Does the Note 7 have APTX and what sound chip, DAC does it use?

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
The S7s use a proprietary Samsung chip that does not support APTX. The note will likely use the same.

This is one area where LG is way ahead of the game with the Sabre chip.

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Note 7 DAC

Saw a post on Reddit that the N7 has the same DAC as the HTC 10. Huge if true. Can anyone confirm?

Posted via the Android Central App

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: Note 7 DAC

Saw a post on Reddit that the N7 has the same DAC as the HTC 10. Huge if true. Can anyone confirm?

Thats same DAC is used in pretty much every Snapdragon 820 device, the differentiating factor with the HTC 10 is the dedicated amplifier they also included which allows it power higher impedance headphones.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Thats same DAC is used in pretty much every Snapdragon 820 device, the differentiating factor with the HTC 10 is the dedicated amplifier they also included which allows it power higher impedance headphones.
Pretty sure I saw Jerry post somewhere that HTC did not use the snapdragon DAC.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Pretty sure I saw Jerry post somewhere that HTC did not use the snapdragon DAC.

HTC 10 audio testing — BoomSound evolved | Android Central

Qualcomm's Snapdragon 820[FONT=&quot] does a lot of things right, but clear audio isn't one of those things. Something in the digital to analog converter circuit introduces an extreme amount of noise and crosstalk into the analog output, and phones like the U.S. [/FONT]Galaxy S7[FONT=&quot] and [/FONT]LG G5[FONT=&quot] sound pretty poor because of this. After doing some testing, I was presented with results that just didn't make sense from the HTC 10 — it was better than it should be, even with extra work and attention to the analog circuit that brings signal from the DAC output to the headphone jack. You can only do so much magic to a bad signal. I asked HTC how they did it, and found out that some assumptions about the HTC 10 audio hardware that the internet (and myself) has are incorrect. [/FONT]The HTC 10 uses a stand-alone DAC as well as headphone amp and isn't using the Snapdragon 820 DAC.[FONT=&quot] This is pretty important, and why the HTC 10 sounds as good as it does.[/FONT]

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Which brings us back to my question as to whether the N7 uses the same DAC as the 10.
I'm just as interested in knowing this as you are, since my biggest issue with the S7e is/was the average audio quality.

Hopefully someone can confirm this.

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site

I'm just as interested in knowing this as you are, since my biggest issue with the S7e is/was the average audio quality.

Hopefully someone can confirm this.

At least on the S7 you can buy the Exynos version unlocked and get better audio quality among other things.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

The US version uses the Snapdragon 820 referenced above just like the S7 and S7 Edge. The EMEA versions use the Exynos chip with a separate external DAC made by Samsung by the folks who made their Wolffson DACs in the past. They acquirred them.

When I was in the Netherlands, for work I took some high quality audio with me and played it through the 935F (European unlocked Exynos S7 Edge), and it sounded decidedly better than my US T-Mobile S7 Edge. But the US and EMEA Note 5 and S6 Edge+ (even regular S6) had the Wolffson, which handily beat all of the S7s and was not far off from the HTC 10.

So unfortunately the US N7's audio will suck. Also, please note that the Exynos versions, while being network unlocked, do not support Voice over WiFi or VOLTE at least for the S7 family. In my case, with T-Mobile's Band 12 LTE being what gives my phone a great signal, this was a deal breaker for using the Exynos versions.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site

Stupid question maybe but for BT audio will it matter or is this solely for wired? Currently using a HTC 10 and tidal hifi

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Please link me to where I can buy an unlocked international note 7. According to this site and others, it doesn't exist...yet.
Obviously it's not released yet. It will be in September 1st week as mentioned by Samsung.

They will start popping up end of August in the usual sites where international unlocked will be available... Just search SM-N930F on eBay and there are sellers taking preorder for end of Aug shipping. They should pop up on B&H, Amazon third party sellers etc SVD various other sites end of August or early September.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site

These are available right now on eBay. For a stiff price and no extras. Says delivery next week? Weird

Edit. Never mind. Preorder. Begs the question why buy a carrier version?

Roman Akert

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
The snapdragon version uses the built in converter/amplifier. The Exynos uses a superior DAC co-developed with Wolfson.

Both are 24bit 192khz capable.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Confusing!

According to Qualcomm, the N7 is using it's Aqstic codec, same as the new HTC.
Reportedly, this is a change from the S7 and the N7 is supposed to sound great.

I'd be surprised if Sammy went backwards from the N5 regarding audio quality. The N5 is crazy good, IMO.

But, previous posters say they've heard the N7's audio sucks.

Wonder who's correct on this?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance