08-16-2016 08:56 AM
59 123
tools
    I agree to that that's my biggest gripe with this whole situation is why would they go with the Snapdragon 820 and said of the exynos chip

Posted via the Android Central App
    I think the Chinese S7 got an 820 too, so the Note7 in China might have one too?

It's to do with CDMA.

08-07-2016 07:57 PM
    China has CDMA?
    08-08-2016 11:21 AM
    China has CDMA?
    Yes
    08-08-2016 11:25 AM
    Wow. I thought the entire world was GSM except VZW and Sprint
    08-08-2016 11:27 AM
    Wow. I thought the entire world was GSM except VZW and Sprint
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...A2000_networks
    recDNA likes this.
    08-08-2016 11:41 AM
    Bad news. I had hoped all networks would switch to GSM
    08-08-2016 11:42 AM
    No harm no foul for me, since the device would be $1,000 here. Pass!
    08-09-2016 10:32 AM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 7 with 6 GB of RAM and 128 GB of storage space confirmed

I know I'm going to get hammered for this but this almost makes me want to cancel my order.

I don't care about the 128gb storage. SD card is fine. I do care that that extra 2gb of RAM probably costs Samsung $10-20, yet they took the Apple approach and tried to squeeze as much profit as possible from the rest of the world.

They could have done it for the rest of the world but chose not to for the simple fact of wanting more profit.

Honestly, they are absolutely wasting their time in China. Domestic manufacturers will always lead, and even grow, there. Samsung is fighting a losing battle while sorta shafting those of us that actually want to support them.

Yeah, yeah, let me have it. It's not spec whoredom, it's just better for being productive. More RAM is better. Those of you that rail me won't be saying 6gb is too much next year, so stop defending Samsung and validating your purchase with 4gb of RAM.

$900 for this phone and they give the most impossible market on the planet "more" just because they want to compete. Absolutely insane.

Let the hate flow.
    08-11-2016 03:04 AM
    Might want to read this thread and links attached, before canceling anything.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...d.php?t=710047
    08-11-2016 03:08 AM
    No, you misunderstand. I want to cancel on principle, not import a Chinese version.

IHS bill of materials shows the S7's 4gb of RAM coats $25. I know RAM doesn't scale properly, so let's assume it costs $50 for the 6gb module. Hey Samsung, I'd respect you more and upgrade more often if you would just give us the amazing hardware we desire. You're giving it to China. Pleasue explain why we aren't good enough for it...

I have just over $900 in my pre-order (full retail). I've been screwed by Apple for years, which is part of the reason I'm going back to Android. Then I see this. Pisses me off. We all know they could have shipped this thing with 6gb. Now it's confirmed, yet we will not get an explanation. You'd think they would have learnt not to **** their customers off, like they did with last year's devices.

If the Chinese would make a water resistant phone with stylus support, I'd buy it. Probably just a matter of time. The days of 1k phones are coming to an end. If the Xiaomi Mi5 was water resistant, I'd be on that. Samsung, are you reading this?

http://press.ihs.com/press-release/technology/samsung-galaxy-s7-teardown-reveals-ho-hum-refresh-0
    08-11-2016 03:22 AM
    No, you misunderstand. I want to cancel on principle, not import a Chinese version.

IHS bill of materials shows the S7's 4gb of RAM coats $25. I know RAM doesn't scale properly, so let's assume it costs $50 for the 6gb module. Hey Samsung, I'd respect you more and upgrade more often if you would just give us the amazing hardware we desire. You're giving it to China. Pleasue explain why we aren't good enough for it...

I have just over $900 in my pre-order (full retail). I've been screwed by Apple for years, which is part of the reason I'm going back to Android. Then I see this. Pisses me off. We all know they could have shipped this thing with 6gb. Now it's confirmed, yet we will not get an explanation. You'd think they would have learnt not to **** their customers off, like they did with last year's devices.

If the Chinese would make a water resistant phone with stylus support, I'd buy it. Probably just a matter of time. The days of 1k phones are coming to an end. If the Xiaomi Mi5 was water resistant, I'd be on that. Samsung, are you reading this?

http://press.ihs.com/press-release/t...-hum-refresh-0
    **** off their customers? Except 99.9 percent of their customers are fine with 4gb of RAM.

08-11-2016 03:35 AM
    The only phone I remember with 6GB of ram is the one plus 3 and it originally didn't use all 6 due to "saving on battery life" so it was limited to like, 3 gb or something. Then an update raised it to 5 or so. Still not the full 6. What's the point then? If it uses more battery to where it's limited on a one plus 3, I'm sure it would be limited on the note 7 as well. Samsung probably realized that the VERY small amount of people that even know the benefits of 6gb of ram over 4gb aren't going to be their main sale. Samsung is going the apple route in terms of trying to make profit since (from what I remember) 2 years ago, they lost a bit of money. Honestly, I wouldn't mind 6gb of ram but I'm not going out of my way to demand it either. My s7 has 4gb and I don't have any problems.

08-11-2016 03:40 AM

Samsung Galaxy S7 Teardown Reveals Ho-Hum Refresh | IHS Online Newsroom
    Yeah, i understand where you are coming from. But if you think about it, (hopefully this makes you feel better) when ever you purchase a product, after a year or less, there is something better out there. Instead of looking at whats better, just enjoy the beautiful device you have purchased now and in 1 - 5 years time, when you purchase another device, it will have the 6GB of RAM you wanted originally or more! ^_^
    08-11-2016 03:42 AM
    The average person could care less. And the op3 ran like crappie on 6 gigs and sucks battery like nobodies business so they can have that phone. My n5 and gs7edge run like crazy and the n7 will be just fine with 4 gigs. But if you most have the 6 gigs n7 it'll be available on amazon for $1100 I'm sure no thanks

Posted via my note 5 are gs7 edge
    08-11-2016 05:52 AM
    Usually China gets the scaled down version. They had a Note 5 or Note 4 like with 16 gb memory.

Sometimes we are the bug and sometimes we are the windshield.

If 4 gb of RAM works for you, then not a problem.
    08-11-2016 07:07 AM
    Well, I'd be annoyed....

But I'm actually not.

Don't get me wrong. I would like to have 6GB of memory. But as of this time, it's really not needed, even for productivity, since a lot of people don't have an issue with 4GB of memory. My mom's Zenfone 2 has 4GB of memory and memory usage hardly creeps above 85+%, even with a whole heap of apps in the recent apps screen, despite that phone's notorious amount of bloatware.

Yeah, it's a different phone, but that's where my point is. 6GB of memory is one of things where it's very nice to have, especially if you want to keep your device for a very long time. But I really don't see how 4GB of memory has become "tiny" in the span of a few months.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if the Nexus Sailfish/Marlin and the upcoming LG V20 have 4GB of memory as well.
    08-11-2016 07:19 AM
    I have yet to see one legit benchmark that suggests any significant bennie from 6GB. Even going from 3GB to 4GB the diminished return curve is pronounced. The biggest marginal bennie is going from 1GB to 2GB and then still significant from 2GB to 3GB.

Until the series approach to managing apps and ram address recalls to the controller and cpu changes from a clock juggling series process in Android framework- and collaborative changes to hardware (need more parallel design for memory management), 4GB to 6GB is mainly a marketing action.

I would like the 128GB internal storage though Those specs here though would mean $1,000 device. Nope on that.
    D13H4RD2L1V3 likes this.
    08-11-2016 08:22 AM
    I have yet to see one legit benchmark that suggests any significant bennie from 6GB. Even going from 3GB to 4GB the diminished return curve is pronounced. The biggest marginal bennie is going from 1GB to 2GB and then still significant from 2GB to 3GB.
    Most benchmarks don't report a significant increase in scores due to the extra RAM. Extra RAM only benefits when actively multitasking, and in the case of 6GB, it benefits in a hugely extreme multitasking scenario, something which I still struggle to find in real-world use.

Faster memory like LPDDR4, however, do report a score increase in benchmarks.

Not disagreeing with you. Just adding to your point.
    rushmore and Kelly Kearns like this.
    08-11-2016 08:31 AM
    Most benchmarks don't report a significant increase in scores due to the extra RAM. Extra RAM only benefits when actively multitasking, and in the case of 6GB, it benefits in a hugely extreme multitasking scenario, something which I still struggle to find in real-world use.

Faster memory like LPDDR4, however, do report a score increase in benchmarks.

Not disagreeing with you. Just adding to your point.
    Right, at this point.. Are 99% of the people going to see a difference in 4 and 6 of RAM?

Android does very well at managing RAM now, much better than early days.
    08-11-2016 11:51 AM
    08-11-2016 02:57 PM
    Windows 10 PCs run well with 4 GB ram although 8 gb ram is the sweet spot..no one currently needs more than 4GB ram on a mobile android device. ..my tab s2 works well with 3 gb ram
    08-12-2016 10:10 PM
    This is quite depressing considering there is no "Samsung" or a free Korea without U.S involvement in the Korean War and the fact that Samsung treat U.S customers with it most inferior products (snapdragon) is shameful.
    08-13-2016 11:58 PM
    This is quite depressing considering there is no "Samsung" or a free Korea without U.S involvement in the Korean War and the fact that Samsung treat U.S customers with it most inferior products (snapdragon) is shameful.
    Korean War has nothing to do with smartphone processors. Try again.

MRS DIVA likes this.
    08-14-2016 12:00 AM
    Korean War has nothing to do with smartphone processors. Try again.

How so? Samsung doesn't exist without U.S involvement and that is a fact. I can understand Japanese people not giving U.S their best product because of Nagasaki and Hiroshima (both sound tasty) but it should be the complete opposite with Koreans. I have Japanese and Korean blood in me so I'm not biases.
    08-14-2016 12:15 AM
    Actually, it's much more to do with CDMA, carrier aggregation and other stuff, since that's where Snapdragon chips tend to excel. The US still uses CDMA on certain carriers (especially Sprint and "Big Red" Verizon) and carrier aggregation is becoming a big part of smartphones sold in the States.

The Exynos chip may be superior in terms of efficiency and performance, but the reason Samsung chose to use a Snapdragon chipset in the US, Canada and China looks to be more of a support kind of thing with carrier aggregation and CDMA (the latter for the US and China).

If you're asking why they didn't do so last year, it's because they had no choice. Qualcomm's Snapdragon 810 wasn't exactly a hit, especially with Samsung, who were unimpressed with its thermal performance. They had to go with their Exynos 7420 as the only chip option on their flagship phones worldwide.
    dpham00 likes this.
    08-14-2016 12:17 AM
59 123