10-06-2016 04:25 AM
96 ... 234
tools
    Totally subjective, no clinical measurements...

I just loaded up a ton of "verified" FLACS on the 128gb card installed in my N7, fired-up my Level Pro BT in-ears and had a listen. The native Music app works just as it does on the N5. It can identify if your files are truly 24-bit and it handles FLACS perfectly. Hard to say if the N7 exceeds the N5, but it's at least on that level. I am extremely happy with it!
    08-20-2016 07:38 PM
    Totally subjective, no clinical measurements...

I just loaded up a ton of "verified" FLACS on the 128gb card installed in my N7, fired-up my Level Pro BT in-ears and had a listen. The native Music app works just as it does on the N5. It can identify if your files are truly 24-bit and it handles FLACS perfectly. Hard to say if the N7 exceeds the N5, but it's at least on that level. I am extremely happy with it!
    Thanks for testing and updating us. At a very minimum this means that the sound is higher quality than the US S7/Edge since those definitely did not match the Wolffson DAC on the Note 5.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-20-2016 08:09 PM
    The right headphones, and/or the right IEM's (with right tips) can make a huge difference in sound quality.
    CehowardNote7 likes this.
    08-21-2016 07:14 AM
    I use Poweramp and out of box found the sound quality on the Note 7 muddy and low output with wired or Bluetooth. Awful is a good word. Did not have this issue with the MXPE that sounded surprisingly good.

Anyhow, I messed around in settings trying to figure the low muddy sounding output and figured out the direct sound control in option needs to be turned off. Usually it is the opposite, so find this odd. Note 4 is same On setting as MXPE for direct sound control.

I am still unsure if the Note 7 sounds equal or better than the MXPE. Did not really focus on audio quality until yesterday, since assumed it would be very good. Speakers of course the MXPE is better, but I mainly use on-ear or buds.
    08-21-2016 07:52 AM
    I use Poweramp and out of box found the sound quality on the Note 7 muddy and low output with wired or Bluetooth. Awful is a good word. Did not have this issue with the MXPE that sounded surprisingly good.

Anyhow, I messed around in settings trying to figure the low muddy sounding output and figured out the direct sound control in option needs to be turned off. Usually it is the opposite, so find this odd. Note 4 is same On setting as MXPE for direct sound control.

I am still unsure if the Note 7 sounds equal or better than the MXPE. Did not really focus on audio quality until yesterday, since assumed it would be very good. Speakers of course the MXPE is better, but I mainly use on-ear or buds.
    Did you try the native Samsung Music app? It's amazing IMO.
    08-21-2016 08:12 AM

I use the full version Poweramp, with FLAC files, wired to my Senn M2https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...C&A=details&Q=
    The sound is awesome.
    08-21-2016 08:22 AM
    Can folks who comment on sound quality of their Note 7's add a note as to whether they have the Snapdragon, or the Exynos version of the phone? Trying to figure out if poor vs good sounding is related to the DAC/Amp being used with each; Or if it's something else affecting sound quality.
    08-22-2016 06:46 AM
    I use the full version Poweramp, with FLAC files, wired to my Senn M2https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...C&A=details&Q=
    The sound is awesome.
    Do you get your FLAC files from CDs that you burn to FLAC, or are you using an HD music service to buy them online, or something else?
    08-22-2016 06:49 AM
    I went to best buy to test the audio output and compare it to that of my OnePlus One (which at least when it was released was one of the best in terms of volume and clarity, although apparently it has some inaccurate levels reproduction for some frequencies on headphones. My guess is that it was designed like this on purpose). For the record, I think the OnePlus One sounds quite good: pretty loud and relatively clean.

The Note 7 display model is an Exynos processor. I confirmed this by downloading a couple of CPU usage apps (no play store access and CPU Z wouldn't install for some reason). The apps found that the processor has 8 cores.

I loaded a FLAC file from my collection which is kind of electronic with vocals. It is a very clean signal without weird distortions that often show up in this type of music. I also loaded an orchestral piece but I didn't have time to test it.

I listened using my Xiaomi Piston 3 in ear headphones. On my OPO, I usually listen at about 4/15 volume level. On the Note 7, I was at 9/15. This is pretty similar to the volume level of the S6 Edge+. It's probably good to note that Best Buy wasn't quiet but it wasn't that loud either.

I found nothing wrong with the Note 7 audio output. The volume was obviously lower, and there seemed to be less bass frequency rumble power in the kind of rolling drone sound in the Note 7's rendition. Remembering how it sounds out of my Dell XPS 12 skylake (which also outputs a Very clean signal, has good amplification, and good accuracy to my ears), the Note 7 sounded pretty similar.

Just for kicks I tried using the AdaptSound custom EQ thing. It uses a series of beeps to do a custom eq for each ear. According to my ENT, I have "A+" hearing, but wow I couldn't hear more than half the beeps. Maybe the best buy ambient noise was part of the problem. I could hear a kind of repeated tapping noise that seems to be used to indicate which ear should be hearing the beep.

After the AdaptSound adjustment, the volume was boosted and I was able to bring the headphone volume down to about 5/15! There was individual frequency EQ as well for each ear (both graphs looked similar but small differences revealed it actually calibrated for each ear separately). There was no distortion after AdaptSound was enabled.

So I know the Exynos model is good. Still have no idea about the Snapdragon one.

For what it's worth, it looks like what makes the OPO really good is the amp. Apparently the OPO uses a Yamaha audio chip.
    RideZeLitenin likes this.
    08-22-2016 11:43 AM
    Also, it looks like the Samsung Player wasn't installed on the demo model. Play Music was the default. Surprisingly very little bloat, and touchwiz was pretty nice actually.
    08-22-2016 11:51 AM
    Did you try the native Samsung Music app? It's amazing IMO.
    There is one thing about the Samsung Music app that I cannot stand: No gapless playback. I don't know why Samsung will not fix this issue with their stock players. I listen to a good amount of music that have no gaps between songs and hearing that small gap in between those songs drives me nuts. LOL

So I use Rocket Player.
    Vaga Liki likes this.
    08-22-2016 01:11 PM
    Do you get your FLAC files from CDs that you burn to FLAC, or are you using an HD music service to buy them online, or something else?
    A lot from HD Tracks, and I definitely do not burn CDs in to FLACs .
    08-22-2016 03:46 PM
    Converted all my CD's to FLAC files a few years ago. Though know that most people will probably end up using online music like HDTracks, Rune, etc,,, I like to be able to have music without being network or wifi connected.
    08-23-2016 06:42 AM
    Converted all my CD's to FLAC files a few years ago. Though know that most people will probably end up using online music like HDTracks, Rune, etc,,, I like to be able to have music without being network or wifi connected.
    Thanks. I appreciate the clarification. FWIW, sounds qualify both over Bluetooth and direct headphones is in my view better than that of the S7 Edge. Maybe it's in my mind after reading about aqstic, but anyway.

08-23-2016 07:28 AM
    Thanks ! So just so I have it right; That's the Snapdragon Note 7 ?
    08-24-2016 06:47 AM
    Thanks ! So just so I have it right; That's the Snapdragon Note 7 ?
    Yes.

08-24-2016 06:52 AM
    Yes.

Thanks !
    08-25-2016 06:19 AM
    I can tell you the Note 7 does NOT have a dedicated DAC just for sound like the HTC 10 does. Neither does it have a a dedicated amp either. Here read this:

Thankfully, the experience is above average, even if not by leaps and bounds. There is no dedicated DAC working in especially this Snapdragon 820 edition of the phone, nor is there an AMP to really drive a good pair of cans like my Audio Technica M50x headphones. That said, Samsung does put its best foot forward by providing plenty opportunity to tweak what they were given to work with.
    09-26-2016 02:11 PM
    i have read through this and i am not understanding. does my verizon note 7 (bought in the us) have APTX blue tooth?
    i am asking because i am trying to pick between two different blue tooth kits for my van, one has APTx and the other does not.
    10-05-2016 08:23 PM
    i have read through this and i am not understanding. does my verizon note 7 (bought in the us) have APTX blue tooth?
    i am asking because i am trying to pick between two different blue tooth kits for my van, one has APTx and the other does not.
    The note 7 does have APTX...standard on every galaxy device since the S4......
    10-05-2016 09:32 PM
    The note 7 does have APTX...standard on every galaxy device since the S4......
    Thanks
    10-06-2016 04:25 AM
96 ... 234