Are you buying the Galaxy Note7?

nyc

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I think this will be a disappointment for Samsung. Screen size is barely bigger than the S7 edge. Everything else is identical. Unless you really love the s pen, i don't see why you would get this over the edge. Samsung would have been better served making the Note 7 with a 6 inch screen and 4000+ mah battery.

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
maybe I'm just spoiled... I buy a new phone every year. #1 on my list has always been the quality of the rear camera. My current phones, Note 5 and S7 edge, have much better cameras than the iPhone 6s Plus(company phone).

I must have been expecting Samsung to put a MUCH better camera on the Note 7... instead, they put the same camera on it. Now I have no reason to guy the Note 7.(since it has the same camera as my S7 edge :( ) Well, there's always next year... sincerely hope the Note 8 will have a MUCH better camera.... or have we reached the top of what's possible technically?
Well the note 8 would probably have the same camera as the s8

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I think this will be a disappointment for Samsung. Screen size is barely bigger than the S7 edge. Everything else is identical. Unless you really love the s pen, i don't see why you would get this over the edge. Samsung would have been better served making the Note 7 with a 6 inch screen and 4000+ mah battery.

I agree, why jump from the edge, no pun intended, to the note?

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site

The hardware looks the same but the software is different.
I don't know why everyone compares the Note 7 with the S7 Edge. They are designed for two completely different types of users.
Some people can't decide between the S7 Edge and the Note 7.
If you need an S Pen get the Note 7. If you don't, get the S7 Edge, it's that simple.

johnshaft

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I have the Note 5 in Black Onyx with 64GB internal storage. My second one. First one went haywire in February after an update went wild and out of control.

The second edition works well for me. Bummed about not having 6GB or RAM. Having the SD card slot back works for me. May as well bite the bullet and pre-order and check out the offers. If they offer the 256GB SD card for free, I may go for it.

Unfortunately, I feel that the Galaxy and Note series are becoming like the Madden NFL and NBA2K series games. They roll out just enough new features to make people bite. The only difference is the cost obviously. Hardcore enthusiats will buy it annually regardless. Those that are satisfied with the Note 4 or Note 5 will hold out until the next big thing.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Samsung makes what they think will serve the most people. I think that 5.7" is the sweet spot for them. Sure, they will lose a few sales by going 5.7 instead of 6,but I am sure market research told them to stick with the same screen size.

If it ends up being unsuccessful then they would rethink things for the note 8.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I agree, why jump from the edge, no pun intended, to the note?

I have the edge 7 and I'm giving it to my wife for the n7. I've never owned a note and don't think I'll ever use the pen.
I just think the sides on the edge are too narrow. The n7 looks to be more in line with what I wanted in the S7E. Not to mention I like larger screens.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Pretty rude for a moderator. Thought you guys were supposed to stay neutral and keep discussions focused without conversations drifting into personal attacks? Guess I will get banned for this comment but hopefully not.

And my response was to the comment posted in reply to an earlier comment by a moderator to the guys saying they were disappointed and not buying the phone

Moderator Note:

If you get a second can you hit the "report" button on the post you're talking about? Definitely not going to ban you for raising a concern. I don't see the attack you're referencing, but if you point it out - it might just be me reading the tone differently. You can also email me at matt.luciano@mobilenations.com if you want to discuss it further.

We don't have any requirement that our moderators stay neutral in the realm of their opinions about devices, services, products, etc. We do expect them to remain objective when actually doing moderator-ish things - but our team's first job is to just post about stuff; we're regular nerds too and get excited about nerdy s.. stuff.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Red would be excellent! How we wish but they never listen to the folks that buy the product coral blue give us Red, Navy Blue, hell even Orange these would all be sweet in my opinion.

Just put a case on and it's your color. You wouldn't be able to see the original color anyway. ;)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if I'll get the Note 7 or not. Here's my thoughts:

The Good:

1. 64 GB storage is a good thing; don't care about the SD card, I won't use it.
2. 3500 mAh battery is awesome. The Note 5 already had great battery life and now this is 16.67% bigger.
3. This is probably going to be one of the best screens and cameras in the business for the next 6 months
4. The software. It looks like Samsung really polished up their software; which I think was definitely needed
5. The security. Samsung has been killing it on monthly security updates for the S7; I expect the Note 7 to be the same
6. Not sure I'll use the pen, but I do think it's pretty awesome.

On every previous Note device, 1, 2, 4 & 5 weren't true.

The Bad:

1. The design. Don't really care for the edge screen or the glass back or the off-screen buttons and I'd prefer the fingerprint scanner to be on the back. The navigation buttons are freaking backwards. BACKWARDS! What is this, the mad hatter's phone?
2. The software. IMO, Nexus just does it better. On everything from look/feel to updates and zero bloat.
3. The charging solution. Fast charging is good and wireless charging is awesome - but QC 3.0 support on USB C still makes me nervous as hell because of the fact that the HTC 10 can literally kill you for using the wrong charger. I'm not clear on why OEM's aren't implementing USB C with Power Delivery and I really don't like proprietary solutions when they eschew better open standards.

Bad 1 & 2 are really important to me; Good 1 through 5 are really important to me. Are Good 1-5 GOOD ENOUGH to outweigh Bad 1& 2? I dunno. For the last month or so I've been psyching myself up to get this thing to prove that very question. Can I get over a design I hate because the rest of the phone is that good? Am I just flat out wrong about Samsung's design being bad in the first place?

Counter point: The Nexus Marlin will probably be JUST as capable in all the above Good aspects and will have none of the Bad aspects. At a much lower price tag, that's a VERY difficult point to ignore.

This is a very expensive experiment so I need to think this through, but I will say this. This is the first Samsung phone with Samsung software that I've ever considered worthy of this question.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if I'll get the Note 7 or not. Here's my thoughts:

The Good:

1. 64 GB storage is a good thing; don't care about the SD card, I won't use it.
2. 3500 mAh battery is awesome. The Note 5 already had great battery life and now this is 16.67% bigger.
3. This is probably going to be one of the best screens and cameras in the business for the next 6 months
4. The software. It looks like Samsung really polished up their software; which I think was definitely needed
5. The security. Samsung has been killing it on monthly security updates for the S7; I expect the Note 7 to be the same
6. Not sure I'll use the pen, but I do think it's pretty awesome.

The Bad:

1. The design. Don't really care for the edge screen or the glass back or the off-screen buttons and I'd prefer the fingerprint scanner to be on the back. The navigation buttons are freaking backwards. BACKWARDS! What is this, the mad hatter's phone?
2. The software. IMO, Nexus just does it better. On everything from look/feel to updates and zero bloat.
3. The charging solution. Fast charging is good and wireless charging is awesome - but QC 3.0 support on USB C still makes me nervous as hell because of the fact that the HTC 10 can literally kill you for using the wrong charger. I'm not clear on why OEM's aren't implementing USB C with Power Delivery and I really don't like proprietary solutions when they eschew better open standards.

Bad 1 & 2 are really important to me; Good 1 through 5 are really important to me. Are Good 1-5 GOOD ENOUGH to outweigh Bad 1& 2? I dunno. For the last month or so I've been psyching myself up to get this thing to prove that very question. Can I get over a design I hate because the rest of the phone is that good? Am I just flat out wrong about Samsung's design being bad in the first place?

Counter point: The Nexus Marlin will probably be JUST as capable in all the above Good aspects and will have none of the Bad aspects. At a much lower price tag, that's a VERY difficult point to ignore.

This is a very expensive experiment so I need to think this through, but I will say this. This is the first Samsung phone with Samsung software that I've ever considered worthy of this question.

I think you need to give the buttons and software a try before writing it off.

I also want more info on the USB implementation.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I need to see the phone and play with it first to decide if I will eventually purchase.From the pics it looks like a nice phone, but there was a rumor that the note 7 would be an edge phone and I don't like the edge thing.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

The note 7 aka note 6 was meant for a totally different market than the S series phones

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I have the Note 5 in Black Onyx with 64GB internal storage. My second one. First one went haywire in February after an update went wild and out of control.

The second edition works well for me. Bummed about not having 6GB or RAM. Having the SD card slot back works for me. May as well bite the bullet and pre-order and check out the offers. If they offer the 256GB SD card for free, I may go for it.

Unfortunately, I feel that the Galaxy and Note series are becoming like the Madden NFL and NBA2K series games. They roll out just enough new features to make people bite. The only difference is the cost obviously. Hardcore enthusiats will buy it annually regardless. Those that are satisfied with the Note 4 or Note 5 will hold out until the next big thing.

Apple does the same thing, only Worse

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I may have the stupidest reason to go for N7 -- because #7 is my favorite number. :D When I got my N3, I resolved to grind my teeth, hold back and wait for four years until N7 to upgrade. When N6 was announced, I thought, oh well, will wait until 2017. (Notice another #7.) But now looks like Samsung has scuttled my perfect plan. I will wait until the Black Friday or Christmas, though, to see what early adopters had said.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463