Which would you prefer? Water resistant or replaceable battery?

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Umm.. They can make a phone water resistant with a removable battery.

The non-removable battery is for other reasons, not so the phone will be water resistant.

Did you actually read what I wrote? I don't think so.

I prefer a phone with BOTH water resistance and removable battery. Sammy moved away to sealed for who knows what reason? Thinness? Planned obsolescence?

At this point in life, I think it was to copy Apple for slim, sealed, and getting buyers to update every year.

Posted via the Android Central App

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Yes... this obsolescence is one reason I chose removeable battery.

I too cannot understand why the Samsung cannot make removeable battery and water resistant.

Sammy is marketing Smart. They want people to update EVERY YEAR. That's too much in my book.

EXACTLY... the point here is THEY CAN design for BOTH water resistance and a removable battery. The previous generation Galaxy phones boasted this capability, I think it was the S5 or S4??. Samsung very quickly realized "Hey we can make more $$$ if we force everyone to obsolete their device every other year... Lets give them an all glass phone, seal it up and disguise it with punch lines like "Premium Handset".

So again its all smoke and mirrors (almost literally) to cover the truth.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Did you actually read what I wrote? I don't think so.

I prefer a phone with BOTH water resistance and removable battery. Sammy moved away to sealed for who knows what reason? Thinness? Planned obsolescence?

At this point in life, I think it was to copy Apple for slim, sealed, and getting buyers to update every year.

I did read what you wrote and oddly someone right below your post addressed the same thing.

You wrote this:
6d829432edb3248a890cb827f5424cdb.jpg

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
You can have the stage... you know everything. Or think you do. 😅

Is there an ignore feature on this forum? I've got to look for one.

I addressed an issue, I didn't claim to know everything. Ignore a team member, you might can, but whatever.

I'm not sure what about my post offended you.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
And I get that but your instant response was to put away my phone .. As in not acknowledging any situation where it could be useful. Hence my responses. You then went on to even insults those people by saying they are "knuckle heads" and that "society is doomed" because we don't have your exact scenario all the time. Not very fair IMO.

If you saw what I saw on the streets of Manhattan on a daily basis you would understand my comments.

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I would rather have both. I don't switch batteries out often, but I like the option. I also change it every 6 months to a year if I feel they are degrading. I don't want to have the Iphone option of buying a new phone if I want more memory or another battery. If they had a sealed back that allowed me to remove it and replace the battery I would be more ok with it. I don't like a mandidtory upgrade every year or live with a degraded battery. I just changed the batteries on my note 3's again for $5 each and they are working like new again. As far as a biased poll, this is a Note 7 section, so most have already decided to go that way. I am reading the forum to see how the phone performs and may buy a new one (didn't say upgrade) for someone else who thinks they want something new.

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I also don't like the idea of having to load hundreds of apps and populate the data I will have to back up. I tell people to reset the phone before buying a new one, the result will be the same as a new one will need completely rebuilt from the ground up anyway. Many have forgotten what their phone was like when new, a reset is a chance to restore it to that state.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I also don't like the idea of having to load hundreds of apps and populate the data I will have to back up. I tell people to reset the phone before buying a new one, the result will be the same as a new one will need completely rebuilt from the ground up anyway. Many have forgotten what their phone was like when new, a reset is a chance to restore it to that state.
I'm not sure what you are talking about here exactly..

stanleybb50

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Never thought of it until now, but surprisingly, I think I'd rather have the water resistance.

If it weren't for fast charging, I wouldn't feel this way. Fast charging changed everything for me. I had 2 spare batteries for my Note 4, like I did for my GN3 and GS3, but the fast charge was almost just easier to top up here/there on that note 4 than the swapping and remembering to charge the spares and stuff.

Note 5 - same. I'm good with no removable battery. But I only keep phones for a year... So... I never really reach that point if batteries running low.

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm talking about when my battery gets degraded, I can slide a new one in the phone in under a minute and I don't have to deal with setting up a new phone the way I like it. I have tons of apps and data I really don't want to have to try to reload and set up. A phone without a removable battery leaves me with the only option of charging it way too often, or buying a new one and setting it up. I live on my phone, I use it religiously for all kinds of things to get me through the day. My phone is not a toy to me, I rely on it and once I get it set up I prefer to keep it as long as possible. It's not even a money thing for me, it's more of a "I don't want to spend a month trying to load it up and set it up again" kind of thing. I will be waiting to see if the LG V20 has a removable battery 6 September, it is likely since the last one had a removable battery.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm talking about when my battery gets degraded, I can slide a new one in the phone in under a minute and I don't have to deal with setting up a new phone the way I like it. I have tons of apps and data I really don't want to have to try to reload and set up. A phone without a removable battery leaves me with the only option of charging it way too often, or buying a new one and setting it up. I live on my phone, I use it religiously for all kinds of things to get me through the day. My phone is not a toy to me, I rely on it and once I get it set up I prefer to keep it as long as possible. It's not even a money thing for me, it's more of a "I don't want to spend a month trying to load it up and set it up again" kind of thing.

That's wonderful, it really is. But keep in mind most people hear DO buy new phones every year or two. So a battery degrading is a non issue.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm talking about when my battery gets degraded, I can slide a new one in the phone in under a minute and I don't have to deal with setting up a new phone the way I like it. I have tons of apps and data I really don't want to have to try to reload and set up. A phone without a removable battery leaves me with the only option of charging it way too often, or buying a new one and setting it up. I live on my phone, I use it religiously for all kinds of things to get me through the day. My phone is not a toy to me, I rely on it and once I get it set up I prefer to keep it as long as possible. It's not even a money thing for me, it's more of a "I don't want to spend a month trying to load it up and set it up again" kind of thing. I will be waiting to see if the LG V20 has a removable battery 6 September, it is likely since the last one had a removable battery.
A month to set it back up?

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Guess that is why am looking for a battery pak. I like replacement batteries. I am not near water and am careful with my stuff

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz