The Galaxy Note7 may feature a 3500mAh battery

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
It's still a 500mAh improvement over the Note5. And that depends on display. A bigger display will draw more power, but it also depends what type of display it is, and other factors.

Frankly, discussing about battery life is way more than just mAh, efficiency, display power draw and whatnot. It's much more complicated than that.

Truth of the matter is, talking about battery life is much more than discussing mAh numbers.

Agreed; Even with the same phone, people are going to use theirs differently. Levels of brightness will be different for each person, some may play more games/watch movies/surf the net more than others. In short, their are Way too many variables.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Now, if they made the actual display bigger,...

I think the smarter move would have been to make the phone even 1mm THICKER. This obsession the OEMs have with thinness of phones is bordering on silly these days. All phones are so thin these days, so think that I would gladly add 1mm of thickness for another 500Mah of battery. I am willing to bet just about everyone would feel the same too (up to a point of course).

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
^ You may think it's silly, but ask most regular consumers if they want phones that bulk up in their pockets, especially with a case on them.

Do you guys really think OEMs make these decisions without doing their research?

Posted via the Android Central App

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
^ You may think it's silly, but ask most regular consumers if they want phones that bulk up in their pockets, especially with a case on them.

Do you guys really think OEMs make these decisions without doing their research?

Posted via the Android Central App

Go ask anyone if they would sacrifice 1mm for an hour or 2 more of battery life ... They are not "bulking up" any pockets now, and 1 more mm won't make it so either ..

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Go ask anyone if they would sacrifice 1mm for an hour or 2 more of battery life ... They are not "bulking up" any pockets now, and 1 more mm won't make it so either ..

Most people would make that trade in favor of battery life, but we're talking about 7-12 minutes of battery life... that's just not enough to get fired up about.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Going from 3500 to 4000 MAH would not be 7-12 min of battery life, right? I bet they can get 500 MAH more with 1mm more thickness, maybe I am wrong...

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Going from 3500 to 4000 MAH would not be 7-12 min of battery life, right? I bet they can get 500 MAH more with 1mm more thickness, maybe I am wrong...

No, if we go from 3000 to 3500 and expect that to be a 16.7% increase then 3500 to 4000 would be an additional 16.7% of the 3000, for a total of 33.3% increase over the 3000. So if that was 6 hours, we'd expect 8 hours out of 4000 where we'd expect 7 hours from 3500. 3600 was the 7 hours and 12 minutes value. With a base assumption of 3000 mAh = 6 hours SOT, each 100 mAh = 12 minutes of SOT. Scale to your usage as you wish. The reason I said 12 minutes is because MOST of the argument here is that being less than the S7 Edge sucks. I think it's not noticeable and it might even be better battery life. Obviously adding another 500 mAh would be preferable, but no one reliable ever said 4000 mAh was happening, let alone Samsung. For 1mm thicker, I'd definitely accept another hour of SOT.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that number seems way off. By that number we'd be getting roughly 56 to 96 minutes of battery life, right?

Based on earlier assumptions in the thread, for an "average user", 100 mAh = 12 minutes, so 500 mAh = 60 minutes. Give or take, adjust for your usage patterns, etc.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I am gonna be happy with 3500 MaH. I have a Note 5 with 3000 now, so 3500 will be great for me. I was just saying how all the OEMs are so worried about thin, that they are losing sight of the importance of battery life at the cost of thinness nowadays.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I am gonna be happy with 3500 MaH. I have a Note 5 with 3000 now, so 3500 will be great for me. I was just saying how all the OEMs are so worried about thin, that they are losing sight of the importance of battery life at the cost of thinness nowadays.

You're 100% right. I kinda liked the approach the Droid Maxx came with. "This phone definitely will never be called sexy, but it'll last at least two days on normal usage". If more people would have bought it instead of Samsung's, Samsung would have one of those.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I think the smarter move would have been to make the phone even 1mm THICKER. This obsession the OEMs have with thinness of phones is bordering on silly these days. All phones are so thin these days, so think that I would gladly add 1mm of thickness for another 500Mah of battery. I am willing to bet just about everyone would feel the same too (up to a point of course).
You know, if Samsung could make a Note 8 that's 8.7mm thin (the Note7 is apparently 7.9mm thin and the Note5 is 7.6mm) and increase the display size a little bit and can still fit a battery close to or even over 4000mAh in capacity, I think that would be nice.

We'll have to see, though. Not that the Note7 is insufficient for my needs. Just seeing what they could do with the next one.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I feel I should make my stance a little clearer on this.

Like many others here, I would have LOVED to see a 4000mAh battery in the Note. So when I heard that it was probably going to be 3500mAh, I was a bit let-down.

I think for a lot of us, 3500mAh just doesn't look as large as 4000mAh and even though it's only 2.8% smaller than an S7 edge, just the thought of having a Note that has a battery that's even ever-so-slightly smaller than an S-line device is hard to stomach. I think that's where a lot of the disappointment comes.

However, on the brighter side of things, it is at least a 500mAh bump from the Note5, which is pretty significant and it'll likely be more efficient, meaning that it might roughly be similar to the S7e in terms of overall battery life (not holding my breath, though). Which is sweet, but to those who want more, it might be disappointing because there's always that feeling of "wanting more", especially heavy users and those who are accustomed to the Note having a bigger battery than the S-line phone.

In short, it's still an improvement over the Note5 in terms of battery capacity and efficiency, and if it does boast some efficiency improvements over the S7, might even be roughly similar to the S7e, despite having a larger display (though I'm still not holding my breath, but it should still be pretty good). However, it's hard for some to NOT think about how much better it could be with a larger cell, but given that it is still a significant improvement over my LG G4 in both regards, and a MASSIVE improvement over my M7, it doesn't really bug me as much. However, YMMV.

That said, Samsung. If you're listening, can we have a Note8 with a 8.7mm thick chassis, slightly larger display and being able to squeeze in a larger battery through some genius rearrangement of components even with an S Pen plus the usual efficiency improvements? Not that the Note7 isn't sufficient for my usage, but still, one needs progress, right? ;)

(As a side note, the Note7 might be slightly thicker than the Note5. And yes, can we end this race for thinner phones, please? The S7 got quite a number of welcome improvements, especially having a bigger battery and a smaller camera hump from that 1mm increase in thickness. There's no need to go any thinner. 7.5mm is my limit.)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Agree. For me, the note 5 battery was already better than the 4 despite being smaller. The note 7 is more efficiency improvements and a 16.67% larger battery.

Solitary Wolf

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
Same Samsung needs to understand that the Note should be the top of the line function over form device. If people want a fancy looking phone that's what the S and especially edge line is for.

The note should be a no BS, gimmicks productivity device as far as mobile phones can be used for productivity .

With a bigger phone there are more pixels to push, so a bigger battery will be needed...can't believe people are still falling for marketing crap like software optimization and even if that existed a bigger removable battery would still be better than every alternative.

Not exactly exited but it will be interesting to see if Samsung can take back the Note line to it's former glory instead of just making it a bigger S line device with an S Pen.

Same here. I really hope the S8 and the Note 8 return to how the Note4 and S5 were. S6 and Note 5 was Samsung blatantly trying hard to be an iphone, they learned better this year, so I'm hoping next year will be even better, and hopefully Qualcomm knows not to ever ever EVER go back to the architecture that the Snapdragon 810 had. Overheating and eating through battery made me downgrade from an M9 to the Note 4 which I'm still very satisfied with.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm disappointed in the battery for the Note 7, but at least it's gonna have 64gb. I really wish they had given us 64gb base in the S7e or at least given us the option. My phone is full and I've moved everything possible to SD. VR stuff can't be moved to SD.

I am curious though, do you guys think the Note 7 will get better battery life than the edge?

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm disappointed in the battery for the Note 7, but at least it's gonna have 64gb. I really wish they had given us 64gb base in the S7e or at least given us the option. My phone is full and I've moved everything possible to SD. VR stuff can't be moved to SD.

I am curious though, do you guys think the Note 7 will get better battery life than the edge?

Why are you disappointed in a rumor on a phone that hasn't even been announced yet?

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I guess ultimately what my question is: why is everybody freaking out over rumors that are negative (and not even fact), and not focusing on any of that are positive? It makes no sense to me personally. Someone put out a report,along with a million others, about a possible battery change and the whole world is running with it. So why are we out here stressing for nothing instead of just waiting until August 2nd? And besides, the Note 7 will have the largest battery that any notice had before so what are we complaining about? The Note 4 did a heck of a lot with a smaller battery then what we're getting so I welcome any battery 3500 or above.

Besides my Note 5 has a terrible battery life so anything that I get after this will be heaven. That and I look forward to having an SD slot.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Same here. I really hope the S8 and the Note 8 return to how the Note4 and S5 were. S6 and Note 5 was Samsung blatantly trying hard to be an iphone, they learned better this year, so I'm hoping next year will be even better, and hopefully Qualcomm knows not to ever ever EVER go back to the architecture that the Snapdragon 810 had. Overheating and eating through battery made me downgrade from an M9 to the Note 4 which I'm still very satisfied with.
It's hard to say if Samsung will return to the S5/Note 4 design form as the current design language on the S7 and S7 edge has been pretty popular, especially the latter. Given that a lot of their phones have a similar design language, and how well the S7 is selling, it's unlikely at this point that they'll do another overhaul of their design. Maybe a few more improvements here and there.

Another thing is that if one truly wants to bring the Note back to its "glory days" of having a removable battery and back cover, the S-line device has to have those first, as the Note (aside from the tablets) is usually based on the S-line device of the same year. Whatever the S-line device gets, it's likely that the Note will pick those up as well, along with its own stuff, since both are part of Samsung's flagship line. Or make the Note drastically different from the S-line, though that does bring in its own set of challenges.

We'll see next year. Maybe there's a surprise hidden in store?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I guess ultimately what my question is: why is everybody freaking out over rumors that are negative (and not even fact), and not focusing on any of that are positive? It makes no sense to me personally. Someone put out a report,along with a million others, about a possible battery change and the whole world is running with it. So why are we out here stressing for nothing instead of just waiting until August 2nd? And besides, the Note 7 will have the largest battery that any notice had before so what are we complaining about? The Note 4 did a heck of a lot with a smaller battery then what we're getting so I welcome any battery 3500 or above.

Besides my Note 5 has a terrible battery life so anything that I get after this will be heaven. That and I look forward to having an SD slot.
Well, have you ever wondered why negative forum threads tend to get more attention than some positive ones?

Probably because anything negative tends to catch people's attention more, especially if it's something that they are not expecting.