Backlight button colors differences: Silver vs. Black vs. Coral

mmsean

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi I went to Best Buy and looked at the silver and black version and noticed that the backlight color of the Silver buttons seems like a yellowish orange vs for the Black it was more blueish white. Anyone else seeing the same thing? I wonder if anyone can chime in about the Coral blue model as well. Maybe it was the displays they had but I really didn't like the yellowish orange so I purchased the black version.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi I went to Best Buy and looked at the silver and black version and noticed that the backlight color of the Silver buttons seems like a yellowish orange vs for the Black it was more blueish white. Anyone else seeing the same thing? I wonder if anyone can chime in about the Coral blue model as well. Maybe it was the displays they had but I really didn't like the yellowish orange so I purchased the black version.
Interesting observation. It could be the floor models. Were you able to see more than just one device with similar issues?

Ingeneious

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
I obviously don't know if this is the case but there's a chance someone may have turned on the blue light filter and left it that way and that's could explain it.

mmsean

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I'd love to see what other's say maybe it was just a fluke but it was a major reason why I chose black over silver.

mmsean

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I went today and looked again and yes they are different. I even asked the Samsung rep if he saw a color difference and he agreed.

20160807_131607.jpg
20160807_131618.jpg

Last edited:

mmsean

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Never mind, I've only been a Samsung only customer for almost 20 years, so I'm just not sure what to expect.
I guess I'm not understanding your point they've been on and played with and run constantly for 4 days how does that change the color of the backlight?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'm not understanding your point they've been on and played with and run constantly for 4 days how does that change the color of the backlight?
My whole point was if you want to know if there are color differences in buttons due to phone color or if all are white.. Call Samsung, don't base it on a Best Buy retail model.

And yes, in a few days a Best Buy retail model can be trashed or worse shape than a year of me owning a phone.. Quote often actually.

One I played with yesterday already has software issues and a crack.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Or maybe... They tested several colors and discovered that certain white lights look better on the black and a slightly different color temperature on the other colors make them stand out better.... you know white against silver isn't necessarily the best idea.

You can look for conspiracy, but I see a potential design choice.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Or maybe... They tested several colors and discovered that certain white lights look better on the black and a slightly different color temperature on the other colors make them stand out better.... you know white against silver isn't necessarily the best idea.

You can look for conspiracy, but I see a potential design choice.
They could have, Samsung is the one that would know for sure.

I would never ever judge a phone by the display model at especially Best Buy. I've sat, not stood, at the display for a couple of hours at a time and watched people mess with the phones.

It was shocking.

mmsean

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I realize that the color differences in the buttons could be a design choice I was just making sure that other people were seen this and noticing this other than myself

longy003

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
Interesting observation. It could be the floor models. Were you able to see more than just one device with similar issues?

I actually noticed in one of the many youtube launch 'Hands on' vids i watched, that one had orangish coloured backlights. But only have seen it ones.....wonder if this could be the first issue? Hope not

Roman Akert

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
It is exactly the same on the S7E. The black one has blue'ish tint. The gold and silver ones have a slight yellow colour. Something to do with the foil used under the glass. Doesn't bother me at all (gold).