08-15-2016 10:35 PM
490 ... 1112131415 ...
tools
    If paying full price, I agree 100% with perspective if already have a Note 4 or higher, it becomes a stretch to bridge the value of the cost. On contract it is much easier to bridge. Factor in for media lovers a free 256GB Samsung card and the bridge is really a small step.
    08-04-2016 08:24 AM
    There's really no reason to unless you want the S-Pen. This is why the Note 4 was my last purchase.

I only tried the Note 5 because of the Samsung test drive promotion.
    Heck, if my MXPE had the 820 and an AMOLED to help with battery life- THAT to me would be the greatest device evah'.
    razortaz18 likes this.
    08-04-2016 08:26 AM
    Apple did it. They released the iPhone 4 in June and announced the iPhone 4s in September...they did the same thing with the iPad one time too.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Wasn't that a longer life cycle for the iPhone?

Oh, and right. They launched the 4th-generation iPad a mere 7 months after the 3rd-generation model. Actually, I was pretty sour about that, though that was probably because the 3rd-generation iPad was seriously underpowered.
    08-04-2016 08:58 AM
    I haven't signed up for a pre-order. I have ATT Next with my Note 5 pretty much almost paid off due to all the good offers last year at Best Buy that got me up to like $300 free credit towards the phone. So it only needs like 300 more dollars to be paid off entirely now. So if I upgrade with Next I'd lose all that and start over with a fresh steaming heap of $900 debt again for a phone that is marginally better than Note 5.

So I'm thinking its probably best I skip out on Note 7 and get Note 8 next year. I don't think I'll die sticking with Note 5 for another year lol.
    08-04-2016 10:08 AM
    850 for a phone is a tuff Note to swallow

That's why I prefer on contract...just $300 plus $200 visa prepaid card... Essentially $100 if you count the visa prepaid card which I just immediately use to pay my phone bill anyways.
    08-04-2016 10:12 AM
    Yes I am!
    I can't wait!
    08-04-2016 10:12 AM
    Apple did it. They released the iPhone 4 in June and announced the iPhone 4s in September...they did the same thing with the iPad one time too.

No, they didn't. Iphone 4 was released in June 2010, the 4S in October 2011. I was apple user back then
    njshoremom4gurlz likes this.
    08-04-2016 10:45 AM
    No, they didn't. Iphone 4 was released in June 2010, the 4S in October 2011. I was apple user back then
    This is correct.

As for the Note 7, I just don't think this phone has enough to make me want to upgrade from my Note 5. I have the 64GB Note 5 and besides the edge display, the SD card slot isn't all that much of a must have for me anyways.

I really like my Note 5 and my S7 Edge.
    08-04-2016 10:52 AM
    I wouldn't skip if I was you
    A note 5 or a galaxy s6 edge plus ... I might even grab one of them if it's significantly cheaper or there's a deal.
    08-04-2016 10:54 AM
    Mod Note - let's keep it on topic. Yes opinions are welcome so let's stay on those versus discussing.. What we should / shouldn't be discussing .

Thanks.
    D13H4RD2L1V3 likes this.
    08-04-2016 10:59 AM
    Is the Note7 actually in stores so you can actually see and try one? I thought it was pre-order only at the moment?
    08-04-2016 11:28 AM
    Is the Note7 actually in stores so you can actually see and try one? I thought it was pre-order only at the moment?
    It is at my local Verizon. Just tried one out at lunch. Not a fan of the curve and lack of bezel, but appreciate others do like it that way. That's as pragmatic as I get.
    08-04-2016 11:31 AM
    I would like to...but I'm still enjoying my note 5

skatergirl likes this.
    08-04-2016 11:34 AM
    That's why I prefer on contract...just $300 plus $200 visa prepaid card... Essentially $100 if you count the visa prepaid card which I just immediately use to pay my phone bill anyways.
    But what are you paying for your monthly line access? I am paying $15.
    08-04-2016 11:56 AM
    If you pay $40.00 vs $15.00, you would be paying an extra $600.00 for the 2 year contract.
    $600.00 + $100.00 = $700.00.
    That's still a less than retail.
    08-04-2016 12:02 PM
    If I had a "best post of Tuesday" award, this would probably get it.
    The best part is this: "Most smart phones are pretty great nowadays. Needing SPEC upgrades is totally unimportant to me at this point (perhaps with the battery capacity being the 1 exception.) For example, no benefit would be achieved in everyday use if the Note 7 had a 821 instead of a 820 processor. It would not affect most folks day-to-day use one bit IMO...."

While I AM part of the "I'd really like a removable battery crowd," I can see ways around this battery issue if I absolutely wanted this new device and had a compelling reason to get it over competitors' devices or what I have now. So, I actually HAVE gone to Step 2 and thought about the rest, because this is just about when I get the itch and want something new just because...I want something new. (What can I say.....I have a disease of upgrade-itis.)

The real question is...why? I'm not sure I can find an answer there. Perhaps I'm recovering from upgrade-itis. It's very, very expensive. My Note 4 is still a great device, working perfectly. It does everything I want. It is perfectly configured (and with all the tweaks I have, that is no easy task). So, I get some incremental upgrades in speed like the poster was talking about. Most of them I won't even notice on a daily basis. I do see a couple of N7 features I would like (waterproofing.....!), but nothing that makes me feel that what I am using has become obsolete and in need of a "gotta have it right now" upgrade (I joined this forum in 1999 with VisorCentral; here is how many I have dropped in the water: zero).

I just don't see a compelling reason to upgrade. We have reached an era of "good enough," just like laptops and desktops. Everything does the job. Incremental advances just aren't that compelling. When (a) my current phone starts to show problems; or (b) the collective buildup of new features makes it feel obsolete to me and I'm looking wistfully at my seat companion on a train; or (c) there is finally a feature so great that it makes me say "Yeah! Gotta have it," like in the old days, then it's time to upgrade again. I'm just not feeling it. It looks like a great phone. If I needed it, I might buy it. But I don't see why I should run out and buy it.

I think others have noted this--I certainly didn't invent it--but the manufacturers are acknowledging it, too. We have moved into a different era. Things are changing with respect to upgrade cycles. I just don't see that the impulse to keep upgrading regularly will ever be as strong as it was a few years ago.
    08-04-2016 12:17 PM
    The best part is this: "Most smart phones are pretty great nowadays. Needing SPEC upgrades is totally unimportant to me at this point (perhaps with the battery capacity being the 1 exception.) For example, no benefit would be achieved in everyday use if the Note 7 had a 821 instead of a 820 processor. It would not affect most folks day-to-day use one bit IMO...."

While I AM part of the "I'd really like a removable battery crowd," I can see ways around this battery issue if I absolutely wanted this new device and had a compelling reason to get it over competitors' devices or what I have now. So, I actually HAVE gone to Step 2 and thought about the rest, because this is just about when I get the itch and want something new just because...I want something new. (What can I say.....I have a disease of upgrade-itis.)

The real question is...why? I'm not sure I can find an answer there. Perhaps I'm recovering from upgrade-itis. It's very, very expensive. My Note 4 is still a great device, working perfectly. It does everything I want. It is perfectly configured (and with all the tweaks I have, that is no easy task). So, I get some incremental upgrades in speed like the poster was talking about. Most of them I won't even notice on a daily basis. I do see a couple of N7 features I would like (waterproofing.....!), but nothing that makes me feel that what I am using has become obsolete and in need of an upgrade (I joined this forum in 1999 with VisorCentral; here is how many I have dropped in the water: zero).

I just don't see a compelling reason to upgrade. We have reached an era of "good enough," just like laptops and desktops. Everything does the job. Incremental advances just aren't that compelling. When (a) my current phone starts to show problems; or (b) the collective buildup of new features makes it feel obsolete to me and I'm looking wistfully at my seat companion on a train; or (c) there is finally a feature so great that it makes me say "Yeah! Gotta have it," like in the old days, then it's time to upgrade again. I'm just not feeling it. It looks like a great phone. If I needed it, I might buy it. But I don't see why I should run out and buy it.

I think others have noted this--I certainly didn't invent it--but the manufacturers are acknowledging it, too. We have moved into a different era. Change is gradual, but things are changing. I just don't see that the impulse to keep upgrading regularly will ever be as strong as it was a few years ago.
    I'm surprised at how many of the devices I thought I'd want this year that I just didn't buy. There definitely is a plateau and we may be on it or at least very near to it.
    monsieurms likes this.
    08-04-2016 12:21 PM
    If you pay $40.00 vs $15.00, you would be paying an extra $600.00 for the 2 year contract.
    $600.00 + $100.00 = $700.00.
    That's still a less than retail.
    Yes, if you factor in a Visa prepaid card. Not sure how that deal works and why he was able to score it, but without the card you are paying more.
    08-04-2016 12:33 PM
    If the battery isn't removable, doesn't that mean that the cover can't be popped? And if so, can a SIMM be swapped in case of international travel?
    08-04-2016 12:36 PM
    Is this in theory, or does such a deal for Note 7 really exist?
    08-04-2016 12:43 PM
    But what are you paying for your monthly line access? I am paying $15.
    Line access charge for voice is $15,100gb is $30. Price doesn't change whether on contract or not.
    skatergirl likes this.
    08-04-2016 12:47 PM
    Is this in theory, or does such a deal for Note 7 really exist?
    It was $200 when I did it, now $150

Make sure read the terms. I was able to get it multiple times but some had problems so ymmv.
    08-04-2016 12:49 PM
    Here in U.K. Seems a free VR with note 7

Be interested to try that
    08-04-2016 12:55 PM
    It was $200 when I did it, now $150

Make sure read the terms. I was able to get it multiple times but some had problems so ymmv.
    Where at? Where at?
    08-04-2016 12:56 PM
    Where did you buy yours?

The real question is...why? I'm not sure I can find an answer there. Perhaps I'm recovering from upgrade-itis. It's very, very expensive. My Note 4 is still a great device, working perfectly. It does everything I want. It is perfectly configured (and with all the tweaks I have, that is no easy task). So, I get some incremental upgrades in speed like the poster was talking about. Most of them I won't even notice on a daily basis. I do see a couple of N7 features I would like (waterproofing.....!), but nothing that makes me feel that what I am using has become obsolete and in need of a "gotta have it right now" upgrade (I joined this forum in 1999 with VisorCentral; here is how many I have dropped in the water: zero).

I think others have noted this--I certainly didn't invent it--but the manufacturers are acknowledging it, too. We have moved into a different era. Things are changing with respect to upgrade cycles. I just don't see that the impulse to keep upgrading regularly will ever be as strong as it was a few years ago.
    08-04-2016 12:57 PM
490 ... 1112131415 ...