Target preorder : Get $100 gift card plus $200 gift card for smartphone trade in (specific models)

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Re: Target preorder : Get $100 gift card plus $200 gift card for any working smartphone trade in

Generic. It's not live until the Note's release day

Ok. So is this a pre-order or a trade in deal on release day?

Edit: never mind. Checking stores within 50 miles, none carry AT&T models. (Link in the OP)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Target preorder : Get $100 gift card plus $200 gift card for any working smartphone trade in

Might want to change the title to any working smartphone trade in from a specific list. I have 3 working smartphones sitting around and none of them are eligible.
Fixed

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Target retail is $50 higher than carriers, so that offsets some of the deal. The list of devices if hilariously specific. IE, they are not counting on eating much money with trade ins.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Target retail is $50 higher than carriers, so that offsets some of the deal. The list of devices if hilariously specific. IE, they are not counting on eating much money with trade ins.

Like everything else in life, not every offer fits every person. Some people love the AT&T offer of a second rate tablet, and a soon to be outdated watch, plus the privilege of having to pay $20 extra per month for 2 years to get them.

For me, the Note 2 is on the list for $30 (my daughters phone, she is getting my Note 5 when I get the 7). The deal is worth it then. Also the $50 extra can be offset using the trade in value gift cards. As an AT&T customer, there really are not a lot of great options. Sams Club would be OK, but I would have to buy a membership, cutting it down. Everyone else is basically the memory card or the watch... and you still get them via target.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
This deal may convince me to get the note 7. I was 99% sure I would not buy it because I have the S7Edge. Didn't see much of a difference. I want to make sure any phone can be used to receive the full $200 so i'll wait for confirmation. Subscribing to the thread.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I stopped by a Super Target today to check on this promo. Apparently, a vendor runs the mobile phone sections in the Super Target stores. And unfortunately, I was unable to find out any info about this promo. My local Target is not a Super Target and only carries the pre-pay phones so I had to travel to a nearby city to a Super Target in hopes of finding out more about the promo.

Bottom line, I learned nothing about the promo after making an in-person visit to Target. The only thing that popped up in store was a $100 Target GiftCard and a free Gear Fit2 or 256GB Samsung memory card. Nothing at all about the $200 Target gift card.

I don't know if the promo has already changed or if they simply were unaware of any other promos in the system.

I also stopped by BestBuy but they were too busy with only one CSR manning the cell phone area. So I gave up waiting on them.

MisterEd

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I stopped by a Super Target today to check on this promo. Apparently, a vendor runs the mobile phone sections in the Super Target stores. And unfortunately, I was unable to find out any info about this promo. My local Target is not a Super Target and only carries the pre-pay phones so I had to travel to a nearby city to a Super Target in hopes of finding out more about the promo.

Bottom line, I learned nothing about the promo after making an in-person visit to Target. The only thing that popped up in store was a $100 Target GiftCard and a free Gear Fit2 or 256GB Samsung memory card. Nothing at all about the $200 Target gift card.

I don't know if the promo has already changed or if they simply were unaware of any other promos in the system.

I also stopped by BestBuy but they were too busy with only one CSR manning the cell phone area. So I gave up waiting on them.

They don't have a clue. Once the phones are available they will have the details. Just bring in a print out of the online promo and the confirmation email you got that shows it.

BTW, Target Mobile used to be part of Radio Shack. A friend of mine worked there and I met the District Manager. This was about 5 years ago, Not sure what happened after Rat Shack sold out to a bunch of investors called Standard Brands but Spint has somehting to do with it from what I understand from my Broker.

MisterEd

May 16, 2010
Visit site
How do you pre-order thru Target website?

If the phone is available at the store you choose (it more than likely won't be unless you want Verizon) you select the color and fill out the form. If the store you select doesn't have the phone you won't be able to preorder. Keep trying various stores. The nearest one I found was 40 miles RT..

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
They don't have a clue. Once the phones are available they will have the details. Just bring in a print out of the online promo and the confirmation email you got that shows it.

I am unable to discover the details of the promo. Will myG1 iPad work for a trade in? It's on the list of acceptable trade-ins on their trade-in page (worth about $15 vs the $40 my GS4 is worth). The CSR did not think it qualified and thought it had to be a late model smart phone of some sort. But what I see here is that the trade-in value has no bearing on the $200 guarantee. So if my $40 GS4 is worth a $200 gift card, then my $15 G1 iPad should be too methinks.

If this is a pre-order promo, it can't wait until they have the phones in stock. And I'm not trading in my GS4. I need it for other things. If there are two different promos, one pre-order and one post-product arrival, then it's not very clear that is the case.

I think I'll just sit this one out until the dust clears... or until I have some understanding of the promo(s).

Oh yeah, that was the other thing. I checked 5 or 6 stores within a 30 mile radius. All I saw were VZW phones and 1 store also had a Sprint phone. None had AT&T. So it may all be a moot point anyway.

Pippinsky

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site

How does this deal work when one wants to do a 2 year upgrade?

plus one on that question, I'm preordered at Target, being on Sprint and having an upgrade available, , no way would I pay full price....

chig

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
So, any phone on their list, will they give you a $200 gift card or what they appraise it for?
My Note 4 from Tmobile got a calculated value of $84, so curious if for this promotion they'll still give me $200 or simply a $84 gift card???

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So, any phone on their list, will they give you a $200 gift card or what they appraise it for?
My Note 4 from Tmobile got a calculated value of $84, so curious if for this promotion they'll still give me $200 or simply a $84 gift card???

Posted via the Android Central App
They will give $200 for qualifying phones. Unfortunately there is no list of phones posted. But I would imagine that the note 4 would be ok

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
They will give $200 for qualifying phones. Unfortunately there is no list of phones posted. But I would imagine that the note 4 would be ok
Yes, there is a list. If it's on their trade in site right now. Regardless of what it says they would pay you, you'll get $200.

race4life

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Just a guess but I would think it wouldn't include tablets. When I pre-ordered with Target I got an email with the following:
"Get money back on your old phone. When you purchase and activate your Note7 between 8/19 and 8/27, get a guaranteed $200 trade in value with any working smartphone Target electronics trade-in program. Details on applicable trade in devices available at https://targettrade-in.com"

It only states a working phone.

MisterEd

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I bought a used working Samsung Jitterbug Touch 3 on eBay for $30. That was the cheapest listed phone I could find that was on their list (and I checked them all). :D That's the "senior citizen" CDMA phone that only works on GreatCall service, My 89yr old father actually has one. I figure for a net of $170 it was worth it. Worse case, if they don't take it, I can resell it or give it to him for when he breaks his (again).

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Mr. Ed,

That was a very rare find. The cheapest phones on the list are about 50-75 used. Mind you they cannot have broken screens or water damage, and must power up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21