Leaving iOS... Couple questions

Bluehair62

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I have a couple questions. Making the move from iPhone 6+ S to the Note 7. Pre-ordered from Verizon. There are a few things I use a lot and I'm hoping to have some reasonable solutions.

1) I use the reminder app on my iPhone all the time. What are you using with Note phones?

2) I use Siri for making calls and sending text. Is there something similar?

3) I have over 6k pictures and have moved them to Google Photos. One thing I like about iOS is they are all organized by the date and time I took them. Can I do the same on my Note or in google photos?

4) This one is a bit troubling for me... One convenient thing about iOS is the ability to send and receive SMS messages from my phone or my Mac. Is there anything else like this with Note phones or Android in general.

Thanks in advance for the community involvement here. I hope to make this transition smooth with no regrets. I'm a small business owner and use my phone to run my business a lot during the day. I am very much looking forward to the freedom and change.

Thanks!!!

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
You'll probably struggle with #4 as there is not.

This one took me a while to adjust to as I had my iphone, iMac, and iPad all connected via iMessage and had all my notifications across them all. If that's important to you, you might want to reconsider.

1 & 2, Google does all that for me. Or can I should say. I don't use voice assistant to make calls for me or text. I can do that myself.

whtchdr

May 23, 2013
Visit site
1- Microsoft OneNote works great and syncs between iOS and Android devices
2- Google Now(their version of Siri) can handle this easily
3- Google Photos should have kept the time and date stamps from your photos. You can set it to do the same for any future pictures you take on your Note.
4- Pushbullet is an option that is available for Android and works with Mac

Shelacios

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
For number 4, I use Google hangouts. Sms notifications on my phone, tablet, and computer. Not quite as seamless as iMessage, but still works.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Not perfect but Verizon's messenger is available for IOS, Android and may be available on MAC and PC.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Google Keep for simple notes, lists, and reminders.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
For number 4, I use Google hangouts. Sms notifications on my phone, tablet, and computer. Not quite as seamless as iMessage, but still works.
This !!! Use hangouts which is cross platform, works on iOS, Android, pcs, Mac etc. You can either SMS or a hangouts message. For SMS not sure if you need Google voice attached to your Google account. Even if it is, it's free so no issues.

mrcultureshock

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm also moving from IOS to Android and I have an additional question. How fast is Samsung/AT&T with Android updates? When do you all think Android Nougat would be available for the Note 7 on AT&T?

Thanks!

optimummind

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a couple questions. Making the move from iPhone 6+ S to the Note 7. Pre-ordered from Verizon. There are a few things I use a lot and I'm hoping to have some reasonable solutions.

1) I use the reminder app on my iPhone all the time. What are you using with Note phones?

Google Now.

Google Now

3) I have over 6k pictures and have moved them to Google Photos. One thing I like about iOS is they are all organized by the date and time I took them. Can I do the same on my Note or in google photos?

Google Photos does the same.

4) This one is a bit troubling for me... One convenient thing about iOS is the ability to send and receive SMS messages from my phone or my Mac. Is there anything else like this with Note phones or Android in general.

You can use either Pushbullet and/or Join.

stronggeek

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Not perfect but Verizon's messenger is available for IOS, Android and may be available on MAC and PC.

This^
I've used on android and pc as well. I like that you don't always have to sign into Verizon to use on the pc.

Bluehair62

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Wow.... Freaking Awesome... THANKS!!!! some great fixes.

I checked out Pushbullet... PERFECT fix...

Google Keep... PERFECT fix...

Microsoft one note looks good too...

Thanks for all the advice!!!

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com

Thanks in advance for the community involvement here. I hope to make this transition smooth with no regrets. I'm a small business owner and use my phone to run my business a lot during the day. I am very much looking forward to the freedom and change.

Thanks!!!

For number 4, try MightyText. I use it all the time and it basically has the same functionality. The only difference is that it still uses SMS opposed to using iMessages.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm also moving from IOS to Android and I have an additional question. How fast is Samsung/AT&T with Android updates? When do you all think Android Nougat would be available for the Note 7 on AT&T?

Thanks!
Samsung first gets the update ready and then each carrier does their thing/test/approve etc. Lengthy process. If I have to guess it'll be sometime in Dec - Jan timeframe for Android N update. As far as AT&T it should be same time as other carriers plus or minus a month or two. If it comes to one carrier, you should see them on others soon enough.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
If I had one tip it would be to try to maybe use the Google Suite of apps to help the syncing stay easy... Ie. Google keep, Google Photos, Google drive etc. Turn on your free backup for Google Photos so future pics snapped on your phone will stay safe in the cloud.

The issue with push bullet (my suspicion-I haven't used it) is that it may help you text from your computer but it might not be the unified experience you are looking for because your cell # isn't tied to everything like it is on iMeaaages.

rynbeed

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
+1 for Verizon messenger: I use it across my S2 Tab, PC (you can DL a program and it can always be open on your computer, much like iMessage) and Note 5. It also allows for calls to be made on any device that it is installed on that is linked to your number (all over wifi too). You can also use it in a browser window if you don't happen to be on a home computer. I have found that it works way better then Hangouts for me.

+1 for Google Now: You can ask your phone (by setting up the "Ok Google" command, it's pretty much just like Siri) to set up reminders, text or call people just like with Siri.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
For number 4, try MightyText. I use it all the time and it basically has the same functionality. The only difference is that it still uses SMS opposed to using iMessages.

I've been using Mighty Text as well and am very happy with it. I even opted to pay for it.