Note 7's hardware scaling and HDR seem overlooked features so far...

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Besides the better/improved pen function, big selling points to me are both of these features.

Games on a 5.7" display at 1440p are overkill in regards to the gpu heat and battery drain. If true hardware scaling, this should significantly reduce heat and help battery life. You can set as low as 720p. Apparently this works with all apps, so will be interesting to see if correct.

The HDR improved some video content and should also help with the Gear VR.

The stock scaling was the main thing that pushed me to ordering, since having IMO the best of worlds (scaling for efficiency when needed and 1440p otherwise) has been something rooted device modders and some iffy apps have been attempting with varied results. No rooting needed now and designed as part of device.

Last edited:

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
While none of these were drivers for me when I pre-ordered the phone, I agree, they are great and overlooked features. Thanks for pointing them out!

Kirk Maluo

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
They put in Scaling because the 820 has abysmal gaming performance on the S7 edge. My edge is getting laggier as the days go by. This is the main reason I'm bummed they didn't bump the ram and CPU.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
They put in Scaling because the 820 has abysmal gaming performance on the S7 edge. My edge is getting laggier as the days go by. This is the main reason I'm bummed they didn't bump the ram and CPU.

The 808 on the MXPE chokes with a lot of games and runs hot, but the 820 appears to more than double gpu performance. Not tried the Edge with games, but other devices including the N7 seems butter smooth. Edge issue?

The Moto Z Force uses the 820 as well and reports so far have been positive in regards to game performance.

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
They added a chip to handle the HDR and have a partnership with amazon to enable HDR video streaming to the Note 7. Not that i'm excited to watch tv on a phone but it's a nice feature.

I sincerely hope it doesn't get laggy. Every android phone i've ever owned gets laggy over time and factory resets do nothing to resolve it. I got my first iphone, a 6s plus, and it's buttery smooth all the time with excellent battery life even a year later. I just miss android.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
They added a chip to handle the HDR and have a partnership with amazon to enable HDR video streaming to the Note 7. Not that i'm excited to watch tv on a phone but it's a nice feature.

I sincerely hope it doesn't get laggy. Every android phone i've ever owned gets laggy over time and factory resets do nothing to resolve it. I got my first iphone, a 6s plus, and it's buttery smooth all the time with excellent battery life even a year later. I just miss android.

Android has two key issues that extra speed and ram beyond 4GB probably will not fix:

1. The code translation layer
2. Regression algorithm used for cache management. This is mainly a series process that uses the controller and CPU clock to juggle.

Until Android at least works with chip makers to design more parallel operations for tasks in hardware and more efficient ram address management, the bottlenecks (IE lag) will remain. The code translation layer though is part of security, so will always probably be a factor in lag.

Kirk Maluo

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
The 808 on the MXPE chokes with a lot of games and runs hot, but the 820 appears to more than double gpu performance. Not tried the Edge with games, but other devices including the N7 seems butter smooth. Edge issue?

The Moto Z Force uses the 820 as well and reports so far have been positive in regards to game performance.
I suspect it's all the extra code Samsung puts on their phones. Now add to that the Note 7 specific software, I can't see how things would be better.

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had lag issues on Android for over a year or 2 now.

Use an iphone then go back to android. You'll notice the lag. I was just at best buy yesterday playing with the latest and greatest phones. Lag on all of them. I'm using my backup nexus 6 until the note 7 releases and it's horrible for lag. My wife's Galaxy S6, laggy. Even the new note 7 shows some slight lag in the store but it's better than any other android phone.
I'm also hoping the signal strength is better on the note 7. My iphone can pull down strong wi-fi and LTE signals where my nexus 6 gets nothing. Even on a recent camping trip some friends had no signal on their Note 5's while I had a couple bars on my iphone.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Use an iphone then go back to android. You'll notice the lag.

My daughter has an iphone, I have an iPod touch. My Note 5 is faster than both. If you notice the lag, I am not sure what to say, I guess you should go another direction if it is there for you and it bothers you. It isn't present for me, for sure .. My Note 5 flies ..

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Which iphone/ipod touch? I'm comparing to a 6S plus. The older ones will show some lag.
Hardware and software are the same. If one android phone has lag the same models all have lag. Perhaps some just don't notice it as much as others.
There's pros and cons in all things.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
My daughter has an iphone, I have an iPod touch. My Note 5 is faster than both. If you notice the lag, I am not sure what to say, I guess you should go another direction if it is there for you and it bothers you. It isn't present for me, for sure .. My Note 5 flies ..

Yeah my iPad mini lags like CRAZY. Thinking of dropping it

Posted via the Android Central App

Pippinsky

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Whoa. Wow. Have been with iOS for like 5 years, is there really going to be a large lag tax I'll have to pay as compared to the iPhone? And that android phones get laggier with time.... If this is true I will reconsider my move back to Android. Please those of you who have moved to android from apple weigh in.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I'll let the others chime in. All the new flagships run great. Older models had some lag (like older iPhones), but the new models are great for the most part.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
My family has both devices. The MXPE as example performs close enough to the iPhone 6 to make them par. The newer devices have gotten to the point that it is negligible.

Now, a wild card can be certain apps that might cause issues and mess the cache management up. This is usually from apps that did not follow framework criteria.

That all said, we have drifted off topic.

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I am pretty minimal when it comes to apps. I keep an eye on battery and memory usage and any app using too much that i'm not actively using I uninstall. So my phones are kept pretty clean. I still get the lag.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Where did you read about this partnership with Amazon?