I'm ditching my n5 for an n7. (Before you bash me, my reason is below.) I have a crap load of fast adapters for home and car from n5. Will my existing fast charge adapters work with my n7 if I buy some USB type c cables? Will it fast charge? Thanks!

(I am ditching my note 5 for a n7. My reasons aren't common. The specs aren't overwhelming but 64gb is simply not enough for me on my n5. I take so many videos of my 2 yr old. I have unlimited data so I simply need the expandable storage. Got a good deal for a lexar 128gb card for $20 and now the n7 will come with a free 256gb card (which I'm choosing) or a gear fit 2. Hate to spend the money but expandable storage is a must and I hate cloud storage! Lol.)
    08-10-2016 09:49 AM
    Yes. Also don't think anyone is going to bash you, the Note 7 is better than the Note 5 at literally everything, so you're making a good choice even if it's not for the exact same reason as everyone else
    Ewing33855 and JmKc like this.
    08-10-2016 09:56 AM
    I'm jumping from the Note 5. As soon as I heard about the gif maker I preordered lol
    08-10-2016 10:00 AM
    I'm jumping from the Note 5. As soon as I heard about the gif maker I preordered lol
    Nice! Just an fyi, if that's the only reason you're getting the phone there are apps for that. I used gif me which worked well. N7 is super expensive. Lol!
    08-10-2016 10:04 AM
    Yes. Also don't think anyone is going to bash you, the Note 7 is better than the Note 5 at literally everything, so you're making a good choice even if it's not for the exact same reason as everyone else
    Thanks! People are so quick to judge even if it's not their money they're spending. Lol!
    08-10-2016 10:08 AM
    Nice! Just an fyi, if that's the only reason you're getting the phone there are apps for that. I used gif me which worked well. N7 is super expensive. Lol!
    Wow, I'm always late to the party when it comes to useful apps. lol Thanks.

But nah, it wasn't the only reason. The power, the micro SD slot, and how cool it looks was enough for me. And yeah it's expensive enough that I'm probably gonna wait till Note 11 before upgrading... XD
    Aquila and PlaybookFanatic like this.
    08-10-2016 10:22 AM
    Existing chargers should work, you would need to buy a usb c cable or adaptor
    08-10-2016 11:00 AM
    I have a slightly separate question - I've read that USB-C supports USB 3.1, which is twice as fast as USB 3.0. Does that mean that using a USB-C adapter with a micro USB cable be slower for file transfers than using a USB-C cable?

I also see that some cables have a 56k Ohm Pull-up Resistor in them - what kind of USB-C to USB 3.0 cable would work with the Note 7?
    08-10-2016 11:10 AM
    I have a slightly separate question - I've read that USB-C supports USB 3.1, which is twice as fast as USB 3.0. Does that mean that using a USB-C adapter with a micro USB cable be slower for file transfers than using a USB-C cable?
    Short answer: If your second device is transferring USB 3.1 port and you're using microUSB, it could be slower, yes.

Long answer: USB A can also support USB 3.0 and 3.1, although with 3.1 one end of the cable is usually type C. AFAIK MicroUSB can only support USB 3.0, so if that's one half of your cable, then yes it would be slower than a 3.1 connector on a 3.1 port. USB 3.1 is the standard for data speeds and C refers to the connector type, and to a lesser extent, the capabilities of Power Delivery and other uses.

USB 3.1(v2) can handle 10 Gbps, USB Power Delivery 2.0 (with a USB C connectors, can deliver 100W of PD) and USB 3.1 with USB Type C can handle DisplayPort and HDMI video, audio, etc. 3.0 could do this as well, but 3.1 brings 4k video into the equation.
    08-10-2016 11:27 AM
    Short answer: If your second device is transferring USB 3.1 port and you're using microUSB, it could be slower, yes.
    If I'm understanding correctly, unless you're transferring to a device (desktop, laptop, etc.) that already has USB 3.1, it won't make a difference whether a USB-C cable --or-- a USB 3.0 cable with a USB-C adapter is used.

Any idea why some cables have a 56k ohm resister in them??
    08-10-2016 11:39 AM
    If I'm understanding correctly, unless you're transferring to a device (desktop, laptop, etc.) that already has USB 3.1, it won't make a difference whether a USB-C cable --or-- a USB 3.0 cable with a USB-C adapter is used.

Any idea why some cables have a 56k ohm resister in them??
    Correct, and sorry no idea on the resistors.

For transfer speeds, the weakest link in the delivery device storage speed read, receiving device storage speed write, delivery device port spec, cable and receiving port spec is going to be the max transfer speed.

So a Note 7 if it has USB 3.1 and can read at 500 Mbps, the cable is a C to A USB 3.0 cable which tops out at 5 Gbps and is connecting to a PC with an SSD that supports 650 Mbps write - the maximum transfer rate might be 500 Mbps if that's the most the phone can kick out. In this example, the phone is the weakest link, followed by the SSD and the cables are just not slowing anything down (like USB 2.0 would).
    08-10-2016 11:54 AM
    What I just read explains a lot - there is a disconnect between USB-C and USB 3.1. Not all devices that use the USB-C connector, use USB 3.1. USB 3.1 uses more power, so it's probably not going to be used in mobile devices.

I suspect the Note 7 only supports USB 3.0, but uses the newer connector, so it probably won't matter if the cable is a USB-C or if an adapter is used with a micro-USB cable.

Edit...
    I've read several descriptions of USB-C cables that use a 56k ohm resister circuit. One indicates " With a 56K Ohm resistor and the right components on board, a standards-compliant cable will make sure that the client tries to draw only as much electricity as the host can provide." (http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/ho...-type-c-cables). Apparently, the circuit prevents the client (Note 7, etc.) from drawing more than the supplying device can support, which sounds like a good thing.
    08-10-2016 12:01 PM
    What about charge speeds? Will my old fast chargers with a c type cable work as well as the charger that comes with the phone?
    08-10-2016 06:28 PM
    Lies, Aquila, I'm bashing her.

Sike!

LOL
    08-10-2016 06:32 PM
    Lies, Aquila, I'm bashing her.

Sike!

LOL
    my bad, I didn't realize you were coming.
    08-10-2016 07:10 PM
    What about charge speeds? Will my old fast chargers with a c type cable work as well as the charger that comes with the phone?
    I would expect they probably will be just as fast, and if not, almost as fast. If they are QC 2.0, it will still charge very fast with a USB-C cable.
    08-10-2016 07:19 PM
    my bad, I didn't realize you were coming.
    Huh? I missed the joke.
    08-10-2016 08:08 PM
    I would expect they probably will be just as fast, and if not, almost as fast. If they are QC 2.0, it will still charge very fast with a USB-C cable.
    Thanks. I have samsung fast chargers scattered throughout the house. It will be nice if I can just change out the cables on them
    08-10-2016 11:06 PM
    If I use the USB adapter can I use my note 4 hdmi to plug into a projector.
    Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-10-2016 11:36 PM