is people on the S7 Edge.

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

So clearly you're drinking the "I just want to disagree" Kool-aid. LoL I prefer apple juice. Of us that are agreeing, I believe that we know we're going to get a great phone, nothing more.

I really maintain my position here with the N7: If you don't want it, don't buy it. It probably wasn't meant for you anyway. Me myself, however, want this phone and will get it. Why? 1) Because I want to. 2) Because it's (even with unconfirmed specs) a true upgrade from my Note 5.

Solitary Wolf

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
Well...at this point I probably shouldn't be surprised. The edged screen, non-removable battery, I was already looking away fromt it. Seriously how can an s7 active have 4000mAh battery and this giant note can't? I understand the space of the s-pen slot can be an issue but i thought battery technology has increased since then, and 500mAh decrease from what it originally was? I can only hope that Android 7 will not be as battery-consuming as Lolipop was.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well...at this point I probably shouldn't be surprised. The edged screen, non-removable battery, I was already looking away fromt it. Seriously how can an s7 active have 4000mAh battery and this giant note can't? I understand the space of the s-pen slot can be an issue but i thought battery technology has increased since then, and 500mAh decrease from what it originally was? I can only hope that Android 7 will not be as battery-consuming as Lolipop was.
Well, for starters, the Active is pretty bulky, when compared to a standard flat Galaxy S7.

I don't think Samsung wanted to make the Note bulky.

And by bulky, I mean REALLY bulky.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
The Note 7 is thinner then the Note 5. I really did not mind the thickness of the Note 5. We do not know why they made the battery smaller if the Rumor is true. They could of had issues with the size of the battery and fitting in the S -pen. We do not know. We just have to wait and see. August 2nd!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The Note 7 is thinner then the Note 5. I really did not mind the thickness of the Note 5. We do not know why they made the battery smaller if the Rumor is true. They could of had issues with the size of the battery and fitting in the S -pen. We do not know. We just have to wait and see. August 2nd!
I thought it was rumored to be 7.9mm thin? That's 0.2mm thicker than the Note5.