Does the Note 7 have APTX and what sound chip, DAC does it use?

shadow82x

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
Can someone who has the N7 SD820 post their audio observations? Does it get loud through the 3.5mm jack? How's the sound quality?

Last edited:

Torm558

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
Not sure what the confusion is about for this anymore... It's very specifically released by Qualcomm themselves that the note 7 has the same Aqstic audio as the HTC 10.

"The Qualcomm Aqstic audio codec has an integrated DAC (Digital-to-Analog) converter that supports up to 192-kHz/24-bit playback"

"A Qualcomm Snapdragon powered smartphone with integrated Qualcomm Aqstic audio codec is engineered to deliver those sounds—no additional equipment (or dollars) needed. And there has been no shortage of smartphones featuring Qualcomm Aqstic, including the HTC 10 and Xiaomi Mi"

And the link stating this is the same technology going into the note 7:
https://www.qualcomm.com/news/snapd...sung-galaxy-note7-thinks-big-intelligent-tech

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Regarding BT earbuds, don't overlook Samsungs Level Pro earbuds. They are specifically made to work with certain Samsung phones and they far exceed any BT earbuds (in my experience) b/c of their proprietary UHQA protocol. No BT limitations. The Level Pros easily hang with my wired Shure in-ear monitors and Audio-Technica over-ears.

IMO, yet another freakin' amazing Samsung product that is totally overlooked.
Check 'em out if you are in the market.

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Looks like the snapdragon version isn't much better than the GS7 but GSM arena reviewed the exynos version and found audio quality to be loud and excellent.

Looks like I'm holding out for the unlocked international version.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Looks like the snapdragon version isn't much better than the GS7 but GSM arena reviewed the exynos version and found audio quality to be loud and excellent.

Looks like I'm holding out for the unlocked international version.

If you look at the specs that gsm arena gave for the two phones on audio, they are identical - ie. a 24-bit/192KHz audio. Also, they have a separate review for the US Note7 in which they said exactly the same about audio. In addition, if you get an International version, you can't take advantage of things like VoLTE and VoWiFi on T-Mobile, etc. At least you couldn't with the S7/Edge.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
If you look at the specs that gsm arena gave for the two phones on audio, they are identical - ie. a 24-bit/192KHz audio. Also, they have a separate review for the US Note7 in which they said exactly the same about audio. In addition, if you get an International version, you can't take advantage of things like VoLTE and VoWiFi on T-Mobile, etc. At least you couldn't with the S7/Edge.
Yeah, many devices can play back high resolution files. Those are not the specs that matter.

In reality specs don't mean much for audio quality.
Not sure what the confusion is about for this anymore... It's very specifically released by Qualcomm themselves that the note 7 has the same Aqstic audio as the HTC 10.

"The Qualcomm Aqstic audio codec has an integrated DAC (Digital-to-Analog) converter that supports up to 192-kHz/24-bit playback"

"A Qualcomm Snapdragon powered smartphone with integrated Qualcomm Aqstic audio codec is engineered to deliver those sounds—no additional equipment (or dollars) needed. And there has been no shortage of smartphones featuring Qualcomm Aqstic, including the HTC 10 and Xiaomi Mi"

And the link stating this is the same technology going into the note 7:
https://www.qualcomm.com/news/snapd...sung-galaxy-note7-thinks-big-intelligent-tech
Weird. Aqstic must have been ready much earlier than was made public. The HTC 10 launched much earlier than June when aqstic was announced.
Aqstic must be Qualcomm's answer to ESS and Wolfson DAC's with headphone amp.
Sure it's a response, but I don't the quality is the same.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, many devices can play back high resolution files. Those are not the specs that matter.

In reality specs don't mean much for audio quality.

Weird. Aqstic must have been ready much earlier than was made public. The HTC 10 launched much earlier than June when aqstic was announced.

Sure it's a response, but I don't the quality is the same.

I think the only way we'll know for sure is to try. For me it's important that the audio quality is better than the US S7 Edge. So the fact that there is this aqstic is keeping me a bit optimistic about it, since Samsung could have just chosen the regular SD820 without it like it did for the S7/Edge, but chose not to. Hopefully they did so because of feedback, and hopefully it will be significantly better. We'll know (again hopefully) later this week.

Posted via the Android Central App

cactuspete23

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
For my "older ears" I find that a GOOD recording at 16/44.1 (CD quality), sounds great with good earphones. So, though 24/192 has more audio information, it's way beyond what I can hear' and it makes huge files to store. Usually, I will resample 24/192 down to 24/48 for portable devices.

Having a DAC that ia able to do higher rates, is kind of like having an Amp that can provide several times more power than I need for Speakers. It helps ensure that sound quality is clean and clear when it is "loafing" along....

A really good headphone amp, can make a DAC that is limited to CD quality, really sound great ! A poor headphone amp can make a 32/384 DAC sound like crap...

Why does Samsung make Enyos and Snapdragon versions of their phones? Seems like that takes extra/un-needed effort?

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
For my "older ears" I find that a GOOD recording at 16/44.1 (CD quality), sounds great with good earphones. So, though 24/192 has more audio information, it's way beyond what I can hear' and it makes huge files to store. Usually, I will resample 24/192 down to 24/48 for portable devices.

Having a DAC that ia able to do higher rates, is kind of like having an Amp that can provide several times more power than I need for Speakers. It helps ensure that sound quality is clean and clear when it is "loafing" along....

A really good headphone amp, can make a DAC that is limited to CD quality, really sound great ! A poor headphone amp can make a 32/384 DAC sound like crap...

Why does Samsung make Enyos and Snapdragon versions of their phones? Seems like that takes extra/un-needed effort?

One of the reasons that they keep using Snapdragon is that Qualcomm still owns the patent for CDMA, and it's cheaper to get a CPU integrated with CDMA than to build an Exynos chip and then pay Qualcomm separately for a separate CDMA module.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
One of the reasons that they keep using Snapdragon is that Qualcomm still owns the patent for CDMA, and it's cheaper to get a CPU integrated with CDMA than to build an Exynos chip and then pay Qualcomm separately for a separate CDMA module.

Exactly the case.
Looking forward to my own assessment of the N7 audio later today. I won't be measuring anything, just comparing to the N5 - which is awesome IMO.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Man, sounds like you're missing out on the real capabilities of that Fiio by only using BT headphones though.

No matter how good the Note 7 audio is it's not going to match your Fiio. It might be good enough for you to be ok with it, but it won't even be close.

As you know, my Filo X5ii is not BT.. I can only my BT headphones WIRED to the Filo. I heard the Filo X7 is BT... Will see..I do plan on going up a notch to some good close back high end cans..

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
If you're a fan of the "Senn sound" then the Momentum 2 would be a good choice (though they are a bit bassier than open Senns). If you're open to other brands Audio-Technica has the M series which are very well regarded. I have the M40x. They are "flat" sounding which is what I prefer, but the M50x have more of a "fun" sound so they are slightly v-shaped, with more bass and a bit more treble.

All of the above are over-ear so they're going to be a bit less portable than on-ear designs. If you're looking for something that is super portable I'd recommend the V-Moda XS. I have them and they are great.

Honestly, there are a LOT of great headphones out there. It can be hard, but try to listen to a few to get an idea of what you like. You can read all day long about them, but that won't do much if you haven't heard them to be able to apply those reviews and opinions to your own experience.

"Going a bit higher-end, there are the NAD Viso HP50's, and the Oppo PM3's."

Yup, the above is where I am headed... :D

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Totally subjective, no clinical measurements...

I just loaded up a ton of "verified" FLACS on the 128gb card installed in my N7, fired-up my Level Pro BT in-ears and had a listen. The native Music app works just as it does on the N5. It can identify if your files are truly 24-bit and it handles FLACS perfectly. Hard to say if the N7 exceeds the N5, but it's at least on that level. I am extremely happy with it!

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Totally subjective, no clinical measurements...

I just loaded up a ton of "verified" FLACS on the 128gb card installed in my N7, fired-up my Level Pro BT in-ears and had a listen. The native Music app works just as it does on the N5. It can identify if your files are truly 24-bit and it handles FLACS perfectly. Hard to say if the N7 exceeds the N5, but it's at least on that level. I am extremely happy with it!

Thanks for testing and updating us. At a very minimum this means that the sound is higher quality than the US S7/Edge since those definitely did not match the Wolffson DAC on the Note 5.

Posted via the Android Central App

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I use Poweramp and out of box found the sound quality on the Note 7 muddy and low output with wired or Bluetooth. Awful is a good word. Did not have this issue with the MXPE that sounded surprisingly good.

Anyhow, I messed around in settings trying to figure the low muddy sounding output and figured out the direct sound control in option needs to be turned off. Usually it is the opposite, so find this odd. Note 4 is same On setting as MXPE for direct sound control.

I am still unsure if the Note 7 sounds equal or better than the MXPE. Did not really focus on audio quality until yesterday, since assumed it would be very good. Speakers of course the MXPE is better, but I mainly use on-ear or buds.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I use Poweramp and out of box found the sound quality on the Note 7 muddy and low output with wired or Bluetooth. Awful is a good word. Did not have this issue with the MXPE that sounded surprisingly good.

Anyhow, I messed around in settings trying to figure the low muddy sounding output and figured out the direct sound control in option needs to be turned off. Usually it is the opposite, so find this odd. Note 4 is same On setting as MXPE for direct sound control.

I am still unsure if the Note 7 sounds equal or better than the MXPE. Did not really focus on audio quality until yesterday, since assumed it would be very good. Speakers of course the MXPE is better, but I mainly use on-ear or buds.

Did you try the native Samsung Music app? It's amazing IMO.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech