What exactly does "Unlocked" Mean?

I have been on verizon for 9 years. About three months ago I started dropping calls, but only at work. Anywhere else in the city and my coverage is great. I contacted verizon and they told me my work is in a known bad coverage area so I should get a new device with wifi calling that will automatically switch over if it looses its cell signal. I bought the S7 Edge and had it about a week. It did the same as my old note 3. I was dropping calls or not receiving them all the time at work. As a result, I returned it to verizon.

So now I am going to get the Note 7. My note 3 is due for replacement anyways. I am thinking about switching over to AT&T. Verizon Customer support sux. If I ever call them with a billing issue, it takes months to resolve. Plus I am likely still in a bad coverage area at work. Having said all that, what if I switch to AT&T and their coverage is even worse in my area! I dont want to buy a carrier specific phone and be locked to that carrier unless I replace the phone. If I buy an unlocked Note 7, will I be able to use it with any US carrier?
    08-07-2016 07:28 AM
    Yes, any GSM carrier. ALL carriers CS suck especially when it comes to billing issues. You might want to pick up a dirt cheap used ATT phone and drop a prepaid SIM in it for a month to see if it is any better,
    08-07-2016 08:43 AM
    Yes, any GSM carrier. ALL carriers CS suck especially when it comes to billing issues. You might want to pick up a dirt cheap used ATT phone and drop a prepaid SIM in it for a month to see if it is any better,
    Not only that, I use tmobile and plan on staying with them for a long time, but carriers such as Tmobile charge 20 bucks now to order something at the store, and they put bloatware on carrier phones, and they're at least the same price as unlocked. So next time I'll buy unlocked.
    08-07-2016 09:12 AM
    You may want to keep an eye on this thread...
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...lte-bands.html
    08-07-2016 09:19 AM
    BTW B&H has the international unlocked version of the Note 7 listed. It'll be available late August. The drawbacks for these versions is that Samsung Pay and possibly Wifi calling won't work.
    08-07-2016 09:25 AM
    BTW B&H has the international unlocked version of the Note 7 listed. It'll be available late August. The drawbacks for these versions is that Samsung Pay and possibly Wifi calling won't work.
    And no free stuuf with purchase and no rebate deals etc.
    mrcultureshock likes this.
    08-07-2016 09:36 AM
    What exactly does "Unlocked" Mean?

I have been on verizon for 9 years. About three months ago I started dropping calls, but only at work. Anywhere else in the city and my coverage is great. I contacted verizon and they told me my work is in a known bad coverage area so I should get a new device with wifi calling that will automatically switch over if it looses its cell signal. I bought the S7 Edge and had it about a week. It did the same as my old note 3. I was dropping calls or not receiving them all the time at work. As a result, I returned it to verizon.

So now I am going to get the Note 7. My note 3 is due for replacement anyways. I am thinking about switching over to AT&T. Verizon Customer support sux. If I ever call them with a billing issue, it takes months to resolve. Plus I am likely still in a bad coverage area at work. Having said all that, what if I switch to AT&T and their coverage is even worse in my area! I dont want to buy a carrier specific phone and be locked to that carrier unless I replace the phone. If I buy an unlocked Note 7, will I be able to use it with any US carrier?
    The Verizon Note 7 is factory sim unlocked. It will work on any gsm network. In the usa that means att and tmobile. Sprint and is cellular won't work. Being sim unlocked doesn't guarantee that it will contain all the bands needed for 3g/4g/4GLTE.

Samsung also sold the s7 factory sim unlocked and Carrier free... This worked on all usa carriers and contained all the cellular bands. Samsung would most likely release the note 7 like this but don't know when. I would get this model if you plan to switch carriers.

Unlocked can also refer to the bootloader but that isn't what you are referring to here. A phone can be factory sim unlocked and have a locked bootloader or vice versa.
    08-07-2016 12:07 PM
    1. Sim unlocked - allows to use the phone on other networks as long as the radios on the phone are compatible with the network. For example Verizon versions are sim unlocked out of the box because of FCC requirement but it's useless since you will be getting the Verizon phone with all the Verizon bloat and stamp. You don't want this.

2. Bootloader unlocked - Allows you flash custom recoveries which can be used to flash custom Roms. Most phones are difficult to bootloader unlock because OEMs, carriers lock it down for various reasons.

3. Sim unlocked & unbranded - this is basically sim unlocked but without ugly carrier logo and without all the carrier crap that shouldn't be there. Basically this is the version how the manufacturer wanted it to be. You would want this if you want the perfect experience because this version is not crapped up by carriers. Also theoretically this should receive OS updates faster since it doesn't need carrier approvals.
    08-07-2016 12:17 PM
    1. Sim unlocked - allows to use the phone on other networks as long as the radios on the phone are compatible with the network. For example Verizon versions are sim unlocked out of the box because of FCC requirement but it's useless since you will be getting the Verizon phone with all the Verizon bloat and stamp. You don't want this.

2. Bootloader unlocked - Allows you flash custom recoveries which can be used to flash custom Roms. Most phones are difficult to bootloader unlock because OEMs, carriers lock it down for various reasons.

3. Sim unlocked & unbranded - this is basically sim unlocked but without ugly carrier logo and without all the carrier crap that shouldn't be there. Basically this is the version how the manufacturer wanted it to be. You would want this if you want the perfect experience because this version is not crapped up by carriers. Also theoretically this should receive OS updates faster since it doesn't need carrier approvals.
    I have found that updates really depends... The Verizon s7 is on the July security patch. The unlocked carrier free S7 is on the May patch from what I read on the forums.

Also carrier support matters to some people. I can get verizon to send me a replacement phone over night, no deposit or anything required. For Samsung you can send it in. And I have heard or horror stories dealing with Samsung customer service too... Multiple repairs with the problem persisting... So Samsung isn't perfect either.

Also while an unlocked carrier free model may work, the carrier is less likely to work with you if you have a network problem... Likely blaming it on the non approved phone.
    08-07-2016 12:32 PM
    I have found that updates really depends... The Verizon s7 is on the July security patch. The unlocked carrier free S7 is on the May patch from what I read on the forums.

Also carrier support matters to some people. I can get verizon to send me a replacement phone over night, no deposit or anything required. For Samsung you can send it in. And I have heard or horror stories dealing with Samsung customer service too... Multiple repairs with the problem persisting... So Samsung isn't perfect either.

Also while an unlocked carrier free model may work, the carrier is less likely to work with you if you have a network problem... Likely blaming it on the non approved phone.
    It all depends on individual to individual what's important for them. I had the unlocked S7 G930U and it was still on May security patch when I sold it couple of days back. But it was way better experience than the earlier T-Mobile S7 I had. Way smoother and no modifications, its just how Samsung meant it to be. Also unlocked model on T-Mobile everything worked perfect, wifi calling, VoLTE, band 12 etc. They are not like other carriers I guess and they don't care if you use their phone or unbranded phone. Personally never want to talk any clueless carrier or Samsung customer care. I'm my own support or there is awesome forums here or other places who are more knowledgeable than customer service.

Once the official US unlocked Note 7 is out, my T-Mobile version will be replaced by it without hesitation.

Sure for hardware issues walking into carrier store is easy but that's not common so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    08-07-2016 12:44 PM

I have the Gear s2 watch and it has that famous problem with the wrist band breaking. I called Samsung and did the go around and they never did send me a replacement one. They were supposed to get back with me and never did. I just ended up ordering a 7 dollar one off Amazon.
    08-07-2016 12:47 PM
    It all depends on individual to individual what's important for them. I had the unlocked S7 G930U and it was still on May security patch when I sold it couple of days back. But it was way better experience than the earlier T-Mobile S7 I had. Way smoother and no modifications, its just how Samsung meant it to be. Also unlocked model on T-Mobile everything worked perfect, wifi calling, VoLTE, band 12 etc. They are not like other carriers I guess and they don't care if you use their phone or unbranded phone. Personally never want to talk any clueless carrier or Samsung customer care. I'm my own support or there is awesome forums here or other places who are more knowledgeable than customer service.

Once the official US unlocked Note 7 is out, my T-Mobile version will be replaced by it without hesitation.

Sure for hardware issues walking into carrier store is easy but that's not common so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    For you, an unlocked carrier free model makes sense. Most people want an easy and quick fix to their problems and carrier models provide an easier solution for them. I really only recommend the unlocked model for the advanced user.
    08-07-2016 01:17 PM