Are Note Edge users under impressed with the Note 7?

Leetemp

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Is it me, or are there others that are under impressed from what this newest offering of a Samsung note has to offer? Would I love to upgrade from a note edge? Yes, but this new note just doesn't feel like it is offering enough to warrant upgrading. I know it offers 1 more GB of RAM and a bit faster processor, better iris, touch key, but it also takes away value from the back camera, USB-C (have to buy new charging cords?) and no changeable battery. Yes, I also know it is water resistant, but that is not a big selling point to me at all. Can anyone offer up something that I might be missing. Like I said, I would love to have it (keep up with the Jones') but right now I am not feeling it. HELP!

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
You shouldn't have to be forced into buying something. If you aren't feeling it don't get it. If what you have is working for you, keep it!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Stronger glass, IP68, more accurate display, larger display, more power efficient display, better camera, RAW support, 1 more GB RAM, larger internal storage 64 vs 32, faster storage, much better processor, more efficient processor, better audio, faster data transfer via USB 3.1 Type C, faster charging, better bluetooth tech, iris scanner, better fingerprint sensor, HDR video playback, larger battery, much better battery life, more color choices, better build quality, better software, more secure, will be up to date and supported longer and comes with some really cool free stuff.

That's 27 things off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Is it me, or are there others that are under impressed from what this newest offering of a Samsung note has to offer? Would I love to upgrade from a note edge? Yes, but this new note just doesn't feel like it is offering enough to warrant upgrading. I know it offers 1 more GB of RAM and a bit faster processor, better iris, touch key, but it also takes away value from the back camera, USB-C (have to buy new charging cords?) and no changeable battery. Yes, I also know it is water resistant, but that is not a big selling point to me at all. Can anyone offer up something that I might be missing. Like I said, I would love to have it (keep up with the Jones') but right now I am not feeling it. HELP!

Well USB-C is becoming the standard. You also get an adapter.

There are specs all over the place. Some people live by them, some ignore them completely. In simple terms.. Every new Note has been an upgrade from the last one, no exceptions.

The sealed batteries are also becoming the industry standard. My Note 5 battery, though smaller than the Note 4 battery, outperformed the Note 4 battery.

Samsung has said for years they are going to start opening walk in service centers and they have opened some. As they have more phones with sealed batteries, I would expect that to continue.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Once you're set on listing the things you don't FIRST, it's pretty hard to make someone change their minds (just sayin'). :)

That being said, the new Note is not meant to be a 'leap' in hardware, but a continuation of design. The camera is not a step back just because it has less pixel count since it offers other props and, of course, larger pixels. You won't need new cables as the phone ships with the USB-C adapter, so you can keep using the very same stuff you already own (plus the cable included will also have one 'normal' USB plug on one end). I never ran out of battery on my Note 5 so replaceable battery is not for me, but I can see why it matters for some. In that case, I suggest looking into the extra battery pack case (and it charges it wirelessly, so that's cool!).

And of course, the S Pen. It's improved, more features (whether or not those additional features appeal to you, that's your call) and improved sensitivity. Tighter curves instead of a single drop, better design language, smaller frame, lighter body. Like I said, it's not meant to be a hardware jump but rather a continuation of the S7 series (which is, also, why they made it a Note 7 and skipped the 6).

You can read about it in AC's take on the subject :)
Galaxy Note 7: The 7 new features you need to know about! | Android Central
Should you upgrade to the Galaxy Note 7 from the Galaxy Note 4? | Android Central

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

What do you mean, "takes away value from the back camera"? The s7 camera is overall a significant improvement over the note 4.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean, "takes away value from the back camera"? The s7 camera is overall a significant improvement over the note 4.

I think that's a reference to the MP count. Not everyone knows that they just cut off the superfluous 2MP on each side of the 16:9 image and made it a 12:9 or 4:3 image with better quality of the same subject area.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I guess it depends what you value. As archer says above, if you don't see the value, you should stick with what you have or look at other options. That said, I can think of the following upgrades from your Note:

- 64GB base storage
- Bigger Battery
- MUCH improved Cameras, front and rear
- Faster CPU
- Faster Graphics
- More RAM
- HDR screen
- BETTER screen overall with numerous improvements
- Excellent fingerprint reader
- Fast charging
- Built in Wireless Fast Charging
- much improved and additional S-Pen features
- Ability to scale screen resolution down to save power or improve gaming
- Iris Scanner (if you care)
- Always on Display, with 3rd party notifications
- USB-C (yes you will need new adapters or cords
- Freebies like a 256gb sd card or a Gear Fit 2 with purchase

mpazevedo

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
The back camera? Dual Pixel 12.0 MP tech is better the the normal 16MP camera. MP is not everything. Faster autofocus, and a lens that lets in 95% more light than the Note5. The Samsung Pay, more storage, wireless charging. Coming from a Note 4 it's a big upgrade. The iceing on the cake for me was testing it out at a local Best Buy. One word, Elegant. The dam thing is sexy. Feels great in the hand. But then again, that just my opinion.

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Yes, x2. I am coming from a Note Edge - been using it since launch day about 2 years ago. It's been a fantastic ride with the edge, but it's that time. Honestly, the only thing I don't like about the new Note 7 is that Samsung is going more mainstream. I used to love that it was an elite club. ;)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, x2. I am coming from a Note Edge - been using it since launch day about 2 years ago. It's been a fantastic ride with the edge, but it's that time. Honestly, the only thing I don't like about the new Note 7 is that Samsung is going more mainstream. I used to love that it was an elite club. ;)

At $850 a pop? Yeah, it's still an 'elite' product.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
At $850 a pop? Yeah, it's still an 'elite' product.

I remember people seeing my note2 or 3 and saying "wow your phone is huge why not just use a tablet as a phone".

Nowadays the size of the phone is so common the only time i get looks is when i pull the s pen out, and even that not so much.

Posted via the Android Central App

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, the price tag alone suggests this won't be a completely mainstream offering.

I'm pretty sure the S7 will remain the top selling Samsung phone.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I think that's a reference to the MP count. Not everyone knows that they just cut off the superfluous 2MP on each side of the 16:9 image and made it a 12:9 or 4:3 image with better quality of the same subject area.
Not only that but there is significant improvement in low light and focus speed.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Pre-orders look great, but these are people who know they want the phone. I'm talking about post release interest. That price tag just isn't for everyone.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I think the price is in line with most top end devices. For example the iPhone which is less capable is $849.99 for the 64gb plus and $949.00 for the 128 GB. I don't see what the problem is. Yeah it is expensive but not any different than anything else really.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital