08-16-2016 09:22 AM
65 123
tools
    Probably next to none. Glasses.
    It doesn't work with glasses?

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-06-2016 11:40 PM
    I'll set it up and play with it, but I think the fingerprint scanner is all I will use. I don't keep state secrets or naked pictures of myself on my phone, so I'm not that worried about it lol

08-07-2016 01:06 AM
    Fingerprint didn't work for me. Like the Irish scanner ID. Other companies are reaching out to Samsung about this technology. Great idea

08-07-2016 07:49 PM
    I have had so many issues with fingerprint scanner. I will try it try the iris scanner.

Odd, on the Note 5 the fingerprint scanner has been nearly instant and flawless, 80% or greater of the time for me. On my Note 4, it sucked... odd since most feel that the note 4 was the best phone that has ever been made, and ever will be made. /s

Probably next to none. Glasses.
    You cannot wear glasses when you set it up. However, in real world use, glasses are being reported as rarely an issue, if at all. Glare on the glasses (bright sun shining in your face) or glare on the camera (sun shining directly at the camera) seems to be its only real issue and a slight angle change looks to fix it.

One reviewer from the hands on they did at the unpacked event showed it was so fast that he struggled to find a way to film it. You saw a near instant blip from the ir light (the camera can see it, but your naked eye cannot) and pop the device was unlocked. It was near instant.... most of the time.
    08-07-2016 09:53 PM
    It depends on how well it works. However, It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    08-07-2016 10:49 PM
    I am clearly a fan of it. Like the videos of it so far, and have high hopes.. but lets be honest.... is it really more secure?

Think about it. Security is only as strong as the weakest link. Samsung bragged at the release event that it will keep parents out of their kids phones (not in my house... I pay the bill, I get in whenever I want, or they lose their phone!)... and it keeps the other kids out of your kids phones. OK, but does it. As I understand it, you will be required to have fingerprint and password backups... so if the password is the weakest security, then how is the iris scan more secure? So long as a weaker option is available you are still only as secure as that.

Let me put it another way... a solid steel door, with 3 deadbolt locks, bio-metric access... is no more secure than a $30 storm door, if it has a glass window in it.
    08-07-2016 11:09 PM
    Probably for the first few days.

Then I might either stay with it if it proves to be reliable enough or just switch to the fingerprint sensor.
    08-07-2016 11:41 PM
    I have been using the device for 5 days (we got it in Dubai really early!!). I can confirm that I use the iris scanner 80% of the time. It works great and as advertized. The 20% is when i forget that I have the Note 7 and go for the fingerprint option!
    You need to initially get the used to position the phone in the right place in front of your eyes for it to work quickly. It still surprises me with how quick it is.

I can also confirm that it works with eye glasses and sun glasses (provided that there is not much glare around).
    boufa likes this.
    08-08-2016 01:33 AM
    Don't you have to unlock it with your fingerprint or other unlock method first?
    08-08-2016 10:46 AM
    I think you have to swipe up to activate it. No other unlock method needed to use it though I believe you have to set up a fingerprint in conjunction with the scanner.
    08-08-2016 10:51 AM
    It doesn't work with glasses?

I think you have to have your glasses off to initially set it up and then you can leave your glasses on to use it.
    08-08-2016 10:57 AM
    It's another gimmick that will be fun at first but will get old quick.
    I don't believe it's a gimmick. This is new technology that is in its infancy and it will get better with age.
    One day you may use it to unlock or start your car or unlock the door to your house.
    08-08-2016 11:00 AM
    In some of the videos I've seen it looks like you can hit the power button to wake the screen first.
    08-08-2016 11:02 AM
    The only time I would use it, is if my fingers are wet or dirty. Wish you didnt have to wake the phone and slide it open to use the Iris Scanner tho.
    zoomis likes this.
    08-08-2016 02:06 PM
    The only time I would use it, is if my fingers are wet or dirty. Wish you didnt have to wake the phone and slide it open to use the Iris Scanner tho.
    This is the part that I'm confused about. If you have to wake or unlock or do some motion first... then FPS is faster; so why do this?
    zoomis likes this.
    08-08-2016 02:08 PM
    This is the part that I'm confused about. If you have to wake or unlock or do some motion first... then FPS is faster; so why do this?
    FPS you have to either wake up the phone first or place ur finger and hold till it wakes up and unlocks ur phone.
    08-08-2016 02:11 PM
    Guy demonstrated it at T-Mobile store, wicked fast.

08-08-2016 02:16 PM
    Ok, i'm very confused now. Why are there two actions needed? On the nexus, putting your finger on the scanner instantly wakes and unlocks the device.
    08-08-2016 02:19 PM
    Same for me. The fingerprint scanner is normally great. When it doesn't work, it is very frustrating. I'm hoping the iris scanner is an effective second option.
    08-08-2016 02:57 PM
    Have it on my 950XL. I use the pin like 90% of the time. The iris scanner is gimmicky. You'll see.

If you have to have it as close to your face as the 950XL, it will get annoying real quick.
    08-08-2016 08:57 PM
    I set it up and tried it at Verizon and it's fast! I was shocked at how quick it was. I'll use it.

I also saw where someone here had issues with the Surface Pro 4 facial recognition. I have no issues with
    the Surface Pro 4, but the Note 7 was even faster for me.
    08-08-2016 09:54 PM
    It looks gimmicky, it works great in good lighting but in real world probably doesn't

IR works in the dark and low light conditions.
    08-08-2016 11:13 PM
    This is the way I forsee using this feature....turn on phone with home button, finger already there so fingerprint let's me in. If wearing gloves or fingers are dirty or wet then iris scan takes over. Even if I am already in the phone I can go to the secure folder to look at something and since finger might not be near the home button the phones first option is iris scan to get in with fingerprint backup. That, for me, with be a good setup. It provides 2 factor authentication.
    08-08-2016 11:17 PM
    I'd use it everyday especially then i am sleepy I'd just pick up the phone lool and be in a jiffy
    08-09-2016 03:48 AM
    I will use it a lot when outside this winter.
    Good thinking. "Hands free"!

08-09-2016 06:52 AM
65 123