Bothered that the Note 7 is the S7 Edge with larger screen, S Pen, & smaller battery?

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
re: Bothered that the Note 7 is the S7 Edge with larger screen, S Pen, & smaller battery?

The Note7 should only be compared to the Note5. They are 2 different lines.
The fact that they made the S7 Edge only .2 inches smaller is besides the point. I don't like the S7 edge screen, but it sounds like the Note7 edge will be tolerable. Add the bigger battery, USB-C, better camera, micro SD storage, faster charging, SD 820 and waterproofing, you have a pretty decent upgrade.
For me, who has only being upgrading to the next Note every year, it works for me. There is no other phone out there right now that stacks up to this.

DasWindows

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
re: Bothered that the Note 7 is the S7 Edge with larger screen, S Pen, & smaller battery?

The Note7 should only be compared to the Note5. They are 2 different lines.
The fact that they made the S7 Edge only .2 inches smaller is besides the point. I don't like the S7 edge screen, but it sounds like the Note7 edge will be tolerable. Add the bigger battery, USB-C, better camera, micro SD storage, faster charging, SD 820 and waterproofing, you have a pretty decent upgrade.
For me, who has only being upgrading to the next Note every year, it works for me. There is no other phone out there right now that stacks up to this.
It's gonna be the newer snap dragon. Not the 820.

jeepentj

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

I upgrade phones twice a year - going from the Galaxy S"x" to the Note "x" so right now I have the S7 Edge. If the Note 7 turns out simply be a larger version of the 7 Edge with the addition of an S Pen, I'm going to pass on the upgrade.

For me it boils down to this: if I were upgrading from the Note 5, the specs appear to make the Note 7 a pretty exciting upgrade. From the S7 Edge though, not so much.

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

It amazes me that people are turning this situation into a negative.

Samsung saw the desire from people who wanted a phone bigger than the standard Galaxy Galaxy S line, but didn't need the Notes features, so they created the S7 Edge this year to fit that demographic. And people have raved about how great the phone is, overall.

Now, all of a sudden, people are up in arms all over the Internet because the Note may not have a big spec increase over the S7 Edge, and that it's just a S7E with s-pen.

Yes, that's pretty much what it is. And that's awesome! If the S7 Edge was never released, people would be losing their minds over how amazing the Note 7 is, with its huge battery increase over the Note 5, USB C, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site

Well I upgrade every year with AT&T next so not as excited for the 7 as I would have been with a 6 inch foldable screen or 4k but thats next year I guess. But I'll take the IP68, Type C connector, and slightly faster with Micro Sd card back till then. Silver please...

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

It amazes me that people are turning this situation into a negative.

Samsung saw the desire from people who wanted a phone bigger than the standard Galaxy Galaxy S line, but didn't need the Notes features, so they created the S7 Edge this year to fit that demographic. And people have raved about how great the phone is, overall.

Now, all of a sudden, people are up in arms all over the Internet because the Note may not have a big spec increase over the S7 Edge, and that it's just a S7E with s-pen.

Yes, that's pretty much what it is. And that's awesome! If the S7 Edge was never released, people would be losing their minds over how amazing the Note 7 is, with its huge battery increase over the Note 5, USB C, etc.

I thought this discussion was more positive then others. I'm still not sold, but as it's getting closer I'm leaning more towards getting one.

I don't know if the s7 edge is a note without a spen, but if so it's an option for those who don't use spen much.

Posted via the *Note 5*

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Doesn't bug me, no. But I didn't buy the S7 Edge. I think most S7 Edge owners would have a hard time justifying a switch unless they really want the pen. But for Note 4 and Note 5 owners, this is a pretty great update.

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

I thought this discussion was more positive then others.

The reception the last few days has absolutely been more positive here than elsewhere. Go look at reddit, read the comments from multiple Android websites and even some articles from their writers to see that people really are upset over what looks like the final specs. The Galaxy S7 Edge has made people have unrealistic expectations for what the Note would bring to the table. Also, people are ignoring the fact that the Note was never marketed as phone for everyone, but towards people who see value in the s pen.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I mean, the Note 5 was an S6 with a bigger screen and an S-Pen, slightly larger battery and 4GB RAM instead of 3GB. There's only 6 months difference between these devices, there's not going to be a lot of tech jumps.

The weird thing this year was that there was a giant S7, not that the Note 7 isn't that different from the S line. And even that isn't that weird, because last year's S7 Edge was the S6 Edge+, which was a Note 5 without a Pen and with Edge. So there is a direct precedent for two, basically the same phones with slightly different features.

The Note and S lines are always pretty similar, especially last year and this year. And the Note line is always a reflection of the S line.

In 2015 we had 5.1, 5.7 and 5.7" devices. In 2016 it's 5.1, 5.5 and 5.7". Seems like this year makes more sense than last year.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

I think, despite the onslaught of rumors that are beginning to all say the same thing, we still have to maintain a prospective. Nothing is official as of yet, obviously, since Samsung has announced nothing.

But, to humor the rumors of a 3500 mAh battery, 4 GB RAM, and an 820 SoC, I'm more likely to go with the S7 Edge. The US price is "rumored" to be between $800 and $900. I don't need a stylus, and if the S7 Edge will have tantamount performance to the Note 7, I'll keep the extra $250 bucks in my pocket.

People seem to get unreasonably argumentative over this stuff. Android is a line built to suit the unique needs and wants of the consumer. It's 100% understandable some people are upset that the internals might mimic the S7 Edge. The OnePlus 3 offers 6 GB RAM so a new benchmark has been set. Tech companies want to stay ahead of the competition, not be parallel to it. A lot of people thought an 821 or 823 processor would be the Note 7 engine and the idea that the lesser 820 and lesser RAM isn't an abnormal reaction to be disappointed.

