Would You Pay the 2 year subsidy, or put some money down, and do monthly installments?

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Pay the (interestingly high) 2 year subsidy, or put some money down, and do monthly installments? I think I know where I'm going to head, but I'd like to hear your thoughts, and why.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I did installment (monthly payments). I will just submit $100 or more each month to it since T-Mobile allows that. That way I can pay it off quicker.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Would you 2 year if you had the choice?

Hmm.. It wouldn't bother me. If a company is giving me what I want for a discount for 2 years I would do it. I don't get the "locked in" feeling since you can always leave by paying an ETF (which goes down each month you're in contract).

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Would you 2 year if you had the choice?
I personally prefer the monthly payment option. Clearly separates device payment and carrier plan payments. Never liked the idea of everything together and hiding the total device cost. Still laugh at some of my friends who think iPhones cost $200 lol

This way once your device payment is over, your bill reduces. Where as in standard 2 year contracts your bill never reduces, if you don't upgrade after 2 years you are basically still paying the same cost as you were paying earlier even though your contract is over.

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I personally prefer the monthly payment option. Clearly separates device payment and carrier plan payments. Never liked the idea of everything together and hiding the total device cost. Still laugh at some of my friends who think iPhones cost $200 lol

This way once your device payment is over, your bill reduces. Where as in standard 2 year contracts your bill never reduces, if you don't upgrade after 2 years you are basically still paying the same cost as you were paying earlier even though your contract is over.

But where arethey hiding fees? Where on the bill? I have a SERO account so I don't know what u mean.

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I do the 2 year contract with Sprint. I'm on a legacy plan with a fixed monthly rate, so the phone will cost me either $350 upfront or $850 over 24 months. Since I have no plan to change companies, and the the early termination fee is less than $400, that's an easy choice.

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I do the 2 year contract with Sprint. I'm on a legacy plan with a fixed monthly rate, so the phone will cost me either $350 upfront or $850 over 24 months. Since I have no plan to change companies, and the the early termination fee is less than $400, that's an easy choice.

Exact sentiments

Shelacios

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Sprint's installment deal I got via text seems reasonable. I was going to wait a BOGO deal surfaced, but I might have to jump on this now.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm on Verizon and they gave me an early upgrade.
I purchased the Note 7 for $363.00 and agreeing to another 2 years of service. Better than $35.00 extra on my bill each month for the next 2 years.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I thought they had done away with those 2 year plans because they had to be more open? I guess not. This is why I switched after my 2 years was up and Verizon wasn't offering unlimited data. I didn't want to keep paying on a phone that was paid off.
I didn't have too many choices and not much money, so I went to tmobile. My dad bought an older phone through tmobile and paid it in full so it doesn't come on his bill.

Posted via the *Note 5*

Shelacios

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
They'll provide the $10 monthly loyalty credit against the installment plan. So instead of the phone costing $840, it's more like $600.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I did the contract price with Verizon, I am on a grandfathered plan so can do contracts yet. Easy decision...$350 for phone after taxes, if I want to leave I can pay the ETF of $350 or less and be in the phone for $700. To buy on device payments or straight out will be $923 including taxes. So do the math, contract is best choice for those that can do it, I can shut service off the day after I get the phone and keep the phone and be $223 cheaper then device payments or paying full price.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm still on this old VZW edge plan so this phone will be $12/month which brings it to $288. Better then the $350 if I went towards this.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm still on this old VZW edge plan so this phone will be $12/month which brings it to $288. Better then the $350 if I went towards this.
Yes, but if your on a plan that allows contracts with Verizon probably good chance you have unlimited data, so with that in the picture, contract is better for me.

Does the $288 include the tax? Device payments I have done, you pay the tax up front.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang