Does the Note 7 have APTX and what sound chip, DAC does it use?

Torm558

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
From what I've read on the Qualcomm page, the n7 will have upgraded audio in the snapdragon version, as they do not mention anywhere of the s7 using the Aqstic codec

See what happens soon enough I guess

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
US Note 7 will have better audio than S7/Edge

About the only thing I've been disappointed with in the S7 Edge is the audio to headphones. The original Snapdragon 820 had poor built in audio. Outside of the US, the Exynos version comes with a dedicated DAC made by Wolffson under a new name after they were acquired by Samsung.

Thanks to the comments section on an article about the Canadian Note7 also using Snapdragon, user @arcane613 reported that Qualcomm had publicised the use of a DAC called aqstic. Between a few of us researching it, it looks like when the 820 was launched, it didn't have aqstic, and even now, it's optional to OEMs.

Aqstic DAC was launched as an add-on to the 820 on June 2, 2016. Qualcomm in their announcement of the Note7 using the 820, explicitly referenced the use of this "integrated DAC (Digital-to-Analog) converter that supports up to 192-kHz/24-bit playback" in the Note7. This hopefully means that the Note's audio out will far surpass the US S7/Edge, and hopefully at least match the Exynos version, which I compared side by side to my US S7 Edge and found to have far superior sound (using my Bose QC25).

References:
1. Announcement of original SD820:
https://www.qualcomm.com/news/snapd...-820-prepare-immersive-dive-mobile-experience

2. Aqstic announcement from 06/02/2006 coinciding with HTC 10 (note that the HTC has additional audio components as best as I can tell):
https://www.qualcomm.com/news/snapdragon/2016/06/02/qualcomm-aqstic-sets-new-standard-audiophiles

3. Qualcomm's press release about the Note7 using the SD820, and explicitly referencing the audio of the aqstic DAC:
https://www.qualcomm.com/news/snapd...sung-galaxy-note7-thinks-big-intelligent-tech

Posted via the Android Central App

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: US Note 7 will have better audio than S7/Edge

I hope you're right about improved audio with the Note7. Someone with a test Note7 phone reported the audio is the same between the Note7 and S7 Edge, but I don't know if he/she was just going off the specs or listened to the same things on both phones. If he/she did I'm guessing it was from the phone's built in speaker(s) and not through headphones. Based only on the June 2nd date I would think the Note7 phones would have already been built, and it would have been too late for the DAC upgrade, but hopefully that's note true.
Guess someone should walk into a place with a demo phone, pair or plug in a set of headphones, and compare the S7 Edge and Note 7 for us. Then we don't have to wait in suspense. ;)

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The S7s use a proprietary Samsung chip that does not support APTX. The note will likely use the same.

This is one area where LG is way ahead of the game with the Sabre chip.

A point though unless lossless, there is no real sonic advantage. Doubtful even 320K MP3 gets any bennie. Even then you need real good on ear or buds to notice. Placebos are powerful stuff otherwise ;)

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: US Note 7 will have better audio than S7/Edge

I hope you're right about improved audio with the Note7. Someone with a test Note7 phone reported the audio is the same between the Note7 and S7 Edge, but I don't know if he/she was just going off the specs or listened to the same things on both phones. If he/she did I'm guessing it was from the phone's built in speaker(s) and not through headphones. Based only on the June 2nd date I would think the Note7 phones would have already been built, and it would have been too late for the DAC upgrade, but hopefully that's note true.
Guess someone should walk into a place with a demo phone, pair or plug in a set of headphones, and compare the S7 Edge and Note 7 for us. Then we don't have to wait in suspense. ;)

Read the third article I linked to, and search for aqstic. It specifically states that the Note7 is using this DAC.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
A point though unless lossless, there is no real sonic advantage. Doubtful even 320K MP3 gets any bennie. Even then you need real good on ear or buds to notice. Placebos are powerful stuff otherwise ;)

You may be right. Placebo is a powerful thing. But I can tell you that the Note 5, S6 with the Wolffson chips were definitely way better than the S7/Edge. There is an audio only review/rating article from the UK that compares phones and rates the S6/S6 Edge(+)/Note 5 well above the S7/Edge and explicitly calls out the S7/Edge for disappointing headphone output. I don't think it was just in my mind. But I wouldn't rule it out either.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The key is the output and gain balance. Weak output and gain means distortion when trying to get the output where it should be. Need low impedance and adequate amplification to support the gain.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
When casually listening to music, I stream from Google Play, often to a BT speaker. I am typically cooking or cleaning at these times, or using music as a backdrop to a family get-together. In these settings, extreme audio specs are completely lost. I could be listening to a 60's transistor radio and it wouldn't matter much. For many people, this is all they need and they'd be fine with just about any old audio tech.

But when I *listen*, I am all in. I play only FLACS (that are really the res they say they are - I check), I only use the Samsung Music app (stellar) on my Note 5 through nice wire headphones/earbuds or if I am mobile, Samsung's incredible Level Pro BT earbuds. I have a FiiO preamp that I may use if I want to better match impedance with certain headphones or to add more gain. In this setting, all of those advanced specs are totally appreciated. My N5 is killer for music and I'd think twice before stepping down to lower specs.

So, I am hoping that we get the Aqstic codec as referenced above. There more info on the 'net if you do a little research. All good sources as of now seem to say we're getting that audio tech in the N7.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm about the same, although when I had a phone with good audio, I subscribed to Tidal's higher end service to get the high quality files. I don't have many FLACs because my taste in music has changed enough since my CD buying days that those I do have, I'm not really that interested in, and I don't pay for FLAC quality HD tracks one at a time due to cost. Last time I tried Tidal though, their UI was terrible for playlists. That was a while back though. For work, I fly a bit, and I commute on a relatively quiet subway, so I love listening to high quality music with noise cancelling headphones during those times. Anyway, this can only be good news. If may not be at the HTC 10 or LG V10 level, but it will hopefully be at least at the Note 5 level.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the informative replies. From them I am understanding that the Note 7, here in the USA, will get the same DAC as the S7, which a little inferior to the DAC in the international Note 7. Okay, I can live with that, because it does affect me listening through my Momentum BT HPs. However, I will be switching up and using my E18 Headphone Amp and my Momentum HPs wired to the E18 and E18 to the Note 7. So, I will be by passing the Note 7 DAC altogether. I hope we all get surprised, and the upgraded DAC is in the USA Note 7.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the informative replies. From them I am understanding that the Note 7, here in the USA, will get the same DAC as the S7, which a little inferior to the DAC in the international Note 7. Okay, I can live with that, because it does affect me listening through my Momentum BT HPs. However, I will be switching up and using my E18 Headphone Amp and my Momentum HPs wired to the E18 and E18 to the Note 7. So, I will be by passing the Note 7 DAC altogether. I hope we all get surprised, and the upgraded DAC is in the USA Note 7.

I might of misread something but thought the 820 in the N7 has additional DAC amp circuits. Did I miss?

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I might of misread something but thought the 820 in the N7 has additional DAC amp circuits. Did I miss?

By all accounts, the N7 will have the Aqstic codec, and should have audio superior to the S7.
The previous poster might have misunderstood that.
-bk

RideZeLitenin

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Definitely hoping the Note 7 will have improved audio. But on the other hand I'm torn between purchasing the N7 and the LG V20, where the latter of the two is virtually guaranteed to have superb sound thanks to its "32 bit Quad DAC".

Last edited:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Definitely hoping the Note 7 will have improved audio. But on the other hand I'm torn between purchasing the N7 and the LG V20, where the latter of the two is virtually guaranteed to have superb sound thanks to its "32 bit Quad DAC" (Plus the V10 had probably the best audio of any phone, period).

If you listen mainly to MP3, it is no harm no foul- unless the N7 has crummy audio, then all bets are off ;) I do not like the dual display on the LG and apparently the 20 has this and might be modular again. I will get the N7 and "chance" the device does MP3's justice :) ;)

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
If you listen mainly to MP3, it is no harm no foul- unless the N7 has crummy audio, then all bets are off ;) I do not like the dual display on the LG and apparently the 20 has this and might be modular again. I will get the N7 and "chance" the device does MP3's justice :) ;)

I'm not an expert but I believe the V10 upscales MP3's into a much better format.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
How can you upscale? The bit rate is what it is. You can't really upscale something that does not exist above the current bit rate. You can in market BS though ;)

FLAC gets some wave refinement since more data to extrapolate from. Even then it is making something from nothing.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I believe the N7 supports Aptx for wireless but perhaps not the new Aptx HD spec. I am a little bit concerned about the poor audio in this device. For $900 it seems unacceptable. I am using an HTC 10 right now. Can anyone comment on whether the International Version would be markedly better? Problem is those phones run 900 without any deals. I could pick up an amp for under $100.

cactuspete23

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Is Aqstic an actual DAC or is it a software CODEC ? Confusing to me..

Anyway, hope that the Note 7 ends up with great sound in both versions. Not having great sound is a deal breaker for me.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

I have 80gbs of just FLAC on my Note 4, and maybe about 3 gbs of MP3s, and that is only because I can't get the music in FLAC, and if I want it, I have to go MP3. But, FLAC is 95% of my music, and all my BT headphones have aptx.. FLAC sounds slightly better coming across BT with aptx.

I am hoping the Note 7 has the upgraded DAC.. From my reading it the same one in the S7, which as I understood, was not all that good. I am a layman at this too. :D

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Is Aqstic an actual DAC or is it a software CODEC ? Confusing to me..

Anyway, hope that the Note 7 ends up with great sound in both versions. Not having great sound is a deal breaker for me.

"The Qualcomm Aqstic audio codec has an integrated DAC (Digital-to-Analog) converter that supports up to 192-kHz/24-bit playback". https://www.qualcomm.com/news/snapdragon/2016/06/02/qualcomm-aqstic-sets-new-standard-audiophiles

It is both. The Aqstic system is the codec, integrated DAC and Power Amplifier.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay