Note 7 Insurance?

JPD

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
The Samsung Protection Plus is through Asurion. I have it on my wife's S7 edge. I thought the price was worth it...

Posted via the Android Central App

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Protect Your Bubble for the past couple years but they recently stopped covering new policies in the US. Kinda disappointing because it was only $5/month with a $50 deductible, didn't cover loss or theft.

Since that's out this time around, I might give Worth Avenue Group a try. www.worthavegroup.com

$899 of coverage, with $50 deductible that covers everything including loss and theft for $8/month. It's a little cheaper if you pay full year up front but since I'm on JoD its highly unlikely I'll have the phone a full year. I haven't looked into it enough to see if they prorate back unused months like squaretrade does.

I might have to look into this. That sounds like a good deal. Nothing else seems to cover lost or stolen phones.

ctown81

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
I NEVER do insurance. The only time its worth it is if your phone gets stolen. Biggest ripoff. Cheaper to pay a third party to fix a screen for 150 and keep your same phone.

ctychick

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I dropped my Note 5 just a couple of weeks after purchasing it. The screed cracked and it wouldn't turn on. No insurance since I'd had my S4 for a couple of years and dropped it many times from far greater heights with no damage whatsoever. I took it to a repair shop where they wouldn't be able to tell me how much my repair would cost until they opened it up. There was a fee just to diagnose the phone, and since the phone wouldn't turn on AND the crack appeared to go through both layers, it was likely that the repair would cost upwards of $350 plus the diagnostic fee. This was a seemingly minor fall. I will ALWAYS insure my phones moving forward, especially now that I'm paying for my phones outright.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Insurance on an item that's less than $1,000 is a rip-off in my opinion. I used to carry it some time back but after I had to pay a large deductible to get my phone repaired I realized it was actually much cheaper to just repair the phone whenever it gets damaged than to pay a monthly premium plus a deductible whenever you actually have to use it. Over the long-haul insurance is a rip-off on item this small.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I NEVER do insurance. The only time its worth it is if your phone gets stolen. Biggest ripoff. Cheaper to pay a third party to fix a screen for 150 and keep your same phone.
It can also get water damaged which could cost a lot to fix.

Also replacing the screen on the note 7 could cause issues as it is curved and it has a touch screen layer and a s pen layer. Aside from that, it could impact ip68 water resistance and other components, if they didn't do a good job. Keep in mind that it could impact warranty doing a screen replacement from a third party.

Having seen poor screen replacements before... I would only do third party if you are sure that they stand behind their work and don't care about warranty.

Kirk Maluo

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
It'll be more like $300 for the curved screen, and don't trust a 3rd party repair to make it water resistant again.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Insurance on an item that's less than $1,000 is a rip-off in my opinion. I used to carry it some time back but after I had to pay a large deductible to get my phone repaired I realized it was actually much cheaper to just repair the phone whenever it gets damaged than to pay a monthly premium plus a deductible whenever you actually have to use it. Over the long-haul insurance is a rip-off on item this small.
I think you have to pick and choose under $1,000 on what to cover.

My GF started using a fitness band about 3 years ago. She's now on her 4th band and the only money she has paid out of pocket was for the first one. The warranty from Best Buy has replaced the others for no cost. I'd say that warranty has been more than worth it.

As for me, I've gone thru 2 original MS bands and I'm now using the MS Band 2. Same situation. Had warranty from Best Buy and they have replaced each one. Only out of pocket cost was for the first band.

$8 a month with $50 deductible is more than worth it for me just in case something happens to my Note 7.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

My GF started using a fitness band about 3 years ago. She's now on her 4th band and the only money she has paid out of pocket was for the first one. The warranty from Best Buy has replaced the others for no cost. I'd say that warranty has been more than worth it.

As for me, I've gone thru 2 original MS bands and I'm now using the MS Band 2. Same situation. Had warranty from Best Buy and they have replaced each one. Only out of pocket cost was for the first band.

$8 a month with $50 deductible is more than worth it for me just in case something happens to my Note 7.

This proves it just depends from person to person. I haven't run into a situation where I would have ever needed it so I would have lost out on the monthly cost this whole time. My gf though? Glad she has it. She is no where near as careful.

And yes.. I get I am human and anything can happen to me but I am taking that gamble and so far it is winning in my favor.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I think it costs considerably more than that for these curved screens. Could have sworn I saw a thread about it in that S7e section.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
It can also get water damaged which could cost a lot to fix.

Also replacing the screen on the note 7 could cause issues as it is curved and it has a touch screen layer and a s pen layer. Aside from that, it could impact ip68 water resistance and other components, if they didn't do a good job. Keep in mind that it could impact warranty doing a screen replacement from a third party.

Having seen poor screen replacements before... I would only do third party if you are sure that they stand behind their work and don't care about warranty.
$279 screen replacement fee direct from Samsung so device is brought back to like new.

$175 deductible for Assurion replacement plus however much your monthly premium is multiplied by the number of months you had to pay it before you used it.

Cell phone insurance from the carriers with these high deductibles are worthless.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site

True. There are some items that are just more prone to failure. My Bluetooth headphones are a good example. I also got about 3-4 replacements over a few years from BB with the extended warranty.

Where are you insuring your Note 7 that only has a $50 deductible?

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
$279 screen replacement fee direct from Samsung so device is brought back to like new.

$175 deductible for Assurion replacement plus however much your monthly premium is multiplied by the number of months you had to pay it before you used it.

Cell phone insurance from the carriers with these high deductibles are worthless.
Everyone who isn't clueless knows how big a ripoff the carrier insurance is. But buying insurance through Samsung is a pretty good deal. $99 for 2 years, with a $99 deductible. You're not getting ANYTHING repaired on a note 7 for less than that a single time through any repair facility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance