Hope not a stupid question...USB C to HDMI?

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Dropping MHL support is one of the most mind blowing decisions ever, not as bad as dropping a removable battery but close.

Not everyone wants to be online all the time and so MHL comes in handy I love my MHL. Plug it in, and have my sd card movies on my TV without starting my desktop or going online.

But I believe the S 7 didn't have it either.

besweeet

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Dropping MHL support is one of the most mind blowing decisions ever, not as bad as dropping a removable battery but close.

Not everyone wants to be online all the time and so MHL comes in handy I love my MHL. Plug it in, and have my sd card movies on my TV without starting my desktop or going online.

But I believe the S 7 didn't have it either.

I'd rather be hard wired as well. Streaming is nice, but the quality is lacking.

saintego

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site

Gosane

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi.
I was hoping it would work... but I had low expectation.
I connected to a USB-C Hub (usb-c to 4 usb-a, 1 usb-c and 1 hdmi) and NOTHING, no signal. (Even when I plugged the USB-C "input", it did charge my phone but still no signal)
The USB Mouse, Keyboard and usbkey I've plugged in the Hub worked nicely (OTG)... but my hope seems dead for watching on TV

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
https://touchit.sk/samsung-galaxy-note-7-desat-dovodov-preco-bude-uspesny/63554
Slovak review and they didn't find any way how to connect it to HDMI, so probably it's not supported for now. They are mentioning MHL, but there is no mention about type-c to hdmi adapter. So there is still some hope.
I found also this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.displaylink.presenter&hl=en that should work with proper adaptor on any device. Type-C port should allow also charging.

Yep. I tried the app with two different devices. It did not work. How ever both devices were not Displaylink listed devices.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
The problem is the phone was to support HDMI or video out on the USB port. The note 7 does not have it. I tried using an app called Displaylink. Did not work. I tried two different devices and neither one worked. One was a Samsung USB to HDMI that worked with the Note 3. Used the USB 2 to USB C adapter. No go the phone did not see the darn thing.

nobrakes

May 16, 2010
Visit site
The problem is the phone was to support HDMI or video out on the USB port. The note 7 does not have it. I tried using an app called Displaylink. Did not work. I tried two different devices and neither one worked. One was a Samsung USB to HDMI that worked with the Note 3. Used the USB 2 to USB C adapter. No go the phone did not see the darn thing.
I tried with the Apple usb c to hdmi and that didn't work either

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I use a Samsung AllCast hub, it screen mirrors your phone with no wifi internet needed. It makes a wifi connection with your phone and your data streams whatever to your TV.

nobrakes

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I use a Samsung AllCast hub, it screen mirrors your phone with no wifi internet needed. It makes a wifi connection with your phone and your data streams whatever to your TV.
I use a fire tv stick and it works fine but I think some people are looking for a wired option

reintgenrc

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I think that's kinda cheap on Samsung's part to not include MHL support. Other USB-C phones have the support [HTC 10 and G5]. So for my Note 7 I end up using my Microsoft Wireless Display adapter.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I've been using a Screenbeam however not too happy with its performance outside of my home. Sound fluctuates and even cuts out. Also the sound has been a bit out of sync when using outside of my own home.

eboIa

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Just to clarify some thing. USB-C is not support native HDMI as USB-C is responsible just for the connection itself. Over on this USB-C support HDMI passthrough what classic micro USB not supported (it's independent that with USB 2.x or 3.x). MHL was one extended solution on micro USB if the host controller support it then the extended connector can use for HDMI video output. The current problem is that for HDMI through USB-C we need host controller with such HDMI support what some times missing from the current devices (for example Nexuses also such weak devices). So while the USB-C basically could handle the connection and the data is the host not support some data type then the result is... So MHL is basically not for USB-C (no need to search for that) as that extension is for standard micro USB extension and not for USB-C what can handle HDMI streams natively if the host support that data. It's really sad that currently used USB-C solutions on mobiles not always capable to HDMI. Also ridiculous that Google answer to the problem about Nexuses is just that buy a Chromecast for it. It's really ridiculous as the wireless recoded content in this case has more lossy data as the compressed video stream has itself. And also ridiculous that when we buy a top type device we simply could not use it just for such easy operation. Shame on Google also as this could be basic feature on all new Android.