Are you buying the Galaxy Note7?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
[FONT=&quot]I'm seeing this "power user" myth crop up again and it needs to be dispelled. Power users are not users of any one particular feature. They're users who push the limits of productivity with the best available hardware. In 2014 the power users probably bought Note 4's. In 2015, the power users would have bought Note 5's or Nexus 6P's. In 2016 they're buying the S7 Edge, Note 7, Nexus Marlin, Axon 7, etc, etc. Real power users are not limited by the features of any particular device, they buy the best device available and then find a way to get their tasks accomplished. Hand them a Moto G, they're still a power user, they're going to get more out of it than your grandfather will. Because it's the PERSON that's the power user, not the S-Pen, or the Waterproofing or the LED flash or any single set of features. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]What kind of a "power user" would throw away 100 improvements in order to gain one that they're just not willing to solve for? That's how amateurs behave, not power users. Power users take their limits and push them. Amateurs skillfully play within the limits as they understand them. If a removable battery is your definition of a power user, I'm sorry but that's just flat out wrong and it's an attitude that no power user would dare admit to because it's an admission of inability to actually be the driver of their own destiny. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]There are several innovations that made replaceable batteries a moot point. Now, several users still PREFER the one solution they're familiar with over the others, but that doesn't make the others cease to exist. And all of the others are better for the device than hot swapping. They're not wrong for having a preference, but it would be wrong for us to take them at their word that they're power users - because a power user wouldn't be lamenting, they'd be out solving problems.

I'm not saying any of this to insult anyone, this is just an important distinction. Power users define their experience, they don't let the hardware define it. They're like MacGyver. They can get you your 10 hours of SOT out of a banana. And give you half of it back to make banana bread. With your shoelace. So let's no longer entertain the myth of power user when the power user says they are reliant on ANY nonstandard feature in order to achieve their status.

[/FONT]
http://www.refinedguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Action-Hero-Toolkit.jpg

I can't find the post but I think the person who was relating power user to a removable battery was simply stating that as a power user he preferred a removable battery and not defining himself by a feature. I think the term power user is very open ended, often misused and really subject to interpretation. Some define a power user by something as simple as how much data they use, others by how well they navigate the operating system or their particular phone. Some sources say 1 in 4 users are power users..... So who knows? I'll bet most people consider themselves a power user and don't have a clue.

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I can't find the post but I think the person who was relating power user to a removable battery was simply stating that as a power user he preferred a removable battery and not defining himself by a feature. I think the term power user is very open ended, often misused and really subject to interpretation. Some define a power user by something as simple as how much data they use, others by how well they navigate the operating system or their particular phone. Some sources say 1 in 4 users are power users..... So who knows? I'll bet most people consider themselves a power user and don't have a clue.

Yeah power users, or anyone preferring one thing or another is totally different from what I'm referring to. In the blog today people were saying the note 5 and note 7 cannot be used by power users because, despite being better than the 4 in every way, they don't have removable battery. But power users will make the most out of a moto G or OnePlus 3 or s7 or whatever. But even then they obviously could prefer one over another.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it's likely for them to release a Note8 a mere 6 months after the Note7. That would leave a pretty sour taste in the mouths of Note7 users. Only Sony does a 6-month life-cycle. Nearly everyone else sticks to a one-year cycle.

Apple did it. They released the iPhone 4 in June and announced the iPhone 4s in September...they did the same thing with the iPad one time too.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
It's one thing to have an opinion but another to constantly trash any new phone that is not exactly like the Note 4. Maybe I was a little too blunt in my reply, my bad. At the same time let's stay on topic and not turn this in to a bashing of the Note 7 thread and keep to the thread title.

I never bashed the Note 7. I just don't believe there's value for the money there unless you're coming from the Note 3 or 5.

Note 3 because the display is no where near what we have now, and the processor is just...old. other than that it's still a great phone.

Note 5 because the battery took a step back in capacity. I would hate to wonder whether or not I have enough battery for my day. Also, storage space. I filled up my Note 4 with all sorts of stuff and my storage was full. I popped in a a 128gb SD card and it easily solved the problem.

