Would You Pay the 2 year subsidy, or put some money down, and do monthly installments?

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I have tmobile. As I always do pay in full when I buy it after trading in a device, but since you only get a couple hundred I might just keep my S7 and trade it in later on at best buy for something or give it to my dad since he has an S5. I will probably just keep the S7 then once I see my Note works fine give it to my dad.

This is my last big purchase for awhile so I expect this to last me until the Note 9 comes out.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I did Verizon 2 year service contract. $300 with $200 visa prepaid card from XFINITY, when using their portal.

I have no problems doing service contracts because I pay $15 for voice and $30 for 100gb data on Verizon, and my bill doesn't go up when I go on contract... So why not? I don't plan to leave Verizon in the foreseeable future. And the subsidy is worth $764 or ~$32 per month compared to full retail. So in essence I am only paying $13 for 100 gb data,for 2 years

Even if I did, I would just pay $350 etf,which tmobile would cover if I switched to them

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I pay for my phones outright. I hate installment plans of any type.
Old phones go to my wife or daughter. If they don't want I Swappa them. I'll at least get 50-60% of the purchase price I paid.

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I did Verizon 2 year service contract. $300 with $200 visa prepaid card from XFINITY, when using their portal.

I have no problems doing service contracts because I pay $15 for voice and $30 for 100gb data on Verizon, and my bill doesn't go up when I go on contract... So why not? I don't plan to leave Verizon in the foreseeable future. And the subsidy is worth $764 or ~$32 per month compared to full retail. So in essence I am only paying $13 for 100 gb data,for 2 years

Even if I did, I would just pay $350 etf,which tmobile would cover if I switched to them

ur deal was sick!!!!!! congrats!!!

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I actually pre-ordered this morning and then canceled it to mull it over. The 2 year contract runs a little cheaper based on the $299 tag (plus the sales tax and upgrade fee unless it's waived) and the $350 ETF if I was to leave. But the more I thought about it I decided to do the installment plan as Verizon will allow an upgrade after 50% is paid for. I switch devices too often and usually switch every 4-6 months. Heck, I've had four different devices since January!

It's an addiction!

tivoboy

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Just fr anyone on a legacy SERO plan they have cancelled the legacy SERO 50$ 500'plan as of last month so there will be no upgrading to a note 7 for me. It would be 10$ more than the 50$ to get to a new SERO unlimited plan which I don't need at all. I'm looking for the next deal on the phone for a very limited data or wifi plan.

komobu

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site

How did you get 100gb of data for 30 dollars? they charge me 80 dollars a month for 12gb!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
How did you get 100gb of data for 30 dollars? they charge me 80 dollars a month for 12gb!
He has unlimited data. He was making a pun on their 100 GB limit on it (they're threatening and taking away people's unlimited who seem to be going over that amount).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Up until About 5 years ago Verizon forced everyone who used a smartphone to use unlimited data. Since then 99% of people have voluntarily left unlimited data for tiered data plans. I am part of the 1% who still use the plan that Verizon forced me to use at the time I got my first smartphone. Verizon has since altered the meaning of unlimited data to mean 100gb

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm on a business contract, and they are still selling unlimited at a great rate. I will grab the upgrade and commit to 2 more years. It is easier, IMO, than ever to keep a phone for 2 years. The rate of change (innovation) is not what it was. My Note 4, as many here have pointed out, is still a pretty damn good phone.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Ever since I switched from my s5 to my current s7edge, I have been using AT&T Next instead of contract. Prior to this, I have always been on contract. The only reason why I went with AT&T Next was because my contract originally was supposed to end mid-September, but at the time that the s7edge was announced, I was eligible to upgrade if I chose AT&T Next. The same thing for my youngest sister whom I got the Note 7 for. I prefer it this way. I was always against it, but now that I've been on it for a few months, it's much better because I can pay off the phone monthly, or, whenever I choose to, pay off the rest of the installments and get a new phone if I so choose.

Posted via the Android Central App

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Since you are paying $20 extra per month on your line, there really is not a subsidy anymore. Either way, full price or contract you are paying the same. Two year contract seems silly to do now, since paying the same and stuck in two year contract. Kind of IMO makes no sense now in regards to cost.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Since you are paying $20 extra per month on your line, there really is not a subsidy anymore. Either way, full price or contract you are paying the same. Two year contract seems silly to do now, since paying the same and stuck in two year contract. Kind of IMO makes no sense now in regards to cost.

Well on my legacy Verizon nationwide plan, I pay the same monthly fee regardless of on contract or off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith