Leaving iOS... Couple questions

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Don't install to many apps. Android cannot handle that as well as iOS.

Can you elaborate, please? I have a decent number of apps on all my Androids, and I have no problems with app switching.

get a good malware scanner as well.
I am not inclined to agree. Android is sandboxed in several ways to prevent malware from getting on your device. Now, I'm not saying it's impossible, but unlikely. However, there are just bad apps out there that aren't coded well or have lots of ads running through them, but that is a little bit different from malware or viruses.

Edit: and here is a good example...http://www.androidcentral.com/google-confirms-verify-apps-can-block-apps-quadrooter-exploits

You'll need to pay attention to your memory
Android works RAM differently from Windows. Android likes having RAM full; this helps with app switching.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
these are all things fthat might have been a concern for older or lower end devices...

Gingerbread was not so great at this. I think a lot of people will agree that back then memory management was bad. However, leaps and bounds were made even to ICS, and polished even more in JB.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Any suggestions for a malware scanner?

For the most part, they aren't really needed. If you would really like one, I would stick with either Avast or AVG.

Edit: after seeing Kelly's reply about Lookout, I forgot about that one. It's not bad, but I have gone a few years without a malware scanner.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
You really don't need a malware scanner as long as you stick to the google play App Store. Android has come a long way since the days of task killers and malware detectors.
Task killer.. Haha good times. I used to have 3 apps running and serious RAM issues. Now I can have 20 and it doesn't even blink.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Don't install to many apps. Android cannot handle that as well as iOS. You'll need to pay attention to your memory and get a good malware scanner as well.

Please do not spread misinformation in the forums. All three of these points are false.

Bluehair62

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks again for all the support and quality content. I'm feeling less anxious about the transition. Must say the community feel here is profound. I am hoping to pay it back in the future. After reading these threads for sometime now I get the feeling I am not alone in my quest for change.

May I toss another one at you...?

MUSIC - I am on apple music with my kids... At one point I had over 2k songs I purchased through iTunes and unfortunately a large chunk of those songs were lost. I don't care about that anymore, but I'm hoping Google Play has a broad selection of music... HUGE reggae fan here and have tons of old classics. I will say apple music has a decent collection.

1) Does Android/Samsung have a decent player? Do we have the ability to control the equalizer?

2) Do you buy or subscribe your music?

3) Anyone compare the the quality of sound between Samsung and iphones?

Thanks,
BH

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks again for all the support and quality content. I'm feeling less anxious about the transition. Must say the community feel here is profound. I am hoping to pay it back in the future. After reading these threads for sometime now I get the feeling I am not alone in my quest for change.

MUSIC - I am on apple music with my kids... At one point I had over 2k songs I purchased through iTunes and unfortunately a large chunk of those songs were lost. I don't care about that anymore, but I'm hoping Google Play has a broad selection of music... HUGE reggae fan here and have tons of old classics. I will say apple music has a decent collection.

1) Does Android/Samsung have a decent player? Do we have the ability to control the equalizer?

Thanks,
BH

Google Play Music and Apple Music are nearly the same in terms of content that's available. You can either subscribe ($9.99 for individuals or $14.99 for family, up to 6 members; includes YouTube Red for all users) or you can purchase music; prices are very similar but tend to be a little cheaper on GPM other than sales compared to iTunes. Sound quality the jury is out; it appears that Samsung is doing some good things in terms of the DAC in the Note 7 and if that's the case, it should be a new leader on that front.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Task killer.. Haha good times. I used to have 3 apps running and serious RAM issues. Now I can have 20 and it doesn't even blink.
Our phones have come a long way since then.

I remember the Task Manager in Android 2.0 to 2.3.

Not needed at this point, as the OS can manage memory nicely on its own.

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I have a couple questions. Making the move from iPhone 6+ S to the Note 7. Pre-ordered from Verizon. There are a few things I use a lot and I'm hoping to have some reasonable solutions.

1) I use the reminder app on my iPhone all the time. What are you using with Note phones?

2) I use Siri for making calls and sending text. Is there something similar?

3) I have over 6k pictures and have moved them to Google Photos. One thing I like about iOS is they are all organized by the date and time I took them. Can I do the same on my Note or in google photos?

4) This one is a bit troubling for me... One convenient thing about iOS is the ability to send and receive SMS messages from my phone or my Mac. Is there anything else like this with Note phones or Android in general.

1) I use google keep or wunderlist. Onenote is also nice.
2) Google now absolutely destroys siri. It's a night and day difference.
3) Google photos can do this and so much more.

I do subscribe to spotify. Not a fan of apple music or google music.
Malware scanner is not needed. As long as you use google play store for your apps there's nothing to worry about.

I have a iphone 6S plus, my first iphone, and i'm heading back to android. It has it's positives and I may return someday as apple is becoming more android like.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Thanks,
BH

1. There are lots of them. I love PowerAmp. It's a paid app, but the first week or two is free. After that, one time $4 or $5. Best $5 I spent on an app. Google Play Music is free, should come pre installed, and works quite well.

2. Buy. Google Opinion Rewards offers Play store credit for answering surveys usually less than 10 questions.

3. Never had an iPhone. Lots of YouTube videos I'm sure. Part of the sound quality will be with the phone, and some with the device you are listening music with (i.e. Bluetooth speakers, headphones, etc.)

Bonus...
4. You can transfer a lot of stuff from Apple to Google. Check this out: https://www.android.com/switch/
There is a transfer from iTunes section that might help out a lot. I use Google Music Manager on both Linux and Windows. This allows me to download my music to my PC and load as .mp3 files.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

Thanks,
BH

1. Samsung's Music app is awesome if you are an audiophile - I somewhat qualify for that. Most of my favorite music is in hi-res FLACS, which the native player handles beautifully. If you want to push the edge a bit, consider Samsung's BT Level Pro headphones. They use a proprietary communication protocol between the phone and the headset producing wide freq response and dynamic range far beyond any BT device I've heard. IMO, they sound killer. Otherwise, any good wired headphones/earbuds will do the trick.

2. I play FLACS (previous point) and I subscribe to Google Music for streaming casual listening.

3. As someone else mentioned, the jury seems to be out on the exact hardware/codec used in the N7. The N5 is far superior IMO to anything Apple has made. I am hoping that the N7 surpasses the N5. We'll see.

pezdukie

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Couple other questions since it looks like this is the place to ask them!

I was exclusively Android from the HTC Hero until the HTC One/Galaxy S5. I switched to the Iphone 6 Plus and there are a few small things that I really love about the iPhone that just worked better than they ever did on Android. Hoping to hear these have improved on Android:

1. Fingerprint Scanner - the scanner on my S5 was more inconvenient than it was worth. My job requires a secure password and the iOS Touch ID was a huge step up. Have these improved?
  2. Apple Wallet - Don't care about the actual wallet aspect of it; but primarily boarding passes. I board 150+ flights a year on Delta for work, having it always on my home screen and a swipe away has been awesome on iPhone. Anything similar on Android, or am I back to taking screenshots (in case reception isn't great in the terminal)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilsgutkowski