Are you buying the Galaxy Note7?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: I have Note 5 and i found not a single reason to buy Note 7.

That's why I prefer on contract...just $300 plus $200 visa prepaid card... Essentially $100 if you count the visa prepaid card which I just immediately use to pay my phone bill anyways.
Where did you buy yours?
The best part is this: "Most smart phones are pretty great nowadays. Needing SPEC upgrades is totally unimportant to me at this point (perhaps with the battery capacity being the 1 exception.) For example, no benefit would be achieved in everyday use if the Note 7 had a 821 instead of a 820 processor. It would not affect most folks day-to-day use one bit IMO...."

While I AM part of the "I'd really like a removable battery crowd," I can see ways around this battery issue if I absolutely wanted this new device and had a compelling reason to get it over competitors' devices or what I have now. So, I actually HAVE gone to Step 2 and thought about the rest, because this is just about when I get the itch and want something new just because...I want something new. (What can I say.....I have a disease of upgrade-itis.)

The real question is...why? I'm not sure I can find an answer there. Perhaps I'm recovering from upgrade-itis. It's very, very expensive. My Note 4 is still a great device, working perfectly. It does everything I want. It is perfectly configured (and with all the tweaks I have, that is no easy task). So, I get some incremental upgrades in speed like the poster was talking about. Most of them I won't even notice on a daily basis. I do see a couple of N7 features I would like (waterproofing.....!), but nothing that makes me feel that what I am using has become obsolete and in need of a "gotta have it right now" upgrade (I joined this forum in 1999 with VisorCentral; here is how many I have dropped in the water: zero).

I just don't see a compelling reason to upgrade. We have reached an era of "good enough," just like laptops and desktops. Everything does the job. Incremental advances just aren't that compelling. When (a) my current phone starts to show problems; or (b) the collective buildup of new features makes it feel obsolete to me and I'm looking wistfully at my seat companion on a train; or (c) there is finally a feature so great that it makes me say "Yeah! Gotta have it," like in the old days, then it's time to upgrade again. I'm just not feeling it. It looks like a great phone. If I needed it, I might buy it. But I don't see why I should run out and buy it.

I think others have noted this--I certainly didn't invent it--but the manufacturers are acknowledging it, too. We have moved into a different era. Things are changing with respect to upgrade cycles. I just don't see that the impulse to keep upgrading regularly will ever be as strong as it was a few years ago.

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
If the battery isn't removable, doesn't that mean that the cover can't be popped? And if so, can a SIMM be swapped in case of international travel?
If the back is non-removable , the SIM card would be in a tray on the side of the phone or the top.

Pismobeach

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
No. Going to get a Note 5 to replace my Note 3, which is like new. Waited to see the Note 7.. Don't like the S7Edge type screen at all. To bad they didn't ask Note owners what they wanted.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If the battery isn't removable, doesn't that mean that the cover can't be popped? And if so, can a SIMM be swapped in case of international travel?

The back cannot be popped -- the SIM card tray can be popped out from the top though (where you also add the SD card).

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying any of this to insult anyone, this is just an important distinction. Power users define their experience, they don't let the hardware define it. They're like MacGyver. They can get you your 10 hours of SOT out of a banana. And give you half of it back to make banana bread. With your shoelace. So let's no longer entertain the myth of power user when the power user says they are reliant on ANY nonstandard feature in order to achieve their status.

[/FONT][/COLOR]http://www.refinedguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Action-Hero-Toolkit.jpg

I find your illustration to be quite intriguing because isn't MacGyver the one who would make it work with a piece of junk older device rather than with the newest device with all the bells and whistles? So a MacGyver, power user, would likely be able to use the Note 4 and it's features in a way that would get the job done instead of having to pay three times as much for a device that does almost the same things right?

As for me, I'm skipping the Note 7 but I did pre-order a Coral Blue one for my daughter. She's not a power user, just a typical young girl who likes the shiny new devices that look cool plus she likes the SPen to take notes.

Posted from my unlocked S7 Active on T-Mobile

ron s2

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
samsung really ticked me off with the note 7,,,,,not faster than the edge, should have bigger screen, cpu, more ram....i am going to switch to apple or maybe one of the new chineese phones......and that curved screen,,sucks big time...i have the note 4, and will not upgrade...samsung did not do anything i liked...struck out...thought they would be smarter than that....

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: I have Note 5 and i found not a single reason to buy Note 7.

The best part is this: "Most smart phones are pretty great nowadays. Needing SPEC upgrades is totally unimportant to me at this point (perhaps with the battery capacity being the 1 exception.) For example, no benefit would be achieved in everyday use if the Note 7 had a 821 instead of a 820 processor. It would not affect most folks day-to-day use one bit IMO...."

While I AM part of the "I'd really like a removable battery crowd," I can see ways around this battery issue if I absolutely wanted this new device and had a compelling reason to get it over competitors' devices or what I have now. So, I actually HAVE gone to Step 2 and thought about the rest, because this is just about when I get the itch and want something new just because...I want something new. (What can I say.....I have a disease of upgrade-itis.)

The real question is...why? I'm not sure I can find an answer there. Perhaps I'm recovering from upgrade-itis. It's very, very expensive. My Note 4 is still a great device, working perfectly. It does everything I want. It is perfectly configured (and with all the tweaks I have, that is no easy task). So, I get some incremental upgrades in speed like the poster was talking about. Most of them I won't even notice on a daily basis. I do see a couple of N7 features I would like (waterproofing.....!), but nothing that makes me feel that what I am using has become obsolete and in need of a "gotta have it right now" upgrade (I joined this forum in 1999 with VisorCentral; here is how many I have dropped in the water: zero).

I just don't see a compelling reason to upgrade. We have reached an era of "good enough," just like laptops and desktops. Everything does the job. Incremental advances just aren't that compelling. When (a) my current phone starts to show problems; or (b) the collective buildup of new features makes it feel obsolete to me and I'm looking wistfully at my seat companion on a train; or (c) there is finally a feature so great that it makes me say "Yeah! Gotta have it," like in the old days, then it's time to upgrade again. I'm just not feeling it. It looks like a great phone. If I needed it, I might buy it. But I don't see why I should run out and buy it.

I think others have noted this--I certainly didn't invent it--but the manufacturers are acknowledging it, too. We have moved into a different era. Things are changing with respect to upgrade cycles. I just don't see that the impulse to keep upgrading regularly will ever be as strong as it was a few years ago.

Well written, and I agree with this. Most new flagships are pretty great and there might not be that much innovation left on this platform - though that too is somewhat in the eye of the beholder.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I find your illustration to be quite intriguing because isn't MacGyver the one who would make it work with a piece of junk older device rather than with the newest device with all the bells and whistles? So a MacGyver, power user, would likely be able to use the Note 4 and it's features in a way that would get the job done instead of having to pay three times as much for a device that does almost the same things right?

As for me, I'm skipping the Note 7 but I did pre-order a Coral Blue one for my daughter. She's not a power user, just a typical young girl who likes the shiny new devices that look cool plus she likes the SPen to take notes.

Posted from my unlocked S7 Active on T-Mobile

Good point :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana