Leaving iOS... Couple questions

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Couple other questions since it looks like this is the place to ask them!

I was exclusively Android from the HTC Hero until the HTC One/Galaxy S5. I switched to the Iphone 6 Plus and there are a few small things that I really love about the iPhone that just worked better than they ever did on Android. Hoping to hear these have improved on Android:

1. Fingerprint Scanner - the scanner on my S5 was more inconvenient than it was worth. My job requires a secure password and the iOS Touch ID was a huge step up. Have these improved?
  2. Apple Wallet - Don't care about the actual wallet aspect of it; but primarily boarding passes. I board 150+ flights a year on Delta for work, having it always on my home screen and a swipe away has been awesome on iPhone. Anything similar on Android, or am I back to taking screenshots (in case reception isn't great in the terminal)

1-) A huge difference now compared to the S5, for a lot of people that have used latest versions on both devices (S7 and iphone 6s) about the same.
2-) For the past year I haven't been so active traveling, maybe just 2 or 3 times during the whole year, but before that I traveled a lot because of my work, and I always have used Google now for most of the travel stuff and as far as I could remember even for Boarding passes, it basically does all this by itself, but because I'm not relying on my memory anymore, as it seems that I'm going downhill..I looked for this on Google and yes, I found a lot of articles mentioning this and I'm now more convinced that I've been using this for a couple of years now.

Take a look at this links and you will have an idea of how it works. Even when this is an old article, it shows that it does just that and I'm just assuming that more Airlines are on board with this now, again, I know I have used it before and is rare for me to use United as my Airline.

https://www.quora.com/Which-airlines-destinations-are-supported-with-Google-Now-boarding-pass-cards-on-Android

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/01/14/google-now-boarding-pass-card-goes-live-is-there-anything-it-cant-do/

nrvna76

May 13, 2011
Visit site
It's sad that I have such anxiety about switching platforms. I worry that a note 7 with gear s2 will not have the same experience as iPhone with Apple Watch. To which my wife (who will stay with her SE) will promptly give me her opinion. Haha

Bluehair62

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
It's sad that I have such anxiety about switching platforms. I worry that a note 7 with gear s2 will not have the same experience as iPhone with Apple Watch. To which my wife (who will stay with her SE) will promptly give me her opinion. Haha

I agree with you... Also using iPhone and watch. Sammy came out with the watch before apple... I hear good things from people on the gear.

My wife is a Android lover and my kids talked her into iOS... Haven't even told her I am switching yet. Going to catch a lot of you know what from her after the 19th... HAHA

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
+1 for Verizon messenger: I use it across my S2 Tab, PC (you can DL a program and it can always be open on your computer, much like iMessage) and Note 5. It also allows for calls to be made on any device that it is installed on that is linked to your number (all over wifi too). You can also use it in a browser window if you don't happen to be on a home computer. I have found that it works way better then Hangouts for me.

+1 for Google Now: You can ask your phone (by setting up the "Ok Google" command, it's pretty much just like Siri) to set up reminders, text or call people just like with Siri.

Will it "read" your text messages like Siri (good for when your driving). I was most worried about losing Siri. Very happy to hear about ok Google. Has anyone used both and have an opinion on pros vs cons. Thanks!!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Will it "read" your text messages like Siri (good for when your driving). I was most worried about losing Siri. Very happy to hear about ok Google. Has anyone used both and have an opinion on pros vs cons. Thanks!!
There is also S-Voice which is a Samsung thing. I believe you can set it to read text messages out loud. Many times for me, composing a voice text, S-Voice understands me better than Google.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

I enjoy my Huawei watch more than my apple watch. In fact I just sold my iPhone 6s plus and apple watch after 6 months of solid use, which is amazing for me. Ordered the note 7 and back with my old note 5 for now.

Posted via the Android Central App

whtchdr

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I am also coming from an iPhone 6+ to the Note 7 Coral Blue. I've primarily used iPhones because I have a Mac and wanted to keep everything in sync, i.e. iCloud, iPhotos, iTunes, etc., but that is so much less of an issue now that it seemed when I had the Note 3. But I'm bored with the iPhone and what I've seen so far with the iPhone 7, it doesn't excited me like the Note 7 does so I ordered a Coral Blue. I was a little concerned that I should have waited until the iPhone release to decide but after playing around the Note 7 at Best Buy, I'm really glad I ordered it instead of waiting.

Most of my questions so far have been answered reading this thread but one I have is what is the best app for listening to Podcasts on Android? I use the stock one on my iPhone so I haven't really looked beyond that. I've taken a peek a Stitcher and right now it looks like the I will use but wanted some other suggestions.

Pocket Casts on Android is fantastic.

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Gear fit 2 is a fitness band not a smart watch. You will be disappointed if you expect it to be equivalent (in my opinion). Suggestion: sell the fitness band and buy the gear classic watch. (Not that I've used it yet, but looks awesome). I ❤️ my Apple Watch so I needed to get an android watch to fill the void.

Bluehair62

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I enjoy my Huawei watch more than my apple watch. In fact I just sold my iPhone 6s plus and apple watch after 6 months of solid use, which is amazing for me. Ordered the note 7 and back with my old note 5 for now.

That's a another helpful post... THANKS!!! I am going to get another watch. I will take a look at Huawei.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Guess I'm wondering since I'm coming from 6S + iPhone if, like my iPhone on Verizon, the Note 7 on Verizon also has wifi calling. I have bad reception where I live and this saved me life and battery!!!

bbfanatic11

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Wow.... Freaking Awesome... THANKS!!!! some great fixes.

I checked out Pushbullet... PERFECT fix...

Google Keep... PERFECT fix...

Microsoft one note looks good too...

Thanks for all the advice!!!

Messenger app by Google similar to hangouts but better than samsung sms option

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes.

You won't even miss siri. Google can do everything siri can and then some. The best part is google understands what you're saying much better and is faster to respond and generally with better information. I have used both side by side asking a series of questions and giving commands. I use it a lot for navigation which directs to google maps on android and apple maps on ios. Again google maps is soooo much better. Apple maps doesn't recognize certain locations I search for or for restaurants of the same name it has picked the wrong one hundreds of miles away because I was in that state rather than the closer one in the next state only 10 minutes away.
Siri seems to aim at being more personable than google.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Yes.

You won't even miss siri. Google can do everything siri can and then some. The best part is google understands what you're saying much better and is faster to respond and generally with better information. I have used both side by side asking a series of questions and giving commands. I use it a lot for navigation which directs to google maps on android and apple maps on ios. Again google maps is soooo much better. Apple maps doesn't recognize certain locations I search for or for restaurants of the same name it has picked the wrong one hundreds of miles away because I was in that state rather than the closer one in the next state only 10 minutes away.
Siri seems to aim at being more personable than google.

On this note ... Do we know if "Ok Google" will work without actively waking up the phone?

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Guess I'm wondering since I'm coming from 6S + iPhone if, like my iPhone on Verizon, the Note 7 on Verizon also has wifi calling. I have bad reception where I live and this saved me life and battery!!!

Anyone on Verizon know if Note 7 will have wifi calling?

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I am not sure if this is still an issue, but it may be, so please google what I am about to tell you. When I switched over to android from apple, I went a few days without receiving any text messages, even though I could send them. All of the messages to my number were intercepted by Apple, and sent to my iphone by wifi. They were not sent to my new android. There was some thing I had to do to notify apple to no longer process any of my text messages.

If you didn't turn off imessage and disassociate your iPhone from your iCloud, then that's why. One cannot simply do a factory reset on their iPhone when switching.

When I made the switch, I first went into the settings on the iPhone and turned off iMessage. Then factory reset. Then I went online on my computer to iCloud, signed in and removed the phone from my iTunes account. This last step is critical if you are going to sell your phone.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
If you didn't turn off imessage and disassociate your iPhone from your iCloud, then that's why. One cannot simply do a factory reset on their iPhone when switching.

When I made the switch, I first went into the settings on the iPhone and turned off iMessage. Then factory reset. Then I went online on my computer to iCloud, signed in and removed the phone from my iTunes account. This last step is critical if you are going to sell your phone.

Not sure what either of you are talking about. I switched my phone to Android from iPhone and vise Versa many times. Once I do that nrgoing happens with messages. Works normally.

If you plan on having TWO active phones then yes that makes sense. But if you are just switching over you don't need to turn anything off on the iPhone or iMessage.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
First...welcome to the Dark side...we have Marshmallows and Nougat!! But seriously....I think I would suggest Hangouts as SMS and get the hangouts plug in for Chrome. Once you have that, I think it will work quite well.

I like Pushbullet....and maybe someone can correct me if I misunderstood what happened in the past year...but didn't PushBullet impose a text message limit unless you pay the monthly subscription rate they have?
They did. 100 a month. I tried Mighty Text and that works fine, it was a little cumbersome.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Google Play Music and Apple Music are nearly the same in terms of content that's available. You can either subscribe ($9.99 for individuals or $14.99 for family, up to 6 members; includes YouTube Red for all users) or you can purchase music; prices are very similar but tend to be a little cheaper on GPM other than sales compared to iTunes. Sound quality the jury is out; it appears that Samsung is doing some good things in terms of the DAC in the Note 7 and if that's the case, it should be a new leader on that front.
Really! How do I set up a family subscription?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
[h=2]Subscribe to the family plan[/h]Only the family manager can subscribe to the family plan. If your family manager doesn't want to subscribe, you can still purchase an individual subscription.

1. Open the Play Music app
    hUflLh3AfDSglR7HDt07UhHp5IgiIYIhoZ9RpKLw1xYJzoKgG1pqPWNw1qiHcEPSknw=w18-h18
  2. In the top left, tap Menu
    gnm-ty6mnE6vkedDflD8UzuuSYpoeaGMx1Am3m0zH0OkEAkqv3jGJV3cnjkqH75mrrqn=w18-h18
    nHFGZ_9xjCh-mP83zMzXQVJF5VYf2n6kwoBIxB2zv3V4VPT4gNTtBye8lYznogLqLPY=w13
    Settings.
  3. Tap Start a free trial, Upgrade to Family Plan, or Subscribe.
  4. Follow the instructions on screen to sign up for the family plan and set up Family Library.

Google Play Music also has Podcasts, but not as many as PocketCasts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma