The Galaxy Note7 has "the best smartphone display ever", according to DisplayMate.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
In not-very-surprising news, the Galaxy Note7 has recently been crowned "the best smartphone display" by none other than DisplayMate, trumping its Galaxy S7 siblings.

Highlights include a very high peak brightness of 1048 nits, very high contrast in ambient lighting, a low screen-reflectance of 4.8% and wide color gamuts.

More details can be found here: Galaxy Note7 OLED Display Technology Shoot-Out

Overall, this isn't surprising. DisplayMate has been crowning every Samsung flagship since the Galaxy S5 as having the best smartphone display, and Samsung has been known to make some of the absolute best displays on the market. So this is not really a surprise.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
In not-very-surprising news, the Galaxy Note7 has recently been crowned "the best smartphone display" by none other than DisplayMate, thrumping its Galaxy S7 siblings.

Highlights include a very high peak brightness of 1048 nits, very high contrast in ambient lighting, a low screen-reflectance of 4.8% and wide color gambits.

More details can be found here: Galaxy Note7 OLED Display Technology Shoot-Out

Overall, this isn't surprising. DisplayMate has been crowning every Samsung flagship since the Galaxy S5 as having the best smartphone display, and Samsung has been known to make one of the absolute best displays on the market. So this is not really a surprise.

What do you guys think?

Just a bigger s7 edge with no real technology improvements... I bet the "same camera in the s7" will also score higher. They may be the same type, but that doesn't mean they didn't tweak the heck out of it.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Just a bigger s7 edge with no real technology improvements... I bet the "same camera in the s7" will also score higher. They may be the same type, but that doesn't mean they didn't tweak the heck out of it.
I wouldn't be surprised if they changed or tweaked the processing algorithms with the camera.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Lots of interesting information in that article.
Can't argue with the statistics. If it says it has high peak brightness, high contrast, low reflection, wide color spectrum, and then lists the stats that back up those statements its true.

The Note7 has ambient light sensors on the front and back?!? That's the first I'm reading about that feature.

The article seems to recommend setting the screen to "basic" for most true to life color shading as well as most viewing conditions (indoors and in dark rooms) with "adaptive" being recommended for bright light conditions (outdoors).

Auto brightness has a higher maximum brightness than the highest manual brightness setting (I've read that about other phones in the past too).

Finally something many of us probably already were aware, but using a predominately black background is more power (battery) efficient than a predominately white background.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Lots of interesting information in that article.
Can't argue with the statistics. If it says it has high peak brightness, high contrast, low reflection, wide color spectrum, and then lists the stats that back up those statements its true.

The Note7 has ambient light sensors on the front and back?!? That's the first I'm reading about that feature.

The article seems to recommend setting the screen to "basic" for most true to life color shading as well as most viewing conditions (indoors and in dark rooms) with "adaptive" being recommended for bright light conditions (outdoors).

Auto brightness has a higher maximum brightness than the highest manual brightness setting (I've read that about other phones in the past too).

Finally something many of us probably already were aware, but using a predominately black background is more power (battery) efficient than a predominately white background.

The most interesting part for me was 2 related things, the auto brightness has been enhanced. Working with the 2 light sensors, the transitions between brightnrss levels will be smoother. I dont use auto because i want control, and because the smallest thing makes my phone change brightness, and its very distracting. The second feature is the auto brightness that "learns" based on how you use your device. I know that all of the s7 people will already know this...(believe it or not, you may control these forums, but not all of us are s7 owners)

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
The most interesting part for me was 2 related things, the auto brightness has been enhanced. Working with the 2 light sensors, the transitions between brightnrss levels will be smoother. I dont use auto because i want control, and because the smallest thing makes my phone change brightness, and its very distracting. The second feature is the auto brightness that "learns" based on how you use your device. I know that all of the s7 people will already know this...(believe it or not, you may control these forums, but not all of us are s7 owners)

I too am interested in the updated auto-brightness. Like you, I never used to use auto-brightness, but I have found that on my Note 5 it does a pretty good job overall and now I use it all the time. Nice new pieces of info for this phone ..

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I too am interested in the updated auto-brightness. Like you, I never used to use auto-brightness, but I have found that on my Note 5 it does a pretty good job overall and now I use it all the time. Nice new pieces of info for this phone ..
On all my Notes but the 5, I used an app. I use the built in one on my N5, it does pretty well. The sometimes issues I have when it gets too low, should be corrected by these sensors on the back.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
On all my Notes but the 5, I used an app. I use the built in one on my N5, it does pretty well. The sometimes issues I have when it gets too low, should be corrected by these sensors on the back.

Yup, same for me. It occasionally is a bit too dim, but not often and its usually not too bad. There is room for improvement though, so I am anxious to see how this dual sensor setup performs.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yup, same for me. It occasionally is a bit too dim, but not often and its usually not too bad. There is room for improvement though, so I am anxious to see how this dual sensor setup performs.
Usually it will go to dim in the day when I move the phone the wrong way and block the sensor, sometimes at night.

Those other sensors for the ambient light, should correct that.