Note 4 vs Note 7 features

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely right. I was referring to VZW. That's why I mentioned 3G. You don't have 3G.

I don't even know of an area that is not LTE with Verizon anymore. Are you in VZW 3G areas a lot somehow? Edit: Drats, you already replied to a similar question, sorry.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't even know of an area that is not LTE with Verizon anymore. Are you in VZW 3G areas a lot somehow?
See post 12. All I did was answer op question. Don't kill the messenger. BTW. If you turn on advanced calling on the Note 4 you lose this ability so to keep it keep advanced calling off.

Most importantly on an LTE call if you even briefly drive into a 3G or 1G zone the call is dropped. This doesn't happen with 2 radios unless you have no signal at all.

I suspect you are in or at least drive through 3G zones far more often than you notice. I often notice 3G inside a building and LTE outside for example.

This is true even in downtown Boston but even more common in burbs.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
See post 12. All I did was answer op question. Don't kill the messenger. BTW. If you turn on advanced calling on the Note 4 you lose this ability so to keep it keep advanced calling off.

Most importantly on an LTE call if you even briefly drive into a 3G or 1G zone the call is dropped. This doesn't happen with 2 radios unless you have no signal at all.

I suspect you are in or at least drive through 3G zones far more often than you notice. I often notice 3G inside a building and LTE outside for example.

This is true even in downtown Boston but even more common in burbs.

Yup, sorry. I saw it just after I posted, then edited my post, I guess you replied quick before I edited. Thanks.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
No longer have simultaneous voice and data in 3G only in LTE (note 4 has 2 radios note 7 has 1). No longer has ir blaster. Battery cannot be removed.
That's odd. The fcc filing says that the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 only has simultaneous voice and data over 4glte (svlte). It doesn't require volte like newer phones though for simultaneous voice and data over 4glte

uploadfromtaptalk1470368393249.jpg

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
No. It was the last Note with 2 radios. Definitely supports simultaneous voice and data over 3G
The Verizon Note 4 had 2 cellular paths (I think that's what you meant when you said radio). One for lte, one for cdma.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It's been called 2 radios in countless posts for years. I'm not an engineer so I don't know what they call it.

Now do you also deny calls over lte are dropped in 3G zones?

I do have to apologize about the way old EVDO works. To have simultaneous voice and data you must have LTE and 3G signals simultaneously. Voice over LTE and data over 3G. When you drive into 3G zone you keep call but lose data. With Advanced calling on LTE call the call is dropped when you drive into 3G zone.

When it works on my Note 3 I see 3G in the bar at the top but in order to keep data I must have some access to LTE that isn't showing up in the status bar. Since I do not have advanced calling when I start a call on lte then drive into 3g the call switches seamlessly and I never drop call.

Last edited:

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I honestly am never in a 3G zone, so it isn't an issue for me.

The OP stated he is specifically asking about software changes anyway...

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I honestly am never in a 3G zone, so it isn't an issue for me.

The OP stated he is specifically asking about software changes anyway...
Maybe my Note 3 is more likely to connect to 3G? I'm often in 3G according to icon at top. I get 1G sometimes too.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Maybe my Note 3 is more likely to connect to 3G? I'm often in 3G according to icon at top. I get 1G sometimes too.

Wow, that blows. Are there other carriers with better coverage near you? Boy I would hate that if it were me ..

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Wow, that blows. Are there other carriers with better coverage near you? Boy I would hate that if it were me ..
It's only at a few spots and indoors. I guarantee there are deadspots in every state. Perhaps in a spot you have no data at all I have 3G or 1G. Perhaps Note 3 needs a stronger LTE signal than your phone to connect to it. Who knows.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It's been called 2 radios in countless posts for years. I'm not an engineer so I don't know what they call it.

Now do you also deny calls over lte are dropped in 3G zones?

I do have to apologize about the way old EVDO works. To have simultaneous voice and data you must have LTE and 3G signals simultaneously. Voice over LTE and data over 3G. When you drive into 3G zone you keep call but lose data. With Advanced calling on LTE call the call is dropped when you drive into 3G zone.

When it works on my Note 3 I see 3G in the bar at the top but in order to keep data I must have some access to LTE that isn't showing up in the status bar. Since I do not have advanced calling when I start a call on lte then drive into 3g the call switches seamlessly and I never drop call.

I am almost always in a 4glte area so can't really say I have experienced it either way.

VoLTE means voice over lte. Data and voice both go over lte.

However Verizon's advanced calling (volte) as I understand it has no handoff to cdma voice, so the call will drop. You can disable volte and it should automatically drop to 1x cdma for calls... Though you can't do simultaneous voice and data on any newer Verizon phone without volte .

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
That was the point I was trying to make. I will have to be careful not to make or answer LTE calls if I am driving in route 38 in Wilmington! I intend to use Advanced calling since I will want simultaneous voice and data. If it is easy to turn on and off I can always turn it off in the burbs when driving if I expect a call or make a call....unless somehow Note 7 pulls in the LTE signal in places I do not get it now.

d-signer

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
From the spec, it seems like they cut features and some hardware to keep the price down?
e.g. Using a 12MP rear camera on the Note 7, instead of the 16MP used on the Note 4.

The Note 7 seems like it is upgraded in a few areas, but the Note 4 is still the better all rounder.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
From the spec, it seems like they cut features and some hardware to keep the price down?
e.g. Using a 12MP rear camera on the Note 7, instead of the 16MP used on the Note 4.

The Note 7 seems like it is upgraded in a few areas, but the Note 4 is still the better all rounder.

This is not the case. I would read up a bit more, and keep in mind that less MP doesn't mean a worse camera. The Note 7 camera will be far superior to the Note 4 one. The N7 has the same camera as the S7, which is widely considered the best camera on any mobile phone...

d-signer

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
OK thanks.
I still think the Note 4 is more flexible - e.g. swap out the battery, rooting etc.

The bar was set so high with the Note 4, it will take a lot to beat it! :)

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
OK thanks.
I still think the Note 4 is more flexible - e.g. swap out the battery, rooting etc.

The bar was set so high with the Note 4, it will take a lot to beat it! :)

I can see that. I have the N4 (and the N5). It is a gerat phone. But my N5 is better for me, and the N7 looks to be even a greater improvement..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463