08-15-2016 10:35 PM
490 ... 45678 ...
tools
    I have the Note 5 in Black Onyx with 64GB internal storage. My second one. First one went haywire in February after an update went wild and out of control.

The second edition works well for me. Bummed about not having 6GB or RAM. Having the SD card slot back works for me. May as well bite the bullet and pre-order and check out the offers. If they offer the 256GB SD card for free, I may go for it.

Unfortunately, I feel that the Galaxy and Note series are becoming like the Madden NFL and NBA2K series games. They roll out just enough new features to make people bite. The only difference is the cost obviously. Hardcore enthusiats will buy it annually regardless. Those that are satisfied with the Note 4 or Note 5 will hold out until the next big thing.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-02-2016 08:25 PM
    I think this will be a disappointment for Samsung. Screen size is barely bigger than the S7 edge. Everything else is identical. Unless you really love the s pen, i don't see why you would get this over the edge. Samsung would have been better served making the Note 7 with a 6 inch screen and 4000+ mah battery.

Samsung makes what they think will serve the most people. I think that 5.7" is the sweet spot for them. Sure, they will lose a few sales by going 5.7 instead of 6,but I am sure market research told them to stick with the same screen size.

If it ends up being unsuccessful then they would rethink things for the note 8.
    08-02-2016 08:26 PM
    I agree, why jump from the edge, no pun intended, to the note?

I have the edge 7 and I'm giving it to my wife for the n7. I've never owned a note and don't think I'll ever use the pen.
    I just think the sides on the edge are too narrow. The n7 looks to be more in line with what I wanted in the S7E. Not to mention I like larger screens.
    08-02-2016 08:29 PM
    Pretty rude for a moderator. Thought you guys were supposed to stay neutral and keep discussions focused without conversations drifting into personal attacks? Guess I will get banned for this comment but hopefully not.

And my response was to the comment posted in reply to an earlier comment by a moderator to the guys saying they were disappointed and not buying the phone
    Moderator Note:

If you get a second can you hit the "report" button on the post you're talking about? Definitely not going to ban you for raising a concern. I don't see the attack you're referencing, but if you point it out - it might just be me reading the tone differently. You can also email me at matt.luciano@mobilenations.com if you want to discuss it further.

We don't have any requirement that our moderators stay neutral in the realm of their opinions about devices, services, products, etc. We do expect them to remain objective when actually doing moderator-ish things - but our team's first job is to just post about stuff; we're regular nerds too and get excited about nerdy s.. stuff.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Jude526, VDub2174 and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-02-2016 08:51 PM
    Yeppers. This is my Xmas! ������
    Happy Christmas!
    Simon_y7 and msndrstood like this.
    08-02-2016 08:51 PM
    Red would be excellent! How we wish but they never listen to the folks that buy the product coral blue give us Red, Navy Blue, hell even Orange these would all be sweet in my opinion.
    Just put a case on and it's your color. You wouldn't be able to see the original color anyway.
    shief24 likes this.
    08-02-2016 08:57 PM
    I don't know if I'll get the Note 7 or not. Here's my thoughts:

The Good:

1. 64 GB storage is a good thing; don't care about the SD card, I won't use it.
    2. 3500 mAh battery is awesome. The Note 5 already had great battery life and now this is 16.67% bigger.
    3. This is probably going to be one of the best screens and cameras in the business for the next 6 months
    4. The software. It looks like Samsung really polished up their software; which I think was definitely needed
    5. The security. Samsung has been killing it on monthly security updates for the S7; I expect the Note 7 to be the same
    6. Not sure I'll use the pen, but I do think it's pretty awesome.

On every previous Note device, 1, 2, 4 & 5 weren't true.

The Bad:

1. The design. Don't really care for the edge screen or the glass back or the off-screen buttons and I'd prefer the fingerprint scanner to be on the back. The navigation buttons are freaking backwards. BACKWARDS! What is this, the mad hatter's phone?
    2. The software. IMO, Nexus just does it better. On everything from look/feel to updates and zero bloat.
    3. The charging solution. Fast charging is good and wireless charging is awesome - but QC 3.0 support on USB C still makes me nervous as hell because of the fact that the HTC 10 can literally kill you for using the wrong charger. I'm not clear on why OEM's aren't implementing USB C with Power Delivery and I really don't like proprietary solutions when they eschew better open standards.

Bad 1 & 2 are really important to me; Good 1 through 5 are really important to me. Are Good 1-5 GOOD ENOUGH to outweigh Bad 1& 2? I dunno. For the last month or so I've been psyching myself up to get this thing to prove that very question. Can I get over a design I hate because the rest of the phone is that good? Am I just flat out wrong about Samsung's design being bad in the first place?

Counter point: The Nexus Marlin will probably be JUST as capable in all the above Good aspects and will have none of the Bad aspects. At a much lower price tag, that's a VERY difficult point to ignore.

This is a very expensive experiment so I need to think this through, but I will say this. This is the first Samsung phone with Samsung software that I've ever considered worthy of this question.
    Wildo6882 likes this.
    08-02-2016 09:03 PM
    I don't know if I'll get the Note 7 or not. Here's my thoughts:

The Good:

1. 64 GB storage is a good thing; don't care about the SD card, I won't use it.
    2. 3500 mAh battery is awesome. The Note 5 already had great battery life and now this is 16.67% bigger.
    3. This is probably going to be one of the best screens and cameras in the business for the next 6 months
    4. The software. It looks like Samsung really polished up their software; which I think was definitely needed
    5. The security. Samsung has been killing it on monthly security updates for the S7; I expect the Note 7 to be the same
    6. Not sure I'll use the pen, but I do think it's pretty awesome.

The Bad:

1. The design. Don't really care for the edge screen or the glass back or the off-screen buttons and I'd prefer the fingerprint scanner to be on the back. The navigation buttons are freaking backwards. BACKWARDS! What is this, the mad hatter's phone?
    2. The software. IMO, Nexus just does it better. On everything from look/feel to updates and zero bloat.
    3. The charging solution. Fast charging is good and wireless charging is awesome - but QC 3.0 support on USB C still makes me nervous as hell because of the fact that the HTC 10 can literally kill you for using the wrong charger. I'm not clear on why OEM's aren't implementing USB C with Power Delivery and I really don't like proprietary solutions when they eschew better open standards.

Bad 1 & 2 are really important to me; Good 1 through 5 are really important to me. Are Good 1-5 GOOD ENOUGH to outweigh Bad 1& 2? I dunno. For the last month or so I've been psyching myself up to get this thing to prove that very question. Can I get over a design I hate because the rest of the phone is that good? Am I just flat out wrong about Samsung's design being bad in the first place?

Counter point: The Nexus Marlin will probably be JUST as capable in all the above Good aspects and will have none of the Bad aspects. At a much lower price tag, that's a VERY difficult point to ignore.

This is a very expensive experiment so I need to think this through, but I will say this. This is the first Samsung phone with Samsung software that I've ever considered worthy of this question.
    I think you need to give the buttons and software a try before writing it off.

I also want more info on the USB implementation.
    monsieurms likes this.
    08-02-2016 09:07 PM
    Not for myself, but for my sister. I already own a fabulous silver S7 Edge
    08-02-2016 09:10 PM
    I need to see the phone and play with it first to decide if I will eventually purchase.From the pics it looks like a nice phone, but there was a rumor that the note 7 would be an edge phone and I don't like the edge thing.
    08-02-2016 09:26 PM
    I think this will be a disappointment for Samsung. Screen size is barely bigger than the S7 edge. Everything else is identical. Unless you really love the s pen, i don't see why you would get this over the edge. Samsung would have been better served making the Note 7 with a 6 inch screen and 4000+ mah battery.

The note 7 aka note 6 was meant for a totally different market than the S series phones

JHStewart1023 and TJA3500 like this.
    08-02-2016 09:31 PM
    I have the Note 5 in Black Onyx with 64GB internal storage. My second one. First one went haywire in February after an update went wild and out of control.

The second edition works well for me. Bummed about not having 6GB or RAM. Having the SD card slot back works for me. May as well bite the bullet and pre-order and check out the offers. If they offer the 256GB SD card for free, I may go for it.

Unfortunately, I feel that the Galaxy and Note series are becoming like the Madden NFL and NBA2K series games. They roll out just enough new features to make people bite. The only difference is the cost obviously. Hardcore enthusiats will buy it annually regardless. Those that are satisfied with the Note 4 or Note 5 will hold out until the next big thing.

Apple does the same thing, only Worse

08-02-2016 09:32 PM
    I may have the stupidest reason to go for N7 -- because #7 is my favorite number. When I got my N3, I resolved to grind my teeth, hold back and wait for four years until N7 to upgrade. When N6 was announced, I thought, oh well, will wait until 2017. (Notice another #7.) But now looks like Samsung has scuttled my perfect plan. I will wait until the Black Friday or Christmas, though, to see what early adopters had said.
    08-02-2016 09:53 PM
    YES!!! As quickly as Verizon makes it available. Wish it was today! Love it!
    Can preorder tomorrow. That's what I am going to do

08-02-2016 10:22 PM
    Can preorder tomorrow. That's what I am going to do

25 more minutes!
    Aquila likes this.
    08-02-2016 10:35 PM
    Better VR image quality could have leant me in favor. If the display was RGB + that would suggest potential visual improvement for VR, but same pentile pixel arrays mean same screen door effect. The Note 4 looks as good as the 5 and 6 models with VR. All have the screen door. Seems if the FOV is greater on the new Gear VR, that should mean even more pronounced screen door than the previous two models. Reason being more FOV should mean wider closer view.

For games more FOV should be good, but movies and video would have better image quality with less FOV.

Note 4 will remain my VR device and MXPE 64gb main phone. Note 7 seems nice, but not seeing $900 more benefit over what I have now, since both devices paid for.
    08-02-2016 10:41 PM
    I have decided to wait. Seeing the phone is over 800. I want to pay off my Note 4. I was going to just turn it in but it's in great shape and I owe 116.00. I will own it and can sell it . Think that's a better plan than originally planning to preorder. Yes I want it. But my Note 4 works well and owning it so I can sell it is financially better for my wallet. The 36.00 a month I can handle but still want to sell my Note 4. Hopefully will make enough to pay off my tablet! I can wait a bit. Use logic now. Now the gotta have it mindset

08-02-2016 10:43 PM
    I may have the stupidest reason to go for N7 -- because #7 is my favorite number. When I got my N3, I resolved to grind my teeth, hold back and wait for four years until N7 to upgrade. When N6 was announced, I thought, oh well, will wait until 2017. (Notice another #7.) But now looks like Samsung has scuttled my perfect plan. I will wait until the Black Friday or Christmas, though, to see what early adopters had said.
    7 is my favorite number too!

Simon_y7 likes this.
    08-02-2016 10:44 PM
    As I said before it looks like after the down payment it should bring the eip payments down to the same as I'm paying now. So I won't be paying more but the same. So its a win win for me.

08-02-2016 10:46 PM
    Yes coming from a iPhone 6 Plus and I will be there early tomorrow to pre-order - preorder is done and I am sitting here staring at my new Gear S2 and I will mail back my iPhone after the new Note arrives.
    shief24 likes this.
    08-02-2016 10:47 PM
    I just got the s7 edge two weeks ago coming from an iPhone 6 plus after two years. I'm more than happy with the s7 edge but I would have got the note if I could just for the s pen. At the same time I love my phone and they are very similar so I guess I'm fine with what I have.
    08-02-2016 11:05 PM
    Of course, I post that I will not get it and then watch the hands- on review linked by blitz118.... Darn it.
    08-02-2016 11:14 PM
    I bought an S7edge as Sammie didn't launch the Note 5 in Europe and I had geek impatience so couldn't wait for the new Note. I'm a Note guy through and through but not spending equivalent of $950 for an Iris scanner (toy-won't work often enough and I have a Trusted Device (Gear Fit 2) so just swipe to unlock anyway), pen, smaller battery and USB C. I'll just end up giving the edge to my wife so all in that'll be $1800 in 6 months for 2 near identical phones. Boo! So wanted a reason to spaff some money on it but now it's unjustifiable
    08-02-2016 11:51 PM
    I have decided to wait. Seeing the phone is over 800. I want to pay off my Note 4. I was going to just turn it in but it's in great shape and I owe 116.00. I will own it and can sell it . Think that's a better plan than originally planning to preorder. Yes I want it. But my Note 4 works well and owning it so I can sell it is financially better for my wallet. The 36.00 a month I can handle but still want to sell my Note 4. Hopefully will make enough to pay off my tablet! I can wait a bit. Use logic now. Now the gotta have it mindset

Yeah, same with me for the Note 5. I'd have to pay off over $500. I'll wait a few more months...even though I ordered a Note 7 case Lol.
    08-03-2016 12:06 AM
    Just placed my order: AT&T blue Note 7. Coming from a note 4. I'll do a $300 down payment which brings the monthly to $24 in 24 installments. Also, for the first time in my life, getting the insurance. Knock on wood, I've never lost or broken a phone, but I also go case-less and I think I've been lucky!

08-03-2016 12:28 AM
490 ... 45678 ...