No more action memo?

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Wait and see what the pop up menu is. It might be just fine. If not, side load the previous S-Notes with action menu.

I already have sideloaded S Notes. Yes, it has Action Memo, but not fully functioning (some features are unavailable on the N7. And the S Note app itself is not fully functional, several of its features are unavailable as well.

These are not acceptable solutions coming from the manufacturer of a nearly $1K phone, being sold as the next great NOTE, when it has systematically been stripped of the majority of its Note features/functions.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I already have sideloaded S Notes. Yes, it has Action Memo, but not fully functioning (some features are unavailable on the N7. And the S Note app itself is not fully functional, several of its features are unavailable as well.

These are not acceptable solutions coming from the manufacturer of a nearly $1K phone, being sold as the next great NOTE, when it has systematically been stripped of the majority of its Note features/functions.

Well they don't strip it of the majority of features. I've had every Note, waiting on the 7, they take away and add features all the time.

The odd thing when I posted about action memos last year, only about 3 people used that feature.

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Well they don't strip it of the majority of features. I've had every Note, waiting on the 7, they take away and add features all the time. ....
Kelly, when you get the Note 7, you'll see what the complaints are about. I've had (technically still own - various family members now have) the Notes 3, 4, 5 as well as the Note 10.1 and 12.2.

Actually, this time they did strip it of not just the majority of its features, but nearly all of them. Yes, a few minor features have come, gone and been replaced and updated in previous Notes. This is a whole other ball game. Check out the reviews of Samsung Notes in the play store (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=com.samsung.android.app.notes&token=Ppk8Ak6g). I tried counting all of the pissed off N7 customers last night and lost count after I hit 100. That's just in the first week since the phone was released. I also tried sideloading the .apk from my Note 5 - runs pretty buggy. When I can, I want to try getting what's on my husbands N4 and see how that does. My Mom has my N3, but lives too far for me to check that out within the next couple of weeks.

Samsung Notes looks like a high school coding student created it. I'm not being snarky, I'm terribly disappointed. I've loved the Note series (as "noted" above) and am completely baffled by this.

EDITED to add: I'm using the sideloaded S Notes from the .apk linked to on XDA.

Last edited:

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Kelly, when you get the Note 7, you'll see what the complaints are about. I've had (technically still own - various family members now have) the Notes 3, 4, 5 as well as the Note 10.1 and 12.2.

Actually, this time they did strip it of not just the majority of its features, but nearly all of them. Yes, a few minor features have come, gone and been replaced and updated in previous Notes. This is a whole other ball game. Check out the reviews of Samsung Notes in the play store (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=com.samsung.android.app.notes&token=4wFKUUUA). I tried counting all of the pissed off N7 customers last night and lost count after I hit 100. That's just in the first week since the phone was released. I also tried sideloading the .apk from my Note 5 - runs pretty buggy. When I can, I want to try getting what's on my husbands N4 and see how that does. My Mom has my N3, but lives too far for me to check that out within the next couple of weeks.

Samsung Notes looks like a high school coding student created it. I'm not being snarky, I'm terribly disappointed. I've loved the Note series (as "noted" above) and am completely baffled by this.

EDITED to add: I'm using the sideloaded S Notes from the .apk linked to on XDA.

Im already familiar with the notes issue on the Note 7 and have played with the phone a lot and that was the first issue I checked.

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Im already familiar with the notes issue on the Note 7 and have played with the phone a lot and that was the first issue I checked.
Well, I'm not sure what we're bantering about then.

What's available in Action Memo when the XDA version is side loaded is missing the ability to link to tasks and reminders. As I stated above, the one in the Galaxy App Store has no Action Memo.

Samsung Notes IS HUGELY crippled. That's not my opinion, these are what was "stripped":

S Note features allow:
- multiple pages, not one long image
- editable notes after saving (somewhat able to do so in Samsung Notes)
- inserting:
...- images that can be resized, moved, deleted, etc.
...- voice recordings
...- Easy charts
...- illustrations
- ability to create:
...- and store "favorite pens"
...- images charts, shapes
...- idea sketch
- extended toolbar
- changing:
...- color "book cover"
...- very useful template backgrounds
- recording a sketching/drawing/writing and later replay

I'm sure there are more that I'm not remembering at the moment. Hopefully Samsung will continue to read the very helpful reviews. You can hear in them the great disappointment, the number of professionals who use this business geared device and can no longer do so. Before the Note 3 I was a diehard Blackberry user, for years. What finally pulled me away from their awesome keyboards was the S-Pen. I thought I was just going to use it to type, I then learned what a huge productivity tool the Note(s) are. The Note 7 is not. I hope this is resolved very soon because I truly love this device. It's beautiful and elegant, but it has to do its job!

jadenerd

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
The Samsung rep at BB said that only 3% of previous Note users actually used Action Memo and Link to Action. I guess we weren't in the survey sample.

I hope that they also bring back the ability to double click on any screen and have Action Memo open.

2ndHalfCor

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
The Samsung rep at BB said that only 3% of previous Note users actually used Action Memo and Link to Action. I guess we weren't in the survey sample.

I hope that they also bring back the ability to double click on any screen and have Action Memo open.

It isn't only Action Memo, S Note was also seriously neutered. The combination of losing Action Memo and S Note (yes, I have downloaded it, but it is no longer integrated into the system like it was before) is to require kludgy work arounds to get anything done. So, in the name of combining and simplifying the S pen applications, they've made the Note 7 much less valuable to many of us. Maybe only 3% used Action Memo, but how about the rest? They should have said they've discontinued the Note series and now have a S7 Edge with an S pen.

Jedi215

May 31, 2013
Visit site
The Play Store has the version with action memo and link to action. It's the same one on my Note 5.

Playstore says my note 7 is incompatible with S Note. I tried from Samsung store and it works but no link to action feature. As I said nothing mentioned online worked for me. I can't wait till its brought back natively.

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Playstore says my note 7 is incompatible with S Note. I tried from Samsung store and it works but no link to action feature. As I said nothing mentioned online worked for me. I can't wait till its brought back natively.
A few pages back, member Connert posted the link to the version XDA has. It has Action Memo, and most of the "Link To's" work, but not all. Action Memo can be initiated by pressing the S Pen's button & double tapping the screen, or from that S Pen's Air Command/shortcut menu. And some of the S Note features aren't functional, tho most are.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=5348636

Last edited:

AllPhones

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
This is a deal breaker for me. The primary reason I've used the spen in all of my previous notes was the "link to action" function, particularly jotting down a number than calling that number directly. Seriously considering returning the N7 and keeping my N5. So disappointed.

Man....I would have to somewhat agree. I can't say that I like the new Note app that much, but it look much more polished. I'll have to create a list of pros and cons to decide. Like much more memory 64gb + 256gb ($249), other free gifts, water and dust proof...etc. I didn't get all these things with the Note 5.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Same situation w me. I've saved the xda version to my Dropbox and sideload for now.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Call me crazy, but I like using the new Samsung Notes app better than S-note and action memo. At first I didn't like it, but now I do. It is a lot cleaner now especially when pinning to the home screen. I just had to get used to the new style and function of it. Really like it though.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Call me crazy, but I like using the new Samsung Notes app better than S-note and action memo. At first I didn't like it, but now I do. It is a lot cleaner now especially when pinning to the home screen. I just had to get used to the new style and function of it. Really like it though.

Side Note.. You went with the Note 7? 😁