We only have four more days to wait and the truth shall set us free. Let's cross our fingers and hope it gets the jacked specs. If it doesn't, life goes on.

Posted via the Android Central App

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

I think, despite the onslaught of rumors that are beginning to all say the same thing, we still have to maintain a prospective. Nothing is official as of yet, obviously, since Samsung has announced nothing.

But, to humor the rumors of a 3500 mAh battery, 4 GB RAM, and an 820 SoC, I'm more likely to go with the S7 Edge. The US price is "rumored" to be between $800 and $900. I don't need a stylus, and if the S7 Edge will have tantamount performance to the Note 7, I'll keep the extra $250 bucks in my pocket.

People seem to get unreasonably argumentative over this stuff. Android is a line built to suit the unique needs and wants of the consumer. It's 100% understandable some people are upset that the internals might mimic the S7 Edge. The OnePlus 3 offers 6 GB RAM so a new benchmark has been set. Tech companies want to stay ahead of the competition, not be parallel to it. A lot of people thought an 821 or 823 processor would be the Note 7 engine and the idea that the lesser 820 and lesser RAM isn't an abnormal reaction to be disappointed.

We only have four more days to wait and the truth shall set us free. Let's cross our fingers and hope it gets the jacked specs. If it doesn't, life goes on.

If an Note 7 is near $900 I will probably go with the unlocked S7 Edge from Best Buy. I jut can't justify paying 900 for a smart phone then add in cases and tax and you're over a grand. I can buy a top of the line laptop with that chunk of money or Ipad. I would give the V20 a serious look too if it comes built like a tank again and beefy specs and will probably be cheaper than a Note 7 too. Maybe even Iphone 7plus too.

I can't see Samsung charging 900 for the Note 7 64gb especially if the specs are not much better than the Edge. I just don't see these selling well at all then unless they're targeting a very small percentage of business users and don't expect to sell a ton of units. Maybe they want the S7E to take the place of most Note users and target the Note 7 for the small percentage of professionals?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I can understand the 6 GB RAM as a desired, but realistically 4 GB is plenty - even the OP3 doesn't use 6 GB of RAM. It just has 6 GB, which on Android is quite superfluous. The 821 as a possibility also makes sense, but the 823 does not. That's a 2017 SoC. Having it on a 2016 phone wouldn't be possible or make sense. But this happens every year with the Note series. Every year, the rumors start with some gargantuan and impossible spec rumors, then everyone finds out it's a Note-ified S phone and is somehow disappointed, even though it's doing what it always does.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

a slightly larger screen, S Pen and a smaller battery?

I'm not that excited paying top dollar for 6-8 month old hardware in a new package. :'(

What gives?

The difference is this is aimed at a different crowd. Obviously if you have the s7 edge then it may seem like little of an upgrade. They aren't aiming for those to buy this though, they want to get note 5/4/3 users to upgrade to this, which would be a huge upgrade.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

If an Note 7 is near $900 I will probably go with the unlocked S7 Edge from Best Buy. I jut can't justify paying 900 for a smart phone then add in cases and tax and you're over a grand. I can buy a top of the line laptop with that chunk of money or Ipad. I would give the V20 a serious look too if it comes built like a tank again and beefy specs and will probably be cheaper than a Note 7 too. Maybe even Iphone 7plus too.

I can't see Samsung charging 900 for the Note 7 64gb especially if the specs are not much better than the Edge. I just don't see these selling well at all then unless they're targeting a very small percentage of business users and don't expect to sell a ton of units. Maybe they want the S7E to take the place of most Note users and target the Note 7 for the small percentage of professionals?

$900 is a lot considering a top of the line phone 5 years ago on a two year renewal would run $199.99. My Samsung laptop with an i5 processor and all of the latest software ran me $650 on Black Friday last year. I'm still trying to digest the enormous cost of present day high end phones.

But, I understand why they're expensive. The research and development going into these devices is a whole new playing field. Companies require more engineers and more raw R&D time. Also the technology in these phones is pretty amazing when you consider that a time not long ago, owning the Motorola Razor made you cool.

I don't think I'm ready to throw down $900 on a cell phone yet. I'll spring for an S7 Edge. Who would have thought cell phones would be more costly than computers lol?

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

The note 7 is a huge disappointment compared to my Ford Escape, but that's not a fair comparison. Neither is the comparison to the S7 edge. They are very different devices, aimed at a different crowd. For those who think the S7 Edge is the right phone for them, it is available. The Note 7 is not an upgrade from it, nor is it intended to be one. Its the large form factor version.

One other note, do you realize that people on reddit, this forum, and all the other internet sites combine to a fraction of a percent of the Note purchasers. So our hatered or love of a device amounts to nearly nothing to Samsung... nor should it. Now take the percentage of users who actually paid for a S7 device and will now be considering a Note 7.... talk about a minuscule subset of the market. Hey all the more power to ya... but you account for a tiny, tiny, tiny amount of business, and are not even considered in the conversation when either device is being developed...(Thank god!)

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

One other note (punny)... A waterproof Note??? How much space does that waterproof enclosure for the s-pen take? More than you would imagine I figure. Sure the battery is a little smaller, a whopping 100mah, but there is a comparatively huge waterproof void inside for the s-pen. All things considered I'm OK with it.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

Yeah it bothers me, but only because I wanted an excuse to upgrade lol. It's really not any better than my S7e except for the spen which I'm not sure I would use enough to justify spending 900 bucks. My wife wants one though as she's not a spec head like I am. If there's a bogof I might still end up with one.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae