08-05-2016 10:09 AM
35 12
tools
    Can this be turned off? Wouldn't it be battery drainer?

Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-02-2016 12:31 PM
    It can be turned off. I kept it off on my S7 Edge.
    08-02-2016 12:32 PM
    Thanks!

08-02-2016 12:34 PM
    Is this feature a huge battery killer?
    08-02-2016 04:15 PM
    Can this be turned off? Wouldn't it be battery drainer?

Thanks

They say it uses less than a percent of the battery life.
    skatergirl likes this.
    08-02-2016 04:17 PM
    Is this feature a huge battery killer?
    Allegedly not at all.
    skatergirl likes this.
    08-02-2016 04:17 PM
    Most say it uses a very small amount. I just didn't like the idea of my screen being on a lot. I don't need to see it at all times.
    skatergirl likes this.
    08-02-2016 04:21 PM
    Most say it uses a very small amount. I just didn't like the idea of my screen being on a lot. I don't need to see it at all times.
    I like having my screen on so I am anxious to try this feature.
    08-02-2016 04:32 PM
    On the s7 edge, it didn't use much. Probably 0.5% an hour
    gogoplata1980 and skatergirl like this.
    08-02-2016 05:35 PM
    On the s7 edge, it didn't use much. Probably 0.5% an hour
    That is not too bad.
    08-02-2016 08:06 PM
    Has anyone played with or heard about the screen always on, obvious question is battery consumption, which I'm sure most don't know answer to.

My main concern is burn in the screen. Did Samsung add anti burn in to this feature by having it move slightly every minute? If not, I would be concerned with screen burn in.

Thanks for any input
    08-04-2016 08:27 AM
    I recall that samsung has introduced a tech that would stop this from happening...other than the implementation of screen savers. I personally would never leave "screen on."
    08-04-2016 08:35 AM
    Has anyone played with or heard about the screen always on, obvious question is battery consumption, which I'm sure most don't know answer to.

My main concern is burn in the screen. Did Samsung add anti burn in to this feature by having it move slightly every minute? If not, I would be concerned with screen burn in.

Thanks for any input
    Burn in, while a real issue, isn't a huge deal. The s7 moves it's AOD information 1 pixel a minute, in a random direction, so as to keep the screen fresh. Its very subtle, but it seems to work. It used to jump around, but they changed it to a more subtle move with an update after launch.
    08-04-2016 08:48 AM
    I also saw several battery tests, and it did not have a measurable effect on battery life. I want to say that one of them came to the conclusion that it costs about 15 minutes of battery life over the course of an entire day. However, they felt that would easily be mitigated by the amount of battery you would save by not turning on the full screen just to look at the clock.

Remember, only the lit up pixels draw power, and there are not that many on, vs when the entire screen fires up.

Did anyone catch in the announcement that you can now have pictures "always on" I have not seen much mention of it, but I saw a video that had star constellations as a "wallpaper" for the always on display.
    rushmore likes this.
    08-04-2016 08:51 AM
    I also saw several battery tests, and it did not have a measurable effect on battery life. I want to say that one of them came to the conclusion that it costs about 15 minutes of battery life over the course of an entire day. However, they felt that would easily be mitigated by the amount of battery you would save by not turning on the full screen just to look at the clock.

Remember, only the lit up pixels draw power, and there are not that many on, vs when the entire screen fires up.

Did anyone catch in the announcement that you can now have pictures "always on" I have not seen much mention of it, but I saw a video that had star constellations as a "wallpaper" for the always on display.
    I would agree that lighting the whole phone up every time you get a notification would use more power then 15 minutes worth. I'll try it out, just worried about the screen burn in, it needs to move even if you don't notice it. I use my note 5 as an alarm clock with the time displayed all night, it moves around slightly and no burn in.
    08-04-2016 09:04 AM
    I would agree that lighting the whole phone up every time you get a notification would use more power then 15 minutes worth. I'll try it out, just worried about the screen burn in, it needs to move even if you don't notice it. I use my note 5 as an alarm clock with the time displayed all night, it moves around slightly and no burn in.
    I did some more reasearch, the note 7 beta testing units....errrrr...the s7 owners... are not getting burn in. The information moves 1 pixel each minute, in a random direction, and then jumps to a totally new location every 60 minutes. The image, while constant, is never actually static. Apparently this easily offsets any burn in worry. Many are reporting it as mostly static and unmoving, but a 1 pixel move isn't visually noticeable. Others have said that the initial way it handled it was a bigger jump more often, was very distracting.
    08-04-2016 09:14 AM
    Is there anymore options on there apart from battery and texts/calls
    08-04-2016 09:15 AM
    Screen burn in always scares me when it comes to these type of features. I always see the phones that have been on display at stores with bad image retention, but those are extreme use cases. If for some reason the phone does get burn in/image retention from this feature will Samsung cover it with the standard warranty?
    08-04-2016 09:19 AM
    Is there anymore options on there apart from battery and texts/calls
    According to this video, "3rd party" notifications will now appear on the Always On Display .. Much more useful now. At around 7:43 of the video ...

08-04-2016 10:21 AM
    Didn't have any burn in issues on my s7 edge
    skatergirl likes this.
    08-04-2016 10:28 AM
    From the S7 / S7 Edge crowd... They say it doesn't use much. I had it disabled since I didn't want the screen on all the time.
    08-04-2016 11:26 AM
    Burn in, while a real issue, isn't a huge deal. The s7 moves it's AOD information 1 pixel a minute, in a random direction, so as to keep the screen fresh. Its very subtle, but it seems to work. It used to jump around, but they changed it to a more subtle move with an update after launch.

This. I just wish they used RGB + so less screen door effect for VR. Though AMOLED is the best current choice for VR, pentile is really not due to the screen door. I wish the Gear VR had an optical zoom out option so video would look better. Note 4 is two years old and still looks as good as the 5, 6 and 7 devices. All have the same screen door due to pentile pixel arrays.
    08-04-2016 12:26 PM
    Didn't have any burn in issues on my s7 edge
    Does the screen always on function keep the phone from locking?
    08-04-2016 12:41 PM
    I don't think screen burn-in is a problem anymore really. The demo unit screens are left on all day at 100% brightness.
    08-04-2016 01:25 PM
    Does the screen always on function keep the phone from locking?
    I used fps and it worked fine with aod. Any security method would
    skatergirl likes this.
    08-04-2016 01:35 PM
35 12