But why not the best upgrade from the Note 4? Note 4 has the necessary storage space I need, great display, it's quick to do what I need it to and when my battery went back I was able to swap it out for a new one. But the battery is not something that's making my decision here.

Note 7:
There is no value in an Iris scanner for ME.
The processor is fast which is great!
SD card expansion slot is great!
Water resistance is fantastic!
3500mAh battery is a good upgrade.
Don't like the "edge"

If I were a "new" Note buyer here are my three choices I'd be left with:

Note 3: $170
Note 4: $240
Note 7: $850

I don't see $600 in extra value over the Note 4 even at this point. I would love to have a newer device but I can't justify the price tag.

That's not saying the Note 7 isn't a great phone. It might be the best out there and it's definitely an upgrade from any of the Note devices but when does it become worth it to pay the premium. I'm paying about $22 monthly for my Note 4 through T-Mobiles jump program. To add $10 a month to my bill for another 24 months is something I won't do, especially when I'm almost done paying my Note 4. I'll take a monthly drop of $22 from my bill any time.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I never bashed the Note 7. I just don't believe there's value for the money there unless you're coming from the Note 3 or 5.

Note 3 because the display is no where near what we have now, and the processor is just...old. other than that it's still a great phone.

Note 5 because the battery took a step back in capacity. I would hate to wonder whether or not I have enough battery for my day. Also, storage space. I filled up my Note 4 with all sorts of stuff and my storage was full. I popped in a a 128gb SD card and it easily solved the problem.

But why not the best upgrade from the Note 4? Note 4 has the necessary storage space I need, great display, it's quick to do what I need it to and when my battery went back I was able to swap it out for a new one. But the battery is not something that's making my decision here.

Note 7:
There is no value in an Iris scanner for ME.
The processor is fast which is great!
SD card expansion slot is great!
Water resistance is fantastic!
3500mAh battery is a good upgrade.
Don't like the "edge"

If I were a "new" Note buyer here are my three choices I'd be left with:

Note 3: $170
Note 7: $850

I don't see $600 in extra value over the Note 4 even at this point. I would love to have a newer device but I can't justify the price tag.

That's not saying the Note 7 isn't a great phone. It might be the best out there and it's definitely an upgrade from any of the Note devices but when does it become worth it to pay the premium. I'm paying about $22 monthly for my Note 4 through T-Mobiles jump program. To add $10 a month to my bill for another 24 months is something I won't do, especially when I'm almost done paying my Note 4. I'll take a monthly drop of $22 from my bill any time.

So you're no buying it, got it. Let's get back on point to the thread topic.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

I don't see $600 in extra value over the Note 4 even at this point.

My wife is keeping her $270 new Note 4, one of the best devices Samsung has ever made. Neither of us has any desire for and "edge anything" and I purchased the S7 which is an absolutely wonderful device.

Kilroy672

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
I ordered the Black from T-Mobile. Was going to get the blue. But went with the trusty Black.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm fighting whether I should get it now or wait to see the Nexii devices. I've always been a stock Android guy. Hell, I even switched my family to AT&T so I could get the Nexus 5 since it didn't work on Verizon. But the Note 7 is one beautiful phone. And honestly, it would cover 90% of what I care about in a phone. The other 10% would be updates and some aesthetics. It's also friggin expensive! But then again, Sam's Club has a deal going where if you preorder you get the Gear Fit 2 or the 256gb SD card AND a $150 Sam's gift card. That's a nice deal, but if I'm adding such an expense onto my account, I gotta be sure I won't want a new phone in a month or two when the Nexii come out.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
As an Ambassador I'd expect a better more reasoned response than that! You just basically told me my opinion and values don't matter and to shut up. If that's what you guys really feel may be I need to find another forum. :(

I definitely have a different opinion of the N7 than you but I also believe you have a right to your opinion and your points are valued.

That said, a lot of people are coming over here bashing the N7 and a lot of the reasons are not even reasonable. Like for instance, people saying the N3 is better than the N7. Lol, now that is funny!

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
There's really no reason to unless you want the S-Pen. This is why the Note 4 was my last purchase.

I only tried the Note 5 because of the Samsung test drive promotion.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar