08-07-2016 02:20 PM
55 123
tools
    Is that through Asurion?
    Yes.
    08-05-2016 09:59 PM
    I was planning on insuring mine through Samsung's own Protection Plus insurance.
    Samsung Protection Plus
    Looks like Note 7 isnt an option yet
    08-05-2016 10:34 PM
    Looks like Note 7 isnt an option yet
    Noticed the same thing. Just assumed it's not updated yet to include Note 7. I'm wondering if a phone call would clear that up.
    08-06-2016 03:47 AM
    I NEVER do insurance. The only time its worth it is if your phone gets stolen. Biggest ripoff. Cheaper to pay a third party to fix a screen for 150 and keep your same phone.
    jlczl likes this.
    08-06-2016 08:00 AM
    I dropped my Note 5 just a couple of weeks after purchasing it. The screed cracked and it wouldn't turn on. No insurance since I'd had my S4 for a couple of years and dropped it many times from far greater heights with no damage whatsoever. I took it to a repair shop where they wouldn't be able to tell me how much my repair would cost until they opened it up. There was a fee just to diagnose the phone, and since the phone wouldn't turn on AND the crack appeared to go through both layers, it was likely that the repair would cost upwards of $350 plus the diagnostic fee. This was a seemingly minor fall. I will ALWAYS insure my phones moving forward, especially now that I'm paying for my phones outright.
    08-06-2016 03:30 PM
    Insurance on an item that's less than $1,000 is a rip-off in my opinion. I used to carry it some time back but after I had to pay a large deductible to get my phone repaired I realized it was actually much cheaper to just repair the phone whenever it gets damaged than to pay a monthly premium plus a deductible whenever you actually have to use it. Over the long-haul insurance is a rip-off on item this small.
    08-06-2016 03:55 PM
    I NEVER do insurance. The only time its worth it is if your phone gets stolen. Biggest ripoff. Cheaper to pay a third party to fix a screen for 150 and keep your same phone.
    It can also get water damaged which could cost a lot to fix.

Also replacing the screen on the note 7 could cause issues as it is curved and it has a touch screen layer and a s pen layer. Aside from that, it could impact ip68 water resistance and other components, if they didn't do a good job. Keep in mind that it could impact warranty doing a screen replacement from a third party.

Having seen poor screen replacements before... I would only do third party if you are sure that they stand behind their work and don't care about warranty.
    08-06-2016 08:49 PM
    It'll be more like $300 for the curved screen, and don't trust a 3rd party repair to make it water resistant again.
    08-06-2016 09:10 PM
    Insurance on an item that's less than $1,000 is a rip-off in my opinion. I used to carry it some time back but after I had to pay a large deductible to get my phone repaired I realized it was actually much cheaper to just repair the phone whenever it gets damaged than to pay a monthly premium plus a deductible whenever you actually have to use it. Over the long-haul insurance is a rip-off on item this small.
    I think you have to pick and choose under $1,000 on what to cover.

My GF started using a fitness band about 3 years ago. She's now on her 4th band and the only money she has paid out of pocket was for the first one. The warranty from Best Buy has replaced the others for no cost. I'd say that warranty has been more than worth it.

As for me, I've gone thru 2 original MS bands and I'm now using the MS Band 2. Same situation. Had warranty from Best Buy and they have replaced each one. Only out of pocket cost was for the first band.

$8 a month with $50 deductible is more than worth it for me just in case something happens to my Note 7.
    08-06-2016 09:59 PM

My GF started using a fitness band about 3 years ago. She's now on her 4th band and the only money she has paid out of pocket was for the first one. The warranty from Best Buy has replaced the others for no cost. I'd say that warranty has been more than worth it.

As for me, I've gone thru 2 original MS bands and I'm now using the MS Band 2. Same situation. Had warranty from Best Buy and they have replaced each one. Only out of pocket cost was for the first band.

$8 a month with $50 deductible is more than worth it for me just in case something happens to my Note 7.
    This proves it just depends from person to person. I haven't run into a situation where I would have ever needed it so I would have lost out on the monthly cost this whole time. My gf though? Glad she has it. She is no where near as careful.

And yes.. I get I am human and anything can happen to me but I am taking that gamble and so far it is winning in my favor.
    08-06-2016 10:28 PM
    I think it costs considerably more than that for these curved screens. Could have sworn I saw a thread about it in that S7e section.
    08-07-2016 08:16 AM
    It can also get water damaged which could cost a lot to fix.

Also replacing the screen on the note 7 could cause issues as it is curved and it has a touch screen layer and a s pen layer. Aside from that, it could impact ip68 water resistance and other components, if they didn't do a good job. Keep in mind that it could impact warranty doing a screen replacement from a third party.

Having seen poor screen replacements before... I would only do third party if you are sure that they stand behind their work and don't care about warranty.
    $279 screen replacement fee direct from Samsung so device is brought back to like new.

$175 deductible for Assurion replacement plus however much your monthly premium is multiplied by the number of months you had to pay it before you used it.

Cell phone insurance from the carriers with these high deductibles are worthless.
    QWIKSTRIKE likes this.
    08-07-2016 08:28 AM

True. There are some items that are just more prone to failure. My Bluetooth headphones are a good example. I also got about 3-4 replacements over a few years from BB with the extended warranty.

Where are you insuring your Note 7 that only has a $50 deductible?
    08-07-2016 08:31 AM
    If by some chance you have a Wells Fargo credit card, if you pay your cell phone bill through it for 3+ months they give you full insurance coverage (with a $25 deductible) for free which includes up to 4cell phones with a $600 limit PER CLAIM. I believe there is a limit of 2 claims per year.

https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-ca...ne-protection/
    08-07-2016 08:37 AM
    $279 screen replacement fee direct from Samsung so device is brought back to like new.

$175 deductible for Assurion replacement plus however much your monthly premium is multiplied by the number of months you had to pay it before you used it.

Cell phone insurance from the carriers with these high deductibles are worthless.
    Everyone who isn't clueless knows how big a ripoff the carrier insurance is. But buying insurance through Samsung is a pretty good deal. $99 for 2 years, with a $99 deductible. You're not getting ANYTHING repaired on a note 7 for less than that a single time through any repair facility.
    ctown81 likes this.
    08-07-2016 08:39 AM
    Everyone who isn't clueless knows how big a ripoff the carrier insurance is. But buying insurance through Samsung is a pretty good deal. $99 for 2 years, with a $99 deductible. You're not getting ANYTHING repaired on a note 7 for less than that a single time through any repair facility.
    So true .. but "FREE" is good.
    08-07-2016 08:46 AM
    True. There are some items that are just more prone to failure. My Bluetooth headphones are a good example. I also got about 3-4 replacements over a few years from BB with the extended warranty.

Where are you insuring your Note 7 that only has a $50 deductible?
    I posted this earlier in the thread...

I've been using Protect Your Bubble for the past couple years but they recently stopped covering new policies in the US. Kinda disappointing because it was only $5/month with a $50 deductible, didn't cover loss or theft.

Since that's out this time around, I might give Worth Avenue Group a try. www.worthavegroup.com

$899 of coverage, with $50 deductible that covers everything including loss and theft for $8/month. It's a little cheaper if you pay full year up front but since I'm on JoD its highly unlikely I'll have the phone a full year. I haven't looked into it enough to see if they prorate back unused months like squaretrade does.
    08-07-2016 08:56 AM
    I posted this earlier in the thread...

I've been using Protect Your Bubble for the past couple years but they recently stopped covering new policies in the US. Kinda disappointing because it was only $5/month with a $50 deductible, didn't cover loss or theft.

Since that's out this time around, I might give Worth Avenue Group a try. www.worthavegroup.com

$899 of coverage, with $50 deductible that covers everything including loss and theft for $8/month. It's a little cheaper if you pay full year up front but since I'm on JoD its highly unlikely I'll have the phone a full year. I haven't looked into it enough to see if they prorate back unused months like squaretrade does.
    I just checked them out as well (WAG). Looks good. Anyone have/use them?
    08-07-2016 08:59 AM
    Luckily my city has a cell phone repair center for Samsung. Never had to pay for a broke screen. Sometimes they charge for parts but that's about it.
    08-07-2016 09:17 AM

For screen damage, it might not be worth it but if it is lost or has water damage then insurance would be worth it.
    08-07-2016 10:08 AM
    The Samsung insurance in Canada only covers manufacturer's defects for a second year. It does not cover accidents or theft which the carrier insurance does.
    08-07-2016 10:15 AM
    I have had 7 high end devices since 2015, and no insurance claims on any devices....for me I would prefer the Carrier as I switch phones frequently. Buying something that requires a down-payment is going to cost me a lot if you add all the down payments up. And the Carrier insurance will cover the active device on the line. In addition, for extended warranty issues, it will also cover pre existing conditions for my state...which I have used a few times for older devices around the house. Of course my situation is not typical by any means... But just speaking personally... I prefer Carrier insurance.

Plus keep in mind Samsung doesn't cover loss or theft
    08-07-2016 10:24 AM
    The Samsung insurance in Canada only covers manufacturer's defects for a second year. It does not cover accidents or theft which the carrier insurance does.
    That doesn't make sense, are you sure? Don't see why they would cover accidental damage for the second year for other places, but not Canada.
    08-07-2016 10:26 AM
    I have had 7 high end devices since 2015, and no insurance claims on any devices....for me I would prefer the Carrier as I switch phones frequently. Buying something that requires a down-payment is going to cost me a lot if you add all the down payments up. And the Carrier insurance will cover the active device on the line. In addition, for extended warranty issues, it will also cover pre existing conditions for my state...which I have used a few times for older devices around the house. Of course my situation is not typical by any means... But just speaking personally... I prefer Carrier insurance.

Plus keep in mind Samsung doesn't cover loss or theft
    7 new devices since 2015? You know, there's probably a support group that can help you
    calicocat2010 likes this.
    08-07-2016 10:28 AM
    At 850 a pop for the Note 7, what insurance, if any will you use? I have been using the insurance from verizon, but think it is kind of expensive. I pay about 9.00 a month for it, and when I needed it I still had to pay 150 to get the replacement Note 3 that was damaged. Are there any better deals?
    I never use insurance but Square Trade is good and inexpensive, BUT it won't cover theft, only damage. It is something like $99 for two years.
    08-07-2016 11:12 AM
55 123