Edge features?

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I only saw a quick tour of the edge factor when I went to best buy. It's similar to the Note 4 Edge but you basically create extra pages just on the edge you ca n flip through. Kinda neat

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I watched a few videos of the s7 edge... Wow. There are some nice options. Lightning call alerts looks neat. There is one video saying that there are at least 64 options for the side panel, but you are limited to 9 active. Also, some are downloadable only with a fee, though not all.

I keep my app drawer sorted into folders...gonna see if I can do the same with the edge panel.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I need to understand why, when and how anyone puts their phone face down to utilize the "glow" feature of the edge...?

JHStewart1023

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
To me it gives more functionality to the note edge features that i honestly fell in love with two years ago. And they are all customizeable which is awesome for each user. This was one of the main reasons i left the iPhone behind. Cant wait to see what samsung is going to do with it next.

Posted via the Android Central App

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm gonna shut off edge. I see no point. Just like scrolling to next screen

There is a chance I might too. I'll have to play with it for a while to see what I might like about it, as I have never had a edge screen before. I'm keeping an open mind though for now. Hoping there is some useful items for me

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I need to understand why, when and how anyone puts their phone face down to utilize the "glow" feature of the edge...?

You are aware that these devices are used in literally millions of different ways by millions of different people. Each have their favorites, and each have things that they don't use. What makes android so awesome is the ability to customize your device to so many different combinations. The edge features have a simple toggle to turn them off. You don't want it, turn it off. I for one never, ever, use any gestures, and quite a bit of other awesome features, I can't even name at the moment.

As for the lighting edge, Yep my phone is face done most of the time. first I have a zen watch, and second it protects the screen. "What!?!?!?! protects the screen, you must be an *****!" Well, you may be right about the ***** part, but many/most device cases have a several mm lip around them specifically to keep the screen from touching when face down. Thus the delicate screen is protected from anything i might drop on it.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I still do not see the point in regards to function for this device, besides easier to hold and still claim 5.7 display.

The Edge apps that use the actual curve for displaying will not work, since too thin of a surface. The side bar stripe is superfluous since you cqn bring the same function by swiping the edge of a normal display.

Comparing the Note 5 and 7 in store and you notice text in desktop mode for web pages is harder to read due to the curve.

Bluesnews is a good example of text on sides of page. Great site, BTW.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I still do not see the point in regards to function for this device, besides easier to hold and still claim 5.7 display.

The Edge apps that use the actual curve for displaying will not work, since too thin of a surface. The side bar stripe is superfluous since you cqn bring the same function by swiping the edge of a normal display.

Comparing the Note 5 and 7 in store and you notice text in desktop mode for web pages is harder to read due to the curve.

Bluesnews is a good example of text on sides of page. Great site, BTW.
So your saying the edge apps, like ticker, night clock, etc won't work even though they are listed in the user manual?

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
You are aware that these devices are used in literally millions of different ways by millions of different people. Each have their favorites, and each have things that they don't use. What makes android so awesome is the ability to customize your device to so many different combinations. The edge features have a simple toggle to turn them off. You don't want it, turn it off. I for one never, ever, use any gestures, and quite a bit of other awesome features, I can't even name at the moment.

As for the lighting edge, Yep my phone is face done most of the time. first I have a zen watch, and second it protects the screen. "What!?!?!?! protects the screen, you must be an *****!" Well, you may be right about the ***** part, but many/most device cases have a several mm lip around them specifically to keep the screen from touching when face down. Thus the delicate screen is protected from anything i might drop on it.
I'll do face down if you show me a slim sexy case that has that little lip... I'm not gonna get a big stupid case just so I can put my phone face down. It never how's face down because I don't want to damage the screen. I like the idea, though...