Hope not a stupid question...USB C to HDMI?

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I hope this isn't a stupid question...but does anyone know if the new type C USB port on the Note 7 is capable of HDMI out (with the right cable of course)? Or is that an internal function of some kind that has to be there already?

I'm wondering if the Apple USB C to HDMI could possibly work with the Note 7...or at the very least is this something we might see the Note 7 be capable of in the future as it becomes more mainstream (cable availability?) Is it a built in functionality of the USB C port already (across all devices)?

Posted via the Android Central App

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I hope this isn't a stupid question...but does anyone know if the new type C USB port on the Note 7 is capable of HDMI out (with the right cable of course)? Or is that an internal function of some kind that has to be there already?

I'm wondering if the Apple USB C to HDMI could possibly work with the Note 7...or at the very least is this something we might see the Note 7 be capable of in the future as it becomes more mainstream (cable availability?) Is it a built in functionality of the USB C port already (across all devices)?

I would be curious to know if this works as well. Do you have an adapter handy to try when you get the phone?

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I am looking for an MHL adopter for the Note 7. I used my Note 4 for the overhead projector in meetings. Until I get the adopter I guess I would have to use my laptop.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I don't have the Apple cable I read about nor any type of adapter. What does the industry have against letting it be easy to stream content?
Specifically what I'm trying to figure out...loading movies to my phone (or SD card in my phone), then streaming the movie to a larger TV. Now I'm familiar with Roku, Apple TV and Chromecast but I want to do this with a cable so I'm not using data (and would have a better connection)...AND the real wrench in the equation is that the location where I want to do this doesn't even have wifi access. So a wired connection is the only way (unless someone has some other ideas/suggestions).

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I've actually wondered this myself. Isn't type c supposed to be able to output video and audio natively, or are there different implementations of type c?

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't have the Apple cable I read about nor any type of adapter. What does the industry have against letting it be easy to stream content?
Specifically what I'm trying to figure out...loading movies to my phone (or SD card in my phone), then streaming the movie to a larger TV. Now I'm familiar with Roku, Apple TV and Chromecast but I want to do this with a cable so I'm not using data (and would have a better connection)...AND the real wrench in the equation is that the location where I want to do this doesn't even have wifi access. So a wired connection is the only way (unless someone has some other ideas/suggestions).

It can't be done by a cable connection, MHL is not supported as per my earlier comment.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5300518

Before blindly dismissing this due to previous USB 2 not supporting HDMI, we should look at this. USB C is different from USB 2. For USB 2 to support HDMI a special type of USB 2 connector was required. This connector had extra pins that supported the HDMI signal while being USB 2 compliant. Samsung removed this type of plug and thus we lost support for HDMI at the hardware level.

USB-C "may" support HDMI. The question will be does the Note 7 have the software support to implement it if USB-C provides for it.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I solved my lack of MHL support with a Google Chromecast.

I haven't set mine up yet...but I'm under the impression wifi is required to get it to work? Unfortunately where I need the functionality I described there is no wifi to be had. And while wifi would be preferable from a convenience perspective, I can live with using a cable IF a cable would work.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I haven't set mine up yet...but I'm under the impression wifi is required to get it to work? Unfortunately where I need the functionality I described there is no wifi to be had. And while wifi would be preferable from a convenience perspective, I can live with using a cable IF a cable would work.

This is true, yes, you need wifi.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
So there's no video out via cables at all? That's slightly disappointing.

If they USB-C plug is more or less standard.than you should be able to connect anything that uses it. For example USB-C to HDMI adaptor. There are several on amazon.

besweeet

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
If they USB-C plug is more or less standard.than you should be able to connect anything that uses it. For example USB-C to HDMI adaptor. There are several on amazon.

That's what I was hoping to hear. Let's hope that that's the case.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000