even Forbes has its doubts

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The pretense under which I embraced the Note when I got my N3 is that it was a spec jump over the S line

If the only reason you got the Note was because it was a spec jump from the S line, you were setting yourself up for frustration and disappointment and had to know this would happen eventually. Try getting your phone not based on how much better the specs are than a device released 6 months ago, instead get what fills your needs. You'll be far less annoyed.

Posted via the Android Central App

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
The pretense under which I embraced the Note when I got my N3 is that it was a spec jump over the S line

If the only reason you got the Note was because it was a spec jump from the S line, you were setting yourself up for frustration and disappointment and had to know this would happen eventually. Try getting your phone not based on how much better the specs are than a device released 6 months ago, instead get what fills your needs. You'll be far less annoyed.

Better yet, try not worrying at all about the specs, and worry about how useful / convenient / fast the phone will be overall.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
It's mob mentality. A lot of folks have Note 7 blinders on and only want to hear similar viewpoints. Go against the mob and you get crushed....

I personally wish removable batteries would return, but understand why they won't and have dealt with it. That's not to say people can't still express disappointment that the Note 7 doesn't have it.

It goes the other way too. Note 7 haters get their own blinders firmly affixed just like anyone else. It's like the other guy who posted a thread wanting people to explain why the Note cost more than a budget device. That's not our job, that's Samsung's. If they haven't done it, don't buy it. But if people like it, you don't have to be here commenting on the threads trying to make people feel stupid.

I'm not accusing you of that personally, I'm just speaking in generalities. Again, the mob mentality goes both ways. It happens with every 'flagship' release.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I've read through this thread and replied to a few posts. Overall, I've had a few thoughts....

1) Why is it bad that the Note 7 is an S7edge with stylus and iris scanner? The S7 edge is an incredible device which has sold very well.

2) If you're ONLY disappointed in the Note 7 because you had expectations that it should have better specs than the S7, you're being ridiculous. In my experience, it's better for tech companies to perfect a platform and then build on that platform for future products. Why did you expect Samsung to completely re-design the Note? They only did it in the past because they were continually looking for something that would work. The S7 design works.

3) Everyone can have their own opinion. If you like it, buy it. If not, don't. This part of the forum is for those of us who are interested in this device. There's plenty other forums for phones you like. You could even go to your current devices forum and start a thread where you all provide one another with the validation you're clearly seeking.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Did anyone bashing the lack of internal spec bump on the Note7 consider that if Samsung actually put brand spanking new hardware technology into this phone like the unreleased snapdragon 821/823 and 6gb of RAM that the price might be north of $1,000? They put refinement into the the manufacturing and fine detail into the design, while adding features, upgrading the battery and camera, adding IP68, etc.
I guess if someone buys a 500hp corvette, they want the next one to be 550hp?
I think this will be the best selling Note ever. When everyone flocked to Apple years ago, they thought they owned the market. Samsung kept innovating. It's up to them to keep innovating instead of sitting still like Apple has been the past couple of years.
The Galaxy line is pretty well known now. Probably the most over any Android manufacturer.
Just like the drop in camera MP, the uninformed will immediately say the camera is worse. Just use the phone instead of staring at the spec sheet and running benchmarks.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
^ It happens every year. And you're right. The same people complaining about the lack of significant spec jump, would be the same ones complaining about the 1200 cost

The complains NEVER end no matter what Samsung does. Maybe it's just not time for certain people to upgrade yet, and the only way they can deal with that is to down the phone.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
It goes the other way too. Note 7 haters get their own blinders firmly affixed just like anyone else. It's like the other guy who posted a thread wanting people to explain why the Note cost more than a budget device. That's not our job, that's Samsung's. If they haven't done it, don't buy it. But if people like it, you don't have to be here commenting on the threads trying to make people feel stupid.

I'm not accusing you of that personally, I'm just speaking in generalities. Again, the mob mentality goes both ways. It happens with every 'flagship' release.

I agree 100% I didn't take any offense to your point either :)

steelrain82

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
After owning the Note 1,2, and 4, I always felt like I was getting my money's worth. It wasn't about the specs for me. Well, some of it was, but it was mainly about the innovation. I new the new galaxy s would take everything from the note and improve and then the note would do the same and then some. However, after playing with the phone, it is amazingly designed. Yet, I feel like something is missing.

I don't care about ir blasters and what not (I also own apple products ), but something is missing. I posted it somewhere else on this forum, but I think it has to do with the calendar, and the way the screen curves. It takes away functions, and the screen feels off to me. I feel like they always take away things that the s pen does. To me it seems like the phone becomes less and less of what it was.

shadoweave

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Maybe so, but he sure isn't wrong. The note used to be the powerhouse for Samsung. Now it's merely something to satisfy the masses. And it barely seems to do that.

Truth. Smaller battery than the s7 Edge and all the same internals. Just a larger screen that will draw more on the battery and a pen. Worth 900?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
As I've said before, I'm still using s5. And this will be my first note.
So for me , screen size, ram, etc, will be a big improvement for me. ☺
My concern is all the glass, front and back and dropping and cracking it.
I have dropped my s5 more times then I want to count. And have a tempered glass screen it and only recently have a hairline crack on tiny bit of of it. Not phone screen but tempered glass.
All this being said, I'm pretty sure I will buy note 7.
I've read every review of all other phones. None seem to compare to this one.
I'm sure if I had bought the 7edge, I might not think note was such a upgrade.
So still trying to find a Best Buy or att store on my area that has a demo. 😊

Posted from Android Central.
on Samsung Galaxy s5
I dropped my Note 5 once, caseless on concrete. No glass crack or scratch. I did have a deep gash in the trim above the spen hole, but Samsung replaced that metal assembly that goes around the phone so that damage now doesn't exist.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

If I wasn't so addicted to the spen, now that the screens are larger, I could do without the Note.

I bought the first Note strictly for screen size, probably used the spen once. Didn't really start utilizing my spen until the Note 3.

Yes people want bigger screens and the S line and Note line is becoming really the same. It's good IMO, because some people don't care about the spen and they can save a little money.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
^ It happens every year. And you're right. The same people complaining about the lack of significant spec jump, would be the same ones complaining about the 1200 cost

The complains NEVER end no matter what Samsung does. Maybe it's just not time for certain people to upgrade yet, and the only way they can deal with that is to down the phone.

That is what I said the other day, they are convincing themselves they don't want it.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
After owning the Note 1,2, and 4, I always felt like I was getting my money's worth. It wasn't about the specs for me. Well, some of it was, but it was mainly about the innovation. I new the new galaxy s would take everything from the note and improve and then the note would do the same and then some. However, after playing with the phone, it is amazingly designed. Yet, I feel like something is missing.

I don't care about ir blasters and what not (I also own apple products ), but something is missing. I posted it somewhere else on this forum, but I think it has to do with the calendar, and the way the screen curves. It takes away functions, and the screen feels off to me. I feel like they always take away things that the s pen does. To me it seems like the phone becomes less and less of what it was.

The curved screen takes a little to get used to. I did somewhat with the S6 Edge, but the screen size was just way too small for me.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
People complaining about the specs are clearly jumping phones to find the one with the greatest specs.
Personally, I don't feel the S series and Note are close enough to go back and forth between.
Since I have only updated to Notes the past few years, I have no issue with the specs.
The Note7 isn't supposed to be an update over the S7 Edge. Get that out of your head and you won't be disappointed.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
And the whole "I've had the Note 1234" comment that gets thrown around makes me laugh, because it's like people expect Samsung to just put out the same phone every year and still be successful.

Times change, people change and you move on. Samsung ultimately is in this to make money, not to bend over backwards for people who owned previous versions of their designs.

Heck, I owned 3 straight iPhones before coming over to Android. Doesn't hurt to change things up after awhile anyway. Samsung is attracting new customers now who never would have touched their phones before, which is what you have to do to stay alive in this competitive business.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
And the whole "I've had the Note 1234" comment that gets thrown around makes me laugh, because it's like people expect Samsung to just put out the same phone every year and still be successful.

Times change, people change and you move on. Samsung ultimately is in this to make money, not to bend over backwards for people who owned previous versions of their designs.

Heck, I owned 3 straight iPhones before coming over to Android. Doesn't hurt to change things up after awhile anyway. Samsung is attracting new customers now who never would have touched their phones before, which is what you have to do to stay alive in this competitive business.

I've owned every Note and every one is an improvement from the previous one.. That's why I keep buying them. 😆

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I've owned every Note and every one is an improvement from the previous one.. That's why I keep buying them. ??????
Yep, exactly. The people hanging onto their Note 3 and Note 4 are complaining that Samsung is changing from what they like and people who have the S7e complain Samsung isn't changing enough.
Samsung is trying to put out a device to please the masses. Their profits are showing they're doing something right.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I've owned every Note and every one is an improvement from the previous one.. That's why I keep buying them. 😆
Yep, exactly. The people hanging onto their Note 3 and Note 4 are complaining that Samsung is changing from what they like and people who have the S7e complain Samsung isn't changing enough.
Samsung is trying to put out a device to please the masses. Their profits are showing they're doing something right.