Are you buying the Galaxy Note7?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I have to say that I think OEMs have have given thiinness too much importance lately. When phones were thicker a few years ago, making them thinner was on many people's minds. Nowadays most phones are very thin already. I

In this case, the Note is so thin already that I bet just about everyone would sacrifice 1mm of thickness to add 500 Mah of battery (which I believe would be possible). 1mm is worth it for me, and I bet most ...

That said, I am happy with the 3500 Mah.
The Note 5 battery was a smaller battery than the Note 4 and yet the Note 5 battery performed much better than the Note 4 battery.

The Note 4 was the most uncomfortable Samsung phone I have ever owned.

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Another problem with Samsung making the Note more of a fashion phone is all the S line fanboys jumping on board and trying to tell others what's important what isn't. Well I'm sorry I decide what's an important upgrade and what isn't...slightly improved specs over an already beastly phone, extremely hard to repair design and a sealed battery aren't with no IR blaster aren't, period.

Will the Note 7 well a lot of phones? Yes it will but the point is it's not future proof...it's probably the last Samsung flagship with a qhd screen, no VR compatibility. Yes maybe phones are at a point now where marginal updates are the norm add to that the cost cutting side...Samsung gets to clear more inventory space of an already 7 months old tech by now selling 3 phones with the same cpu.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Another problem with Samsung making the Note more of a fashion phone is all the S line fanboys jumping on board and trying to tell others what's important what isn't. Well I'm sorry I decide what's an important upgrade and what isn't...slightly improved specs over an already beastly phone, extremely hard to repair design and a sealed battery aren't with no IR blaster aren't, period.

Will the Note 7 well a lot of phones? Yes it will but the point is it's not future proof...it's probably the last Samsung flagship with a qhd screen, no VR compatibility. Yes maybe phones are at a point now where marginal updates are the norm add to that the cost cutting side...Samsung gets to clear more inventory space of an already 7 months old tech by now selling 3 phones with the same cpu.
Please tell us... which phone is future proof?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I can remember my daddy saying, "I'll never need a computer with a faster processor (not processors) than 1ghz."

Well he did and look where we are now. Technology advances at ebbs and flows. Sometimes it is so much and so fast is it overwhelming. Sometimes it seems slow because we don't know what is happening behind the scenes.

Every year I keep waiting for that Samsung phone with the foldable screen they keep working on and testing..

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. Somehow they missed me! ;)
Extensive market research is based on a good selection, not necessarily the amount. Insights program is just one thing they do and that includes all kinds of devices and monitoring how people actually use the device, things they may not even realize themselves they are using a lot.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
If you aren't using your phone for VR, QHD is perfectly fine. 1080p tv's are fine for most people as well. Everyone has different needs. It's up to the manufacturers to determine where to put their money.
I don't think many people make their buying decisions based on how hard a phone is to repair. I am sure Samsung doesn't even consider this lately. They put more energy into making a phone that won't need to be repaired.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
The Note 5 battery was a smaller battery than the Note 4 and yet the Note 5 battery performed much better than the Note 4 battery.

The Note 4 was the most uncomfortable Samsung phone I have ever owned.

I have the Note 4 as well (wife uses it now). The Note 5 is definitely more comfortable to hold, but I don't attribute that in any way to thinness. The Note 4 was plenty thin IMO. The Note 4 had sharper edges, and was WIDER than the Note 5.

shadoweave

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Right now....probably not.

I don't see it being that much of an upgrade over my S7 Edge. A pen and a .2" larger screen just doesn't seem like it's worth the $200 upgrade, imo. I'll probably wait until LG announces more about the V20 and then make a decision.

You'll get a pen, larger screen and a smaller battery

shadoweave

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Right now....probably not.

I don't see it being that much of an upgrade over my S7 Edge. A pen and a .2" larger screen just doesn't seem like it's worth the $200 upgrade, imo. I'll probably wait until LG announces more about the V20 and then make a decision.

It has the same innards. You'll get a pen, larger screen and a smaller battery

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

It will be interesting to see if the display scaling options are actuallyhardware based, since if so would help a LOT with battery life on the N7 (apparently it is). Also wonder since a new curve design if Samsung has mitigated the screen door effect for VR. Perhaps not, since RGB + pentile would be the likely way. Will not know though until tried :)

If same 820 though, perhaps the S7E might get scaling as well in a future update?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Well, you might have missed a few things:

In addition to the :
- Bigger Screen
- S-Pen

You also get:

- 64GB base storage
- HDR screen
- BETTER screen overall with many improvements
- screen scaling ability for power saving and gaming, etc
- Iris scanner (if you care)
- USB-C
- 3rd party notifications on the AOD
- freebies now like a 256gb card or Gear Fit 2 free

If choosing between the 2, there are lots of updates. If upgrading FROM the S7E? Well that is debatable ..

Last edited:

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
If you aren't using your phone for VR, QHD is perfectly fine. 1080p tv's are fine for most people as well. Everyone has different needs. It's up to the manufacturers to determine where to put their money.
I don't think many people make their buying decisions based on how hard a phone is to repair. I am sure Samsung doesn't even consider this lately. They put more energy into making a phone that won't need to be repaired.
not planning to but the point is, companies will be pushing in that direction and it will happen soon...That's the number 1 reason why 4k screens on handies are around the corner the soon. Personally I plan to jump on VR whenever the first and generation bugs and problems of the Vive are fixed.

With 4k comes the need for more power, more power means the need for better specs and that's why I think for me waiting is the smart thing to do.

HDR is great but you need your TV to support it and right now not even netflix has hdr support

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
not planning to but the point is, companies will be pushing in that direction and it will happen soon...That's the number 1 reason why 4k screens on handies are around the corner the soon. Personally I plan to jump on VR whenever the first and generation bugs and problems of the Vive are fixed.

With 4k comes the need for more power, more power means the need for better specs and that's why I think for me waiting is the smart thing to do.

HDR is great but you need your TV to support it and right now not even netflix has hdr support
No HDR from Netflix huh?

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/42384

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if the N7 will do seamless updates once upgraded to Android 7.x? Or will that only be on the new Nexus phones coming out?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if the N7 will do seamless updates once upgraded to Android 7.x? Or will that only be on the new Nexus phones coming out?

I am fairly certain that the Note 7 won't support this... First issue would be that you'd need 7.0 to make sense of the new partition layout. Secondly, it's also highly unlikely that Samsung will release an OTA to 7.0 that will include a fairly substantial partition remap (if that is even possible in an OTA in the first place). I don't think even the current Nexus phones that wil support N will even see the feature (6P, 5X and 6).

So the phone will have to come out of the box running 7.0 AND the OEM has to buy into the new approach. We know the former won't be the case with the Note 7 and the latter is anyone's guess.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I am fairly certain that the Note 7 won't support this... First issue would be that you'd need 7.0 to make sense of the new partition layout. Secondly, it's also highly unlikely that Samsung will release an OTA to 7.0 that will include a fairly substantial partition remap (if that is even possible in an OTA in the first place). I don't think even the current Nexus phones that wil support N will even see the feature (6P, 5X and 6).

So the phone will have to come out of the box running 7.0 AND the OEM has to buy into the new approach. We know the former won't be the case with the Note 7 and the latter is anyone's guess.

No phones that don't come with this feature out of the box will be likely to support it.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

Hmm. Then that likely means only the new Nexus phones and the V20 will be able to accommodate seamless updates. Good to know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non