08-16-2016 08:56 AM
59 123
tools
    This is quite depressing considering there is no "Samsung" or a free Korea without U.S involvement in the Korean War and the fact that Samsung treat U.S customers with it most inferior products (snapdragon) is shameful.
    Actually it is an American company's fault (qualcomm) since they won't let Samsung use cdma technology for free. And since 3 of 5 the major USA carriers are cdma, then they need to use a qualcomm cdma baseband processor. The s820 has the qualcomm cdma baseband processor on the soc.

On the note 5,the s810 didn't have the qualcomm cdma baseband processor integrated on the soc so regardless of processor, Samsung still would have to use a qualcomm cdma baseband processor.

And while the s810 and s820 wasn't the best, qualcomm s800/801/805 were best in class.
    D13H4RD2L1V3 likes this.
    08-14-2016 12:21 AM
    Actually, it's much more to do with CDMA, carrier aggregation and other stuff, since that's where Snapdragon chips tend to excel. The US still uses CDMA on certain carriers (especially Sprint and "Big Red" Verizon) and carrier aggregation is becoming a big part of smartphones sold in the States.

The Exynos chip may be superior in terms of efficiency and performance, but the reason Samsung chose to use a Snapdragon chipset in the US, Canada and China looks to be more of a support kind of thing with carrier aggregation and CDMA (the latter for the US and China).

If you're asking why they didn't do so last year, it's because they had no choice. Qualcomm's Snapdragon 810 wasn't exactly a hit, especially with Samsung, who were unimpressed with its thermal performance. They had to go with their Exynos 7420 as the only chip option on their flagship phones worldwide.
    Cdma is proprietary qualcomm technology so I hope they excel at it.

The s810 didn't have an integrated baseband processor, so regardless if Samsung used the Exynos or s810, they would still need the qualcomm cdma baseband processor for 3 of the 5 usa variants of the s6/note 5.
    D13H4RD2L1V3 likes this.
    08-14-2016 12:29 AM
    The s810 didn't have an integrated baseband processor, so regardless if Samsung used the Exynos or s810, they would still need the qualcomm cdma baseband processor for 3 of the 5 usa variants of the s6/note 5.
    Great point.

That alongside the issue with the 810 meant that Samsung had to use their Exynos 7420 processor for the S6 and Note5.
    08-14-2016 12:39 AM
    Actually, it's much more to do with CDMA, carrier aggregation and other stuff, since that's where Snapdragon chips tend to excel. The US still uses CDMA on certain carriers (especially Sprint and "Big Red" Verizon) and carrier aggregation is becoming a big part of smartphones sold in the States.

The Exynos chip may be superior in terms of efficiency and performance, but the reason Samsung chose to use a Snapdragon chipset in the US, Canada and China looks to be more of a support kind of thing with carrier aggregation and CDMA (the latter for the US and China).

If you're asking why they didn't do so last year, it's because they had no choice. Qualcomm's Snapdragon 810 wasn't exactly a hit, especially with Samsung, who were unimpressed with its thermal performance. They had to go with their Exynos 7420 as the only chip option on their flagship phones worldwide.
    I understand that but why don't AT&T And T-Mobile user get the Exynos 8890 instead of the SD? It either Samsung too cheap to do that (inferior product for U.S GSM customers) or it would take away sales from Verizon and Sprint as my only two conclusion. So which is it? No excuse not to give GSM customers the better chip-set.
    08-14-2016 01:39 AM
    I understand that but why don't AT&T And T-Mobile user get the Exynos 8890 instead of the SD? It either Samsung too cheap to do that (inferior product for U.S GSM customers) or it would take away sales from Verizon and Sprint as my only two conclusion. So which is it? No excuse not to give GSM customers the better chip-set.
    It is to consolidate their offerings. They only offer one chip per region. Easier for customer service, warranty, and give everyone in the region the same product... They don't want a Verizon and tmobile comparing and seeing differences.

For att and tmobile customers, they do offer international unlocked variants with att and tmobile lte, for those who must have the Exynos chip.
    08-14-2016 10:38 AM
    Well, this is a "Thanks!" instead.

Any idea of the actual specs of that model? I am not in the US (nor in china either, btw), so I might get lucky and it might be fine here...
    08-14-2016 10:47 AM
    Well, this is a "Thanks!" instead.

Any idea of the actual specs of that model? I am not in the US (nor in china either, btw), so I might get lucky and it might be fine here...
    Likely similar to the US model but with 6GB of memory and 128GB of storage.

Since it's for the Chinese market, I don't think Google services are pre-loaded.
    PRGDR likes this.
    08-14-2016 09:56 PM

Since it's for the Chinese market, I don't think Google services are pre-loaded.
    Which might be good for some people who want to use an android phone without google play services (I am not one of these)
    08-14-2016 10:44 PM

Thanks for the info. Those are quite impressive specs. And I imagine it would not be that hard to ad google services and apps, after rooting it maybe...
    08-16-2016 08:56 AM
59 123