Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
This article has some good info on seamless updates. According to them, the partition map isn't designed to be rewritten.

Android 7.0: What are seamless updates and how do they work? | Android Central

I guess this part is what you're referring to:
"Seamless updates aren't a requirement for manufacturers. Your existing phone isn't partitioned correctly and won't be able to perform seamless updates. And you don't want a future update to try and repartition it — the internal memory was designed to have its record (a map of where each partition lives) written once and never changed. That means the people who make your next phone might not use the seamless update feature because they don't have to. We know that the 2016 Nexus phones will have it enabled, but nothing beyond that."

What I don't know is if Samsung planned for that and could implement seamless updates once the N7 updates to Nougat. Or maybe not. Is that not a possibility?

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I have the S7 Edge unlocked. Ask me anything. I have the US variant though.

US variant is perfect! (for me)

Does it indeed come with only Samsung bloat pre-installed? Can any of that be disabled/uninstalled? Is all you had to do was insert the sim card from your old phone and you were good to go with your carrier? Have you received any OTA security updates and/or Android updates since you got it?

Any idea when the unlocked S7E became available after the S7E was initially launched?

anon(5373819)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Does it indeed come with only Samsung bloat pre-installed?

Yes it does. Things like Samsung Health, Samsung browser (Which I prefer over Chrome), KNOX, Hancon Office Editor, Samsung Print, Samsung+, and what not.

But to be honest with you it's very minute IMO. I think it's very lean.

Can any of that be disabled/uninstalled?

Some of them can; Hancon Office, Samsung Print, Samsung+, Dictionary, and others can.

Is all you had to do was insert the sim card from your old phone and you were good to go with your carrier?

Yep, I came from an iPhone 6S Plus, sold it on Swappa to fund my S7E. I didn't do anything other than throw in the T-MOBILE SIM. I tested it on AT&T for like 5 minutes. All was fine. Wi-Fi calling works with T-MOBILE.

Have you received any OTA security updates and/or Android updates since you got it?

Unfortunately no, I'm still rocking May 2016 and the T-MOBILE S7E is on July. The rumor is there might not be updates for the unlocked version in the US. There was some controversy on it when Samsung tweeted no updates for this model. As the article stated that's likely false and just someone saying nonsense. But proof is in the pudding, I'm on May.

Any idea when the unlocked S7E became available after the S7E was initially launched?

Think it came out last month if I'm not mistaken. The carrier version came out in March? So like 4 months.

f5a52ef68425a06abef6611333711315.jpg

anon(5373819)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
US variant is perfect! (for me)

Does it indeed come with only Samsung bloat pre-installed? Can any of that be disabled/uninstalled? Is all you had to do was insert the sim card from your old phone and you were good to go with your carrier? Have you received any OTA security updates and/or Android updates since you got it?

Hope that helps

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Hope that helps

Perfect! And thank you.

It all sounded good until the security update issue reared its ugly head. There are some Samsung things I like (browser, calendar, etc.). But I consider it a deal-killer if updates are even less frequent than those coming from the carrier. I hoped it would be quicker than having to filter through Samsung and then through the carrier. So that's a bit of a downer.

My GS4 (AT&T) is on 5.0.1 and the security update is from 11-1-2015.

anon(5373819)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Perfect! And thank you.

It all sounded good until the security update issue reared its ugly head. There are some Samsung things I like (browser, calendar, etc.). But I consider it a deal-killer if updates are even less frequent than those coming from the carrier. I hoped it would be quicker than having to filter through Samsung and then through the carrier. So that's a bit of a downer.

My GS4 (AT&T) is on 5.0.1 and the security update is from 11-1-2015.

Someone predicts that it'll get Nougat faster but not security updates. But that's just hearsay and a shot in the dark.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante