08-15-2016 10:35 PM
490 ... 17181920
tools
    Right now....probably not.

I don't see it being that much of an upgrade over my S7 Edge. A pen and a .2" larger screen just doesn't seem like it's worth the $200 upgrade, imo. I'll probably wait until LG announces more about the V20 and then make a decision.
    It has the same innards. You'll get a pen, larger screen and a smaller battery
    08-09-2016 11:08 AM
    It will be interesting to see if the display scaling options are actuallyhardware based, since if so would help a LOT with battery life on the N7 (apparently it is). Also wonder since a new curve design if Samsung has mitigated the screen door effect for VR. Perhaps not, since RGB + pentile would be the likely way. Will not know though until tried

If same 820 though, perhaps the S7E might get scaling as well in a future update?
    08-09-2016 11:51 AM
    Well, you might have missed a few things:

In addition to the :
    - Bigger Screen
    - S-Pen

You also get:

- 64GB base storage
    - HDR screen
    - BETTER screen overall with many improvements
    - screen scaling ability for power saving and gaming, etc
    - Iris scanner (if you care)
    - USB-C
    - 3rd party notifications on the AOD
    - freebies now like a 256gb card or Gear Fit 2 free

If choosing between the 2, there are lots of updates. If upgrading FROM the S7E? Well that is debatable ..
    Preach2k, stronggeek and rushmore like this.
    08-09-2016 12:09 PM
    If you aren't using your phone for VR, QHD is perfectly fine. 1080p tv's are fine for most people as well. Everyone has different needs. It's up to the manufacturers to determine where to put their money.
    I don't think many people make their buying decisions based on how hard a phone is to repair. I am sure Samsung doesn't even consider this lately. They put more energy into making a phone that won't need to be repaired.
    not planning to but the point is, companies will be pushing in that direction and it will happen soon...That's the number 1 reason why 4k screens on handies are around the corner the soon. Personally I plan to jump on VR whenever the first and generation bugs and problems of the Vive are fixed.

With 4k comes the need for more power, more power means the need for better specs and that's why I think for me waiting is the smart thing to do.

HDR is great but you need your TV to support it and right now not even netflix has hdr support
    08-09-2016 12:12 PM
    not planning to but the point is, companies will be pushing in that direction and it will happen soon...That's the number 1 reason why 4k screens on handies are around the corner the soon. Personally I plan to jump on VR whenever the first and generation bugs and problems of the Vive are fixed.

With 4k comes the need for more power, more power means the need for better specs and that's why I think for me waiting is the smart thing to do.

HDR is great but you need your TV to support it and right now not even netflix has hdr support
    No HDR from Netflix huh?

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/42384
    Carrtman likes this.
    08-09-2016 12:25 PM
    wow thank you didn't know that
    08-09-2016 02:51 PM
    Does anyone know if the N7 will do seamless updates once upgraded to Android 7.x? Or will that only be on the new Nexus phones coming out?
    08-12-2016 08:41 AM
    Does anyone know if the N7 will do seamless updates once upgraded to Android 7.x? Or will that only be on the new Nexus phones coming out?
    I am fairly certain that the Note 7 won't support this... First issue would be that you'd need 7.0 to make sense of the new partition layout. Secondly, it's also highly unlikely that Samsung will release an OTA to 7.0 that will include a fairly substantial partition remap (if that is even possible in an OTA in the first place). I don't think even the current Nexus phones that wil support N will even see the feature (6P, 5X and 6).

So the phone will have to come out of the box running 7.0 AND the OEM has to buy into the new approach. We know the former won't be the case with the Note 7 and the latter is anyone's guess.
    08-12-2016 09:14 AM
    I am fairly certain that the Note 7 won't support this... First issue would be that you'd need 7.0 to make sense of the new partition layout. Secondly, it's also highly unlikely that Samsung will release an OTA to 7.0 that will include a fairly substantial partition remap (if that is even possible in an OTA in the first place). I don't think even the current Nexus phones that wil support N will even see the feature (6P, 5X and 6).

So the phone will have to come out of the box running 7.0 AND the OEM has to buy into the new approach. We know the former won't be the case with the Note 7 and the latter is anyone's guess.
    No phones that don't come with this feature out of the box will be likely to support it.
    08-12-2016 09:18 AM

Hmm. Then that likely means only the new Nexus phones and the V20 will be able to accommodate seamless updates. Good to know.
    08-12-2016 09:59 AM
    Finally pre-ordered. Black Onyx and will keep my Note 4 as a backup phone.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-12-2016 11:23 AM
    Going for the 6gb 128gb china version in black
    08-12-2016 11:31 AM
    Hmm. Then that likely means only the new Nexus phones and the V20 will be able to accommodate seamless updates. Good to know.
    If LG incorporated this into the V20.. which is not a guarantee by the way. And remember that this new method doesn't really do anything to speed up the release cycle of those updates, it just alters how the physical update is loaded and applied on the phone. An OEM that's slow to market with anything new will most likely still be lagging behind with the new method.
    08-12-2016 03:12 PM
    I've never owned a Galaxy NOTE device but after a few mins of playing with it yesterday, I'm definitely purchasing the device. I love so much about it.
    08-12-2016 04:01 PM
    If LG incorporated this into the V20.. which is not a guarantee by the way. And remember that this new method doesn't really do anything to speed up the release cycle of those updates, it just alters how the physical update is loaded and applied on the phone. An OEM that's slow to market with anything new will most likely still be lagging behind with the new method.
    True. But by the same token, we really don't know if the N7 has been partitioned to take advantage of this when updated to Android 7.x either, do we?

What if a buyer holds out and purchases a N7 when they begin to sell unlocked and with Nougat pre-installed? Is there anyway to know if the hardware is setup in advance for this feature of Nougat?

I really like this feature as I feel the danger of a bad OTA upgrade is minimized with a dual partition seamless upgrade.
    Pippinsky likes this.
    08-12-2016 05:42 PM
    I really like this feature as I feel the danger of a bad OTA upgrade is minimized with a dual partition seamless upgrade.
    After my share of botched OTA updates, I can safely say I like the way you think! Whether or not that is actually an implementation is another story.
    08-12-2016 07:41 PM
    I'm already tired of waiting. Ship it tomorrow please.
    08-12-2016 08:22 PM
    OMG that Blue Coral is gorgeous from watching PocketNow's YouTube video. .I may be changing my mind on the color of the phone now.
    08-14-2016 06:45 PM
    Any AT&T peeps get tracking numbers?
    08-14-2016 06:48 PM
    S7E user here.

I have decided to wait for a month or two to see what problems, if any folks have with the new Note.

My Edge is simply superb and goes like greased lightning. Battery life is outstanding.

I get around 8 hours of SOT. If the Note (Exynos) comes to within an hour and there are no other reported major issues I'll make the jump but only then.
    08-15-2016 03:19 AM
    My T-Mobile version shipped today next day air. I'm anticipating it tomorrow but we'll see.

I currently have the US unlocked version of the S7E.

Reason why I decided to upgrade was more internal storage,better palm rejection, HDR screen, better TouchWiz, scaling resolution, and of course the free fitness band. I'll use it for a week, if I like and think the extra $70 is worth it then I'll keep it. If not I'll return it and pay $50 restock lol.

But chances are the extra $70 I'm paying for all the extra goodies will be worth it.

$779 vs $850

That is the price difference, I think it's likely gonna sit well with me.
    08-15-2016 06:02 AM
    So, the Galaxy Note7 is now official, and all details can be found in the Android Central news blog.

After seeing what it officially has to offer, are you thinking of purchasing one?

Yes or no? And why? Eager to hear your thoughts.
    It sounds and look like a great machine, but since it is kind of expensive, I think I will wait and see people's experiences with it before making a move (and with luck I might spot a good deal while waiting...)
    RobertP1 likes this.
    08-15-2016 07:50 AM
    I have no plans to buy the N7 at this time. I bought my Note 5 in December. If I do buy this phone, it will be in December or in January when I usually upgrade.

I bought five new phones since December so I put a stop to my phone purchasing for awhile.
    RobertP1 likes this.
    08-15-2016 07:57 AM
    I've decided to hold off and see what Nexus brings to the table with Marlin. If I don't like Marlin, I may reconsider the N7, after it hits the stores in unlocked versions. I still want to find out if the N7 comes partitioned so that it can take advantage of Nougat's seamless update feature.
    08-15-2016 08:09 AM
    I still want to find out if the N7 comes partitioned so that it can take advantage of Nougat's seamless update feature.
    Right now, this will be impossible. From what I'm reading, M can not be setup for a second system partition. The ONLY way you'll get seamless updates is if it ships from the OEM with N already on it AND already partitioned. It's not something that can be added after the fact and it's an optional feature as well. So OEM N shipped phones could still not have it.

I guess it's technically possible a later revision of the N7 could be made setup with N and the extra partition, but I don't know if that is likely to happen.

I'll use it for a week, if I like and think the extra $70 is worth it then I'll keep it. If not I'll return it and pay $50 restock lol.

But chances are the extra $70 I'm paying for all the extra goodies will be worth it.

$779 vs $850

That is the price difference, I think it's likely gonna sit well with me.
    Since you're already looking at a worse case scenario of a $50 restock fee, you're actually now at a $20 difference.
    vahdyx likes this.
    08-15-2016 09:26 AM
490 ... 17181920