Played with the Note 7 for 2 hours today...

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
The screen is 2-3" away from your face. I doubt 4K would make a difference.

Maybe in 2 years when cpu's can manage the battery better, then maybe but honestly 4K is a waste on a phone...Eventually we will be running gtx 1080 ti in our phones lol.

On the contrary, 2-3 inches away form your face is exactly when 4K would make a difference. At a distance is where you won't be able to tell the difference.

Again I don't want a 4K screen. I'm just saying that for any who are interested in VR, it would help.

DasWindows

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
On the contrary, 2-3 inches away form your face is exactly when 4K would make a difference. At a distance is where you won't be able to tell the difference.

Again I don't want a 4K screen. I'm just saying that for any who are interested in VR, it would help.

Unless your trying to say the human eye will be able to spot the pixel density 2-3" away from the face while a video is playing, then i would disagree. Also i would imagine the strain of 4K from 2-3" away from the face would probably give some a headache. Which is one reason why 3-D failed.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Unless your trying to say the human eye will be able to spot the pixel density 2-3" away from the face while a video is playing, then i would disagree. Also i would imagine the strain of 4K from 2-3" away from the face would probably give some a headache. Which is one reason why 3-D failed.

VR is not my thing. I don't want a 4K screen, but you have it backwards.

The closer you are to a screen the MORE you can notice the pixels, and the MORE benefit a higher density screen is. LOWER density is what is more likely to give one headaches from blurriness actually.

DasWindows

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
VR is not my thing. I don't want a 4K screen, but you have it backwards.

The closer you are to a screen the MORE you can notice the pixels, and the MORE benefit a higher density screen is. LOWER density is what is more likely to give one headaches from blurriness actually.

I understand that. I'm talking about the strain on the eyes. That's a lot to look at at such a close space. Not even factoring in the brightness.

Which is why Quad HD is probably the best for phones.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The only advantage 4K would have is for VR, but we are a few fabrication levels away from that being practical. We also need switching options for users to go QHD when not using for VR.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I love this one. Good job for increasing battery capacity. Kindly increase the security and back camera 20mp not bad

Don't be a spec lover.... 20mp sounds great... but the technology has shown that bigger pixels are more important that more pixels. Mega pixels has gotten out of hand in the photo industry. 12 quality mega pixels is far better than any possible result of a 20 mp. Remember you are shoving all of these pixels into a approx 1/4 inch square sensor.

sincere11105

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Hmm, there seems to be conflicting info on the pre-order bonus. I'm hoping they offer the Gear VR like they did with the S7.

Agreed. But I think that they offered the VR with the S7 because they probably realized that the note 7 would be USB C and not microUSB so it really wouldn't be compatible. A lot of people would have probably complained. But rumors are that the new VR would somehow be compatible after all..

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Agreed. But I think that they offered the VR with the S7 because they probably realized that the note 7 would be USB C and not microUSB so it really wouldn't be compatible. A lot of people would have probably complained. But rumors are that the new VR would somehow be compatible after all..

It would make sense if they offered the new VR with the Note 7 to promote it, but that's just me.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
... That's a lot to look at at such a close space. Not even factoring in the brightness.

Which is why Quad HD is probably the best for phones.

I I do understand what you are talking about. This will be the last I respond to this as it is off point, and we both don't want 4K on the Note 7 anyway.

When it comes to your eyes, "a lot to look at" (pixel wise) is BETTER for your eyes, not worse. I higher pixel density is BETTER on the eyes. 4K is better on the eyes than 1080P, without question. The benefit is not noticeable at longer distances. It is quite noticeable at short range, such as when viewing VR headsets.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
People, the Note7 isn't meant to be an upgrade to the S7 edge. It's an upgrade to the Note5.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Samsung Galaxy S7

wonderbread

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
I was gung-ho with 4k for VR purposes until I realized that it's going to be a lot of pixels to push for current generation smartphone GPU units. Hopefully when Samsung and the rest of the industry go 4k, the graphics processing and battery capacity/efficiency are also up for the challenge.

Posted via the Android Central App

DasWindows

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
I I do understand what you are talking about. This will be the last I respond to this as it is off point, and we both don't want 4K on the Note 7 anyway.

When it comes to your eyes, "a lot to look at" (pixel wise) is BETTER for your eyes, not worse. I higher pixel density is BETTER on the eyes. 4K is better on the eyes than 1080P, without question. The benefit is not noticeable at longer distances. It is quite noticeable at short range, such as when viewing VR headsets.

Guess i am mixing things up then. Could of sworn the higher the quality the more strain it has as. The distance thing i am more than aware.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Samsung does not want to invest the capacity and is committed to supplying Apple as well. The last thing they want to do is spend triple digit millions in new facilities and then Apple says, See yah!

Also would likely kill Qualcomm since they would then have idle capacity and no big customer to fill it.

Samsung is happy to contract out to Qualcomm and then tell Qualcomm, See Ya! if Apple says the same to them. Good business strategy.

They did this with the s6 without needing any new facilities.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Don't be a spec lover.... 20mp sounds great... but the technology has shown that bigger pixels are more important that more pixels. Mega pixels has gotten out of hand in the photo industry. 12 quality mega pixels is far better than any possible result of a 20 mp. Remember you are shoving all of these pixels into a approx 1/4 inch square sensor.
It's actually a 1/2.6" sensor diagonally.

But you are right. Squishing 20 megapixels on a sensor of that size is going to make those pixels quite small, causing them to receive less light, resulting in poorer low-light performance due to the need to ramp up the ISO to very high levels, which introduces a lot of noise, which also means noise reduction has to take place, which can smear some detail.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Guess i am mixing things up then. Could of sworn the higher the quality the more strain it has as. The distance thing i am more than aware.
Yeah, you had it backwards. I use the VR with my S6 and S7e and while it's good, it can be pixelated at times. 4k would definitely be a step up, but for any other use case I think it would be pointless. If they could do like Sony and only enable 4k during VR and use 2k at all other times, I think it'd be a win. Guess we'll see next year

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, you had it backwards. I use the VR with my S6 and S7e and while it's good, it can be pixelated at times. 4k would definitely be a step up, but for any other use case I think it would be pointless. If they could do like Sony and only enable 4k during VR and use 2k at all other times, I think it'd be a win. Guess we'll see next year
We're seeing hints of that if the rumor that the Note7 can run in 720p turns out to be true.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995