Which would you prefer? Water resistant or replaceable battery?

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
For me, it's easy. Removeable battery.

Never in twenty three years with mobile phones have I ever dropped it in any type of water, and I'm out in the elements a lot.

I carry my Note 5 in a leather belt holster and when it rains while running, so what! I just move my shirt over the holster case and sometimes I don't. Never any damage.

Posted via the Android Central App

I'm not disagreeing because I love removable batteries. But I've never dropped my phone in water either, yet on the 4th of July this year at a parade, some sprinklers turned on and ruined 3 phones in my group. You can't plan for everything, so I like the 'insurance' that covers the unexpected. For me, that's IP68.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
And I get that but your instant response was to put away my phone .. As in not acknowledging any situation where it could be useful. Hence my responses. You then went on to even insults those people by saying they are "knuckle heads" and that "society is doomed" because we don't have your exact scenario all the time. Not very fair IMO.
Now you know you should have sense to come on out of the rain 😆

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
replaceable battery by a landslide. I just can't get used to pocket carrying a 6~10000 mah battery bank and USB cable and charging on the go. I also don't think micro USB is durable enough to withstand this kind of bending and wear over the long haul. I have never owned USB-C, so that may change things for the better. While I can very comfortably carry a couple batteries in my wallet in a zip lock bag. In 2-3 minutes I can do a field swap for an instantaneous full 100%.

I can achieve sufficient water resistance with an otterbox and a dry-sack case. As a boy scout outing volunteer, I am actively out in the rain 1-2 weekends a month in the winter with a bunch of teenage guys who are always on the go. So in a HEAVY downpour and I need to film, I need to take out the gopro+dive case. So my phone might not be submersible, and its definitely not operational in a dry-sack case but its more than enough to withstand heavy rain and anything I care to splash at my phone.

Sadly for me, replace-able batteries are a thing of the past and at some point very soon I am going to lose the option all together. At that point I am left with no choice but a fixed battery, and in that scenario I would absolutely chose a phone with water resistance... S7 Active would be my choice.

Last edited:

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I prefer water resistance, honestly. I've dealt with the S5 and its removable battery and I noticed no difference to how I use my batter on the S7edge. I did have an extra one to swap with my S5, however, it got annoying to have to take my case off, take the back piece off, take that battery out and replace it with the new, put the back piece and case back on and have to recharge the other battery, so after a while, I just ended up buying an external battery pack and used that instead which is exactly what I'm doing with my S7edge. Nowadays, having a removable battery is more "old school" than something that new technology should have. Every form of technology has built in batteries now; laptops, tablets, phones, etc. Times are different. Now, working with phones for a living, whenever I test a phone that has a removable battery, it just seems so ... old. I also like how they have improved the water resistance technology coming from the S5 since the charging port cover got really annoying having to take out every time I needed to charge my phone that I ended up breaking it off lol So, having lived with devices with built in batteries for the past few years, I am fairly used to handling it better than I did when I had devices that had removable batteries. Plus, the phones look so much better and sleeker with the new material than with the crappy plastic they had to use in the past. Technology is improving as time goes and I like it.

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Battery FTW, but they are using that as excuse. Sealed batteries are to force devices overall into a two year retirement model.
Im sure that has a lot to do with it. Nothing is built to last anymore like is was when I was a kid in the sixties. A lot of people don't keep their phones more than two years, including myself. Ive never had to replace a battery in a smart phone.
I still have old phones that I use that have no battery problems.
I use a 1st gen Moto G for my alarm clock and it will stay charged for a month at a time.
I have a Droid RAZR that I that I take to work and it has no battery problems.
I consider myself a light user so I sure that makes a difference.
If someone is a heavy user and has to recharge more than once in 24 hours, I'm sure they will put more stress on their battery and may need to replace it sometime during the life of the phone. You can replace batteries in phones that don't have removable batteries but you would have decide if it's cost effective or not.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Also I feel the need to express this aspect....

Water resistance as well as "premium" construction is marketing smoke and mirrors for the truth. The truth is, a fixed battery of any type represents forced obsolesence by the carrier and manufacturers. They have cleverly disguised planned obsolesence by using words like "Premium Handset", and "IPX water submersion", since no battery will sustain its original capacity beyond ~2 years.

The reality is though we should not have to make a choice one way or the other... There is no reason manufacturers and carriers can not give us BOTH water resistance and a replace-able battery. Look at water submersible point and shoot cameras. All it takes is a trap door and gasket seal to achieve BOTH water resistance and removable batteries.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Last week I was on vacation along the New Jersey shore. We were walking down the beach in the surf, and I saw a girl with an iPhone out in the water taking selfies. Just as I commented on how dumb it was to have such an expensive device out there....yup, she dropped it. Waist deep of ocean water on an iPhone. She didn't just pick it up she had to go down into the waves to get it. It's toast.

Do I think that waterproofing is necessary... no, can I be careful...yep, sure... but I certainly will appreciate the extra protection.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

Water resistance as well as "premium" construction is marketing smoke and mirrors for the truth. The truth is, a fixed battery of any type represents forced obsolesence by the carrier and manufacturers. They have cleverly disguised planned obsolesence by using words like "Premium Handset", and "IPX water submersion", since no battery will sustain its original capacity beyond ~2 years.

The reality is though we should not have to make a choice one way or the other... There is no reason manufacturers and carriers can not give us BOTH water resistance and a replace-able battery. Look at water submersible point and shoot cameras. All it takes is a trap door and gasket seal to achieve BOTH water resistance and removable batteries.

Yes... this obsolescence is one reason I chose removeable battery.

I've got TWO external quick charge batteries and fast charge car charger as, we'll as home office fast charging. All this is great.

However... Battery degradation, which I've posted a lot about, IS the issue for me and why I like to swap out batteries when they get weaker and keep the older as spares.

I can afford new phones if I want but at a THOUSAND dollars a piece Inc accessories and taxes, that's a LOT of cash for a phone.

If many folks live in areas where it's drenching humid and wet, so be it... get your water resistant phone.

I too cannot understand why the Samsung cannot make removeable battery and water resistant.

Sammy is marketing Smart. They want people to update EVERY YEAR. That's too much in my book.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes... this obsolescence is one reason I chose removeable battery.

I've got TWO external quick charge batteries and fast charge car charger as, we'll as home office fast charging. All this is great.

However... Battery degradation, which I've posted a lot about, IS the issue for me and why I like to swap out batteries when they get weaker and keep the older as spares.

I can afford new phones if I want but at a THOUSAND dollars a piece Inc accessories and taxes, that's a LOT of cash for a phone.

If many folks live in areas where it's drenching humid and wet, so be it... get your water resistant phone.

I too cannot understand why the Samsung cannot make removeable battery and water resistant.

Sammy is marketing Smart. They want people to update EVERY YEAR. That's too much in my book.

The non-removable battery isn't about being water resistant. The S5 was water resistant.

damule6666

Banned
Apr 12, 2010
Visit site

The fact that the % of people keeping these devices beyond the 2 year mark is probably pretty low. (And I know there will be people who do) but the fact most don't. So knowing this they went with the obvious popular choice for most. Companies don't continue to produce items people don't buy (successful ones anyway) if the curved screen and sealed batteries weren't what the masses wanted, they'd change it..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey