How much do you think you will use the iris scanner?

ctk4949

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This is the part that I'm confused about. If you have to wake or unlock or do some motion first... then FPS is faster; so why do this?

FPS you have to either wake up the phone first or place ur finger and hold till it wakes up and unlocks ur phone.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Ok, i'm very confused now. Why are there two actions needed? On the nexus, putting your finger on the scanner instantly wakes and unlocks the device.

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
The only time I would use it, is if my fingers are wet or dirty. Wish you didnt have to wake the phone and slide it open to use the Iris Scanner tho.

Same for me. The fingerprint scanner is normally great. When it doesn't work, it is very frustrating. I'm hoping the iris scanner is an effective second option.

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Have it on my 950XL. I use the pin like 90% of the time. The iris scanner is gimmicky. You'll see.

If you have to have it as close to your face as the 950XL, it will get annoying real quick.

stronggeek

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I set it up and tried it at Verizon and it's fast! I was shocked at how quick it was. I'll use it.

I also saw where someone here had issues with the Surface Pro 4 facial recognition. I have no issues with
the Surface Pro 4, but the Note 7 was even faster for me.

Arsenio Martins

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
This is the way I forsee using this feature....turn on phone with home button, finger already there so fingerprint let's me in. If wearing gloves or fingers are dirty or wet then iris scan takes over. Even if I am already in the phone I can go to the secure folder to look at something and since finger might not be near the home button the phones first option is iris scan to get in with fingerprint backup. That, for me, with be a good setup. It provides 2 factor authentication.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Agree, winter will be a great use case for the iris scanner. If it is effective, I will use it.

There have been a lot of comments that the technology is not new. That is probably a good thing. Normally a few iterations of a tech are needed for usability. See fingerpirnt scanners.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Depends on how well it works for me.

I didnt care about fingerprint scanners until the note5 came out and it was very reliable. Will be the same for the iris scanner, if it works well I'll use it alot, if not, ill use the print.

Posted via the Android Central App

Same here

jshah500

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Will it be possible to have both FPS and IS on at the same time and then choose which one you have to use? I've never had either on a phone so I'm excited to try both. It would be beneficial to use the IS when you have gloves on or your fingers are wet/dirty (like people have mentioned) and just use the FPS otherwise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol