Question about the always on feature

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Most say it uses a very small amount. I just didn't like the idea of my screen being on a lot. I don't need to see it at all times.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Screen always on mode

Has anyone played with or heard about the screen always on, obvious question is battery consumption, which I'm sure most don't know answer to.

My main concern is burn in the screen. Did Samsung add anti burn in to this feature by having it move slightly every minute? If not, I would be concerned with screen burn in.

Thanks for any input

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: Screen always on mode

I recall that samsung has introduced a tech that would stop this from happening...other than the implementation of screen savers. I personally would never leave "screen on."

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

Has anyone played with or heard about the screen always on, obvious question is battery consumption, which I'm sure most don't know answer to.

My main concern is burn in the screen. Did Samsung add anti burn in to this feature by having it move slightly every minute? If not, I would be concerned with screen burn in.

Thanks for any input

Burn in, while a real issue, isn't a huge deal. The s7 moves it's AOD information 1 pixel a minute, in a random direction, so as to keep the screen fresh. Its very subtle, but it seems to work. It used to jump around, but they changed it to a more subtle move with an update after launch.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

I also saw several battery tests, and it did not have a measurable effect on battery life. I want to say that one of them came to the conclusion that it costs about 15 minutes of battery life over the course of an entire day. However, they felt that would easily be mitigated by the amount of battery you would save by not turning on the full screen just to look at the clock.

Remember, only the lit up pixels draw power, and there are not that many on, vs when the entire screen fires up.

Did anyone catch in the announcement that you can now have pictures "always on" I have not seen much mention of it, but I saw a video that had star constellations as a "wallpaper" for the always on display.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

I also saw several battery tests, and it did not have a measurable effect on battery life. I want to say that one of them came to the conclusion that it costs about 15 minutes of battery life over the course of an entire day. However, they felt that would easily be mitigated by the amount of battery you would save by not turning on the full screen just to look at the clock.

Remember, only the lit up pixels draw power, and there are not that many on, vs when the entire screen fires up.

Did anyone catch in the announcement that you can now have pictures "always on" I have not seen much mention of it, but I saw a video that had star constellations as a "wallpaper" for the always on display.
I would agree that lighting the whole phone up every time you get a notification would use more power then 15 minutes worth. I'll try it out, just worried about the screen burn in, it needs to move even if you don't notice it. I use my note 5 as an alarm clock with the time displayed all night, it moves around slightly and no burn in.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

I would agree that lighting the whole phone up every time you get a notification would use more power then 15 minutes worth. I'll try it out, just worried about the screen burn in, it needs to move even if you don't notice it. I use my note 5 as an alarm clock with the time displayed all night, it moves around slightly and no burn in.

I did some more reasearch, the note 7 beta testing units....errrrr...the s7 owners... are not getting burn in. The information moves 1 pixel each minute, in a random direction, and then jumps to a totally new location every 60 minutes. The image, while constant, is never actually static. Apparently this easily offsets any burn in worry. Many are reporting it as mostly static and unmoving, but a 1 pixel move isn't visually noticeable. Others have said that the initial way it handled it was a bigger jump more often, was very distracting.

mynameisnick4

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site

Screen burn in always scares me when it comes to these type of features. I always see the phones that have been on display at stores with bad image retention, but those are extreme use cases. If for some reason the phone does get burn in/image retention from this feature will Samsung cover it with the standard warranty?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1