Which would you prefer? Water resistant or replaceable battery?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Water resistance.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Try living in Florida. Rain killed my HTC M8. We were at a Waterpark and literally within 3 minutes my phone drowned in a pool of water.

Posted via the Android Central App

I was referring to a phone held in your hand.....puddle not included

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Or just keep staying on my call since the phone can handle it? See -- different uses for different people ;).

Exactly...

This morning I went to my weekends morning run and about 5 minutes into it, a thunderstorm came out of nowhere and in a matter of minutes I was literally soaked like if I was pushed into a pool, thanks to my waterproof s7edge I simply finished my run, if it had been any other non waterproof phone I'd just stopped and looked for cover or it would have been damaged without a doubt.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Or just keep staying on my call since the phone can handle it? See -- different uses for different people ;).

Any phone can handle that but what kind of knuckle head stays out in the pouring rain on the phone? Only the typical phone zombie I see daily in the streets of Manhattan would do that. Society is doomed.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Any phone can handle that but what kind of knuckle head stays out in the pouring rain on the phone? Only the typical phone zombie I see daily in the streets of Manhattan would do that. Society is doomed.

I would have to disagree as there are times you can be soaked in 20 seconds or less due to the rain here. Sorry you disagree but just because you want removable doesn't mean water protection doesn't have it's advantages to some of us -- Just like you swear removable > all but .. I disagree :). Different usage patterns.

Just like in my example here .. some people don't even talk on the phone so they would like at me like "You use a phone!?" ;).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I would have to disagree as there are times you can be soaked in 20 seconds or less due to the rain here. Sorry you disagree but just because you want removable doesn't mean water protection doesn't have it's advantages to some of us -- Just like you swear removable > all but .. I disagree :). Different usage patterns.

Just like in my example here .. some people don't even talk on the phone so they would like at me like "You use a phone!?" ;).

My comments have nothing to do with a removable battery vs. Water resistance. I've never had a problem with using a phone In the rain and none of them were labeled water resitant though two of them had sealed batteries. I can see needing a water resistant phone if you drop it in the in water or fall overboard on a boat or you hang out with people that push you into a pool. Anyway I really don't care...I just don't think rain is a good example. Perhaps if you are an emergency worker and don't have a two way radio or are stuck in the rain during an emergency. Its happened to me as a law enforcement officer when we were out of range to communicate to my headquarters by radio and phone was the only option. Police don't carry umbrellas so I've had to make do with using my phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My comments have nothing to do with a removable battery vs. Water resistance. I've never had a problem with using a phone In the rain and none of them were labeled water resitant though two of them had sealed batteries. I can see needing a water resistant phone if you drop it in the in water or fall overboard on a boat or you hang out with people that push you into a pool. Anyway I really don't care...I just don't think rain is a good example. Perhaps if you are an emergency worker and don't have a two way radio or are stuck in the rain during an emergency. Its happened to me as a law enforcement officer when we were out of range to communicate to my headquarters by radio and phone was the only option. Police don't carry umbrellas so I've had to make do with using my phone.

And I get that but your instant response was to put away my phone .. As in not acknowledging any situation where it could be useful. Hence my responses. You then went on to even insults those people by saying they are "knuckle heads" and that "society is doomed" because we don't have your exact scenario all the time. Not very fair IMO.

damule6666

Banned
Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
As I don't live in this "perfect" world many of you seem to. And as there are things called accidents that happen (to those of us normal humans in the real world that is, not to the infallible populace of perfect)
And being one of the aforementioned regular saps, I have had a mishap or 2. So I with wide open arms, welcome water resistance..

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
And many of us live in parts of the country where it doesn't just rain, it pours. So it is a very valid example, especially living in Florida.

If you put your phone away as soon as it rains, that's not what I mean. I mean having to make a phone call or make a text in a STORM.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Water-resistance. I don't take my phones near water, but there are cases where accidents or unpredictable events happen. For instance, while out in vacation in Da Nang, which is in Vietnam, while filming the Dragon Bridge show with my a6000, the camera along with every phone out there got drenched by spraying water, which was part of the show itself. The amount of water wasn't high, but the camera got wet, still. While it still works perfectly fine, having a water-resistant phone would really help in that situation, especially for the confidence factor. Of course, let's not forget those instances where your phone is on the table but you accidentally spill your drink. Or when you're in the middle of a call outdoors and it suddenly rains without warning.

I used to really need a removable battery, but with more phones being able to last a day on my usage pattern, along with quick-charging for those heavy days, it's not really a "must-have" anymore for my usage pattern. Of course, some people do need a removable battery, and as such, they may want that instead of water-resistance, and that is fine. No one uses their phone in exactly the same way as another, and that's really the thing to consider.

Of course, if a phone that has a removable battery that lasts a full-day on my usage pattern with the ability to swap it out and/or quick-charge it for those heavier days AND has IP68 water and dust resistance, that would be great for everyone here. But for that, you would need a rugged monster like the Rugtel Tank X10, and as such, I would pick water-resistance over a removable battery, personally.

If the LG V20 comes with an IP68 rating, that MIL-STD-810G rating from the V10 and a removable battery, some folks here would be happy.

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
So you have a phone in your hand.... Put it away.

Even if your phone is in your pocket when you get caught in a downpour, your pants get soaking wet and so does your phone and everything else in your pockets.
Zip lock bags are great for keeping the things in your pocket dry.

Jims S5

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
I got the S5 over the S6 for these reasons. I think of failing batteries when this question is asked, not because the battery is discharged. Just had to change battery on wife's S3. I don't need the newest phone each year. So I like the S5. If it could be all in one package for this phone, why not the new ones? Keeps the masses getting new phones all the time. Money for the big corporations. But what do I know? Lol.
I had a flip phone till last year 😂

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Some people here say they have never dropped their phones in water and yes, most people are responsible for their phones, but it can happen to even the most careful. I know because it happened to me several years ago. It was a complete accident and I was not being careless. It can happen to anyone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781