08-05-2016 01:43 PM
33 12
tools
    I went to my Tmobile store and ordered the Note 7. Anyways I don't have the Jump program and always pay outright, and apparently they have a $20 fee now when purchasing a new phone if you don't have the Jump program. I tried arguing about the fee but nothing they can do. I told them for now on I'll buy unlocked versions then to avoid the fee.

Just a heads up if you decide to buy a new device.

The order process was a pain too and took awhile to fill everything out. Probably would have been faster to just buy it in the actual store when it's released. They said the UPS driver is supposed to have someone sign it but that I should call them to make sure to leave a note so the driver doesn't leave it at the doorstep in case no one is home.

Overall it was more of a hassle than just buying the phone later once the store has them in stock but I wanted to make sure I'd get the Gear deal.

Btw has anyone ever had a phone broke during shipping? They said I'd have to deal with Tmobile customer service if it's damaged and the store can't do anything.
    skatergirl likes this.
    08-04-2016 12:43 PM
    The 20 dollar fee was waived for me, so I guess it depends on who you talked to and how willing they were to help Also, ever since I started getting phones from T-Mo, all my shipments require a signature. And actually I'm glad they do: Last thing I want is an $850 piece of hardware sitting outside waiting for me to come home (or someone else to take it). I've gotten three phones shipped so far and none have been damaged.

Also, as of today, JOD customers also have the option to spread out the down payment, so you get no 70-dollar upfront, but your monthly payment increases by 3 dollars.
    08-04-2016 12:51 PM
    Correct, tmobile has implemented a $20 fee for in store purchases full retail. You can buy online or choose to do a finance contract or lease plan in stores to avoid the fee.
    08-04-2016 12:52 PM
    Correct, tmobile has implemented a $20 fee for in store purchases full retail. You can buy online or choose to do a finance contract or lease plan in stores to avoid the fee.
    Fee also applies to phone orders, but like I said, in my case, the rep was able to just delete it off the order.
    audri5 likes this.
    08-04-2016 12:53 PM
    The 20 dollar fee was waived for me, so I guess it depends on who you talked to and how willing they were to help Also, ever since I started getting phones from T-Mo, all my shipments require a signature. And actually I'm glad they do: Last thing I want is an $850 piece of hardware sitting outside waiting for me to come home (or someone else to take it). I've gotten three phones shipped so far and none have been damaged.

Also, as of today, JOD customers also have the option to spread out the down payment, so you get no 70-dollar upfront, but your monthly payment increases by 3 dollars.
    Make sure to check the security tape for tampering too... I had an issue of the phone being stolen and the box re taped in the past.
    08-04-2016 12:54 PM
    I probably should have just ordered this over the phone and it would have been less of an issue. Usually they waive fees. When we moved in our new house last year our cell reception is poor and they sent us out one of those routers to increase cell signal for free.

If you read my previous post, we only have one Tmobile store in the area and they're always swamped. Usually it's always old people in there having simple issue with their cell phone but taking up everyone's time because they can't figure out how to operate them. No offense to the older folks on here, but I'm sure everyone knows what I mean when it comes to technology and some of them.

Very frustrating experience today.

I figured it would be sig required. When my dad ordered a $1000 laptop from Costco it required a sig.
    08-04-2016 01:00 PM
    I went to my Tmobile store and ordered the Note 7. Anyways I don't have the Jump program and always pay outright, and apparently they have a $20 fee now when purchasing a new phone if you don't have the Jump program. I tried arguing about the fee but nothing they can do. I told them for now on I'll buy unlocked versions then to avoid the fee.

Just a heads up if you decide to buy a new device.

The order process was a pain too and took awhile to fill everything out. Probably would have been faster to just buy it in the actual store when it's released. They said the UPS driver is supposed to have someone sign it but that I should call them to make sure to leave a note so the driver doesn't leave it at the doorstep in case no one is home.

Overall it was more of a hassle than just buying the phone later once the store has them in stock but I wanted to make sure I'd get the Gear deal.

Btw has anyone ever had a phone broke during shipping? They said I'd have to deal with Tmobile customer service if it's damaged and the store can't do anything.
    Verizon has a stupid $20 upgrade fee. Verizon should actually pay its customers $20 for continuing to use its service. That said, if a Verizon customer upgrades online the fee is waived ... at least for now. As for getting a phone by mail, all my phones come by mail and I have never received one that is damaged.
    08-04-2016 01:00 PM
    Verizon has a stupid $20 upgrade fee. Verizon should actually pay its customers $20 for continuing to use its service. That said, if a Verizon customer upgrades online the fee is waived ... at least for now. As for getting a phone by mail, all my phones come by mail and I have never received one that is damaged.
    I'm for sure going the unlocked route the next time and I told the rep that too and they understood. These companies are as bad as Comcast almost now. I'll just give my money to Best Buy or Amazon next time and get unlocked. It's insane how these companies bend consumers over with all these fees. Of course if we switched to ATT or Verizon it would cost us a lot more because I got grandfathered data and text messaging prices on my account we been with them for so long. It would cost a ton more each month if we switched.
    skatergirl likes this.
    08-04-2016 01:16 PM
    I ranted about it on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com...otal_assisted/

Tl;dr: I would've been fine about the fee if I was (1) actually told about it and (2) T-Mobile explained it properly when asked. It wasn't until I emailed JL and got a call from their executive team that they waived it. T-Mobile via Twitter DMs refused several times to remove it.

The fee only applies to those who purchase in a store or via phone. I ordered via phone because it was the only option available to me when I tried to upgrade online.
    08-04-2016 01:19 PM
    I ranted about it on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com...otal_assisted/

Tl;dr: I would've been fine about the fee if I was (1) actually told about it and (2) T-Mobile explained it properly when asked. It wasn't until I emailed JL and got a call from their executive team that they waived it. T-Mobile via Twitter DMs refused several times to remove it.

The fee only applies to those who purchase in a store or via phone. I ordered via phone because it was the only option available to me when I tried to upgrade online.
    Yea a lot of companies charge now for talking to a live person versus doing it self serve for most things in general. They're trying to cut down on labor cost by eventually trying to get everyone to do everything automated. Sounds like easy way to actually make money. 20 bucks a pop charging someone when they walk in the door to order something. As I stated I'll just buy unlocked from Best Buy for now on and no more BS. This phone will last me two years though so who knows what new fees they will have then. It would be nice if Amazon got into the cell business and sold cell plans and competed with the carriers.
    08-04-2016 01:40 PM
    This fee does not apply to JOD customers. Tmobile does not provide any type of self service for JOD customers and we must always order over the phone or in store. Since a lot of people don't live anywhere near a tmobile store, they can not charge JOD customers this service fee. I was told this when placing my JOD order this morning and was not charged anything.
    08-04-2016 01:55 PM
    As dpham said this was added for in store / on phone purchases. You don't get it if you do it online.

Read more here --- T-Mobile Assisted Service upgrade fee launching on July 31 for select customers - TmoNews
    08-04-2016 01:58 PM
    I upgraded online and the fee was waived. I didn't know it was because it was online... I thought it might have been because of forgoing the monthly payment.
    08-04-2016 02:00 PM
    No fee and no down payment for JoD.

Posted from my unlocked S7 Active on T-Mobile
    08-04-2016 02:33 PM
    Just do online, no fee and don't have to deal with clueless reps on phone or store.
    08-04-2016 03:01 PM
    I have phone service through tmobile . I just received a notice stating that there will be no upfront charges or taxes for the Note 7!....this depends on you credit!. Good luck!

Posted via the Android Central App
    SpookDroid likes this.
    08-04-2016 03:18 PM
    I have phone service through tmobile . I just received a notice stating that there will be no upfront charges or taxes for the Note 7!....this depends on you credit!. Good luck!

This is separate from the fee we're talking about.
    08-04-2016 03:23 PM

Yes and I'm paying in full. They charge my card when it ships. I don't do the monthly payment BS. I hate bills. I so wish Amazon offered cell service I'd be all over it. I hate dealing with in store reps. usually over the phone they're better.

Btw I need a receipt for the watch rebate from Samsung, and we have never logged onto the Tmobile online account before. Never made one. How do I get a receipt for it to send to samsung? I got the email version but it just gives the ordering info, not the price or purchase location or anything.

It would have been much easier if I would have sat at home and ordered on the phone or online.
    08-04-2016 03:54 PM
    Yes and I'm paying in full. They charge my card when it ships. I don't do the monthly payment BS. I hate bills. I so wish Amazon offered cell service I'd be all over it. I hate dealing with in store reps. usually over the phone they're better.

Btw I need a receipt for the watch rebate from Samsung, and we have never logged onto the Tmobile online account before. Never made one. How do I get a receipt for it to send to samsung? I got the email version but it just gives the ordering info, not the price or purchase location or anything.

It would have been much easier if I would have sat at home and ordered on the phone or online.
    You'll get the full receipt (it needs to be the one showing the IMEI) once the device ships in your e-mail. No need to log into the T-Mobile site.

Once that's done, you can submit the claim to Samsung for the freebie.
    08-04-2016 03:58 PM
    You'll get the full receipt (it needs to be the one showing the IMEI) once the device ships in your e-mail. No need to log into the T-Mobile site.

Once that's done, you can submit the claim to Samsung for the freebie.
    Good to know. My dad ordered a Gear watch back in 2014 from Tmobile store and the process wasn't this much of a pain. Why do these companies have all these fees now? I mean 20 bucks just to have a sales associate place an order when you're giving them hundreds of bucks. When Best buy orders something they don't charge you a fee.
    08-04-2016 05:08 PM
    Good to know. My dad ordered a Gear watch back in 2014 from Tmobile store and the process wasn't this much of a pain. Why do these companies have all these fees now? I mean 20 bucks just to have a sales associate place an order when you're giving them hundreds of bucks. When Best buy orders something they don't charge you a fee.
    Yep it sucks. Just trying to get more out of us.
    08-04-2016 05:13 PM
    You think that's bad? TicketMaster and most theaters, including Fandango, charge you for making a purchase online! Not even when talking to a human. Nope. You're doing it, and you get charged for it. Great!
    08-04-2016 05:19 PM
    You think that's bad? TicketMaster and most theaters, including Fandango, charge you for making a purchase online! Not even when talking to a human. Nope. You're doing it, and you get charged for it. Great!
    "Convenience fee" they call it. Pfft .
    08-04-2016 05:51 PM
    Yea a lot of companies charge now for talking to a live person versus doing it self serve for most things in general. They're trying to cut down on labor cost by eventually trying to get everyone to do everything automated. Sounds like easy way to actually make money. 20 bucks a pop charging someone when they walk in the door to order something. As I stated I'll just buy unlocked from Best Buy for now on and no more BS. This phone will last me two years though so who knows what new fees they will have then. It would be nice if Amazon got into the cell business and sold cell plans and competed with the carriers.
    If you use vzw unlocked phones often lack important functions.
    08-04-2016 05:59 PM
    Yea, I know about those fees! When I lived in St. Louis and was a St. Louis Blues season ticket holder, the team would charge a "handling fee" when mailing your season tickets! Was $15 bucks I think.

I thought there was some settlement over fees or some other BS ticketbastard was charging.
    08-04-2016 06:15 PM
33 12