08-12-2016 08:11 AM
73 123
tools
    And that's how I've always understood it. I just wish the companies would be more transparent with this and how they want to handle warranties.

My biggest question is: can I take a picture underwater in the pool, or not? I know you shouldn't do it OFTEN, but you can...right?
    Technical answer: The phone is advertised as rated for doing this, so yes, you absolutely should be able to use it, S-Pen in or out, in the pool.

Warranty answer: You'd have to see the terms of your warranty to see if Samsung would honor that technical rating with a replacement if you got a defective unit that was not made properly IP68 water resistant and tried to use it in the water. I suspect the answer will be full of things lawyers would say when they say "no"
    Kelly Kearns and Ry like this.
    08-10-2016 05:41 PM
    For what it's worth, which ain't much, here's my take on water resistant phones - they are great for accidental splashes but I personally do not use them for anything more than that.

If you want to take pictures underwater, you are far better off buying a relatively inexpensive water resistant camera. They are small, light, and if the water resistance fails (or simply if you drop it overboard!) you are out a whole boatload less money.

Is it convenient to carry one device that is water resistant and takes great pictures that you already have with you? Absolutely.

SHOULD you be able to trust that your lovely new $900 device, marketed as water resistant, can be used for things that are advertised on TV by the manufacturer? 100% heck to the YES!

Manufacturers will honor warranties reluctantly if at all, and Sammy has a long history of being, well, not necessarily one of the best in that arena.

But even when I have owned really nice water resistant phones with great cameras, if I was going somewhere I knew there would be water, I always throw my Lumix water resistant camera in the beach bag, and the phone stays in a clear dry sack if it is used at all.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    08-10-2016 05:54 PM
    Technical answer: The phone is advertised as rated for doing this, so yes, you absolutely should be able to use it, S-Pen in or out, in the pool.

Warranty answer: You'd have to see the terms of your warranty to see if Samsung would honor that technical rating with a replacement if you got a defective unit that was not made properly IP68 water resistant and tried to use it in the water. I suspect the answer will be full of things lawyers would say when they say "no"
    How unfortunate. Will you use yours in the water?
    08-10-2016 06:08 PM
    For what it's worth, which ain't much, here's my take on water resistant phones - they are great for accidental splashes but I personally do not use them for anything more than that.

If you want to take pictures underwater, you are far better off buying a relatively inexpensive water resistant camera. They are small, light, and if the water resistance fails (or simply if you drop it overboard!) you are out a whole boatload less money.

Is it convenient to carry one device that is water resistant and takes great pictures that you already have with you? Absolutely.

SHOULD you be able to trust that your lovely new $900 device, marketed as water resistant, can be used for things that are advertised on TV by the manufacturer? 100% heck to the YES!

Manufacturers will honor warranties reluctantly if at all, and Sammy has a long history of being, well, not necessarily one of the best in that arena.

But even when I have owned really nice water resistant phones with great cameras, if I was going somewhere I knew there would be water, I always throw my Lumix water resistant camera in the beach bag, and the phone stays in a clear dry sack if it is used at all.
    This answered my previous question lol
    08-10-2016 06:10 PM
    How unfortunate. Will you use yours in the water?

Whether you CAN or SHOULD use it underwater might be up for debate it appears. But I definitely WON'T be. For me, it's as simple as: Why would I possibly take that risk? There are dozens of $99 waterproof cams around - I have one - that can be used for this kind of activity. If that $99 device breaks for some reason, I won't care much. It isn't something I use every day, or need in any way. If the phone dies, it is so much more important to me, so much more expensive - and even if a replacement is covered - so much more of a hassle to fix/replace then a little waterproof video- cam.

I am so glad this device has IP68 for accidental spills or splashes ( I have a pool), but there is no way ever I will be intentionally using it in the water.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    08-10-2016 07:37 PM
    Whether you CAN or SHOULD use it underwater might be up for debate it appears. But I definitely WON'T be. For me, it's as simple as: Why would I possibly take that risk? There are dozens of $99 waterproof cams around - I have one - that can be used for this kind of activity. If that $99 device breaks for some reason, I won't care much. It isn't something I use every day, or need in any way. If the phone dies, it is so much more important to me, so much more expensive - and even if a replacement is covered - so much more of a hassle to fix/replace then a little waterproof video- cam.

I am so glad this device has IP68 for accidental spills or splashes ( I have a pool), but there is no way ever I will be intentionally using it in the water.
    All very true. I'm not sure where I'm using mine yet. It's all very interesting & exciting.
    08-10-2016 08:12 PM
    And YESSSSSSSS for your own pool!
    08-10-2016 08:13 PM
    Is the Note 7 still waterproof if I have the pen out and am using it? I ask because that would mean there's an open hole on the bottom on the phone, not sure if it would still be waterproofed.
    From the way you state it I'm guessing you think that because the pen comes out of the hole water could get in the hole, and from within the hole into the phone. Just because there is a hole that doesn't mean the area inside that hole has access or an opening to any other area inside that phone. The hole could very well be a separate area that is completely enclosed plastic/rubber/etc that has a solid layer of plastic/rubber/etc between it and any internal area of the phone. In other words it could be a self contained compartment.

If someone is going into a store with a demo phone, or has a test phone take a flash light and shine it in the hole, and let us know what you see inside.
    PlaybookFanatic likes this.
    08-10-2016 08:52 PM
    I watched the unveiling of the Note 7 online on August 2nd. They show a clip of how they sealed the phone. At what time frame, I don't know but you will get a good idea of how it's sealed.
    08-11-2016 07:40 AM
    So, if I understand correctly, the IP68 rating does not depend on the S-pen being inserted in the device or not. Is that correct?

(it is hard to read this thread with all the ego-fights...)
    PlaybookFanatic and jshah500 like this.
    08-11-2016 09:08 AM
    Ok, last thing. The operations manager at Samsung told me all water damage voids the warranty, it is in all paperwork you sign.

You want to use your phone in water, go for it. I would suggest you contact Samsung Plus and verify the warranty and water damage on the phone.
    I am not disagreeing with you and I think this point was mentioned, but why the heck would Samsung unveil this new phone with dunk tanks for people in the audience to to throw phones into and then say the warranty is voided if there is water damage?
    08-11-2016 09:17 AM
    So, if I understand correctly, the IP68 rating does not depend on the S-pen being inserted in the device or not. Is that correct?

That's correct. They have shown the ability to use the S pen underwater.
    PRGDR likes this.
    08-11-2016 09:25 AM

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ It does not depend on the pen. Both pieces have their own separate IP68 rating. So the pen can be missing.
    PRGDR likes this.
    08-11-2016 11:18 AM
    I am not disagreeing with you and I think this point was mentioned, but why the heck would Samsung unveil this new phone with dunk tanks for people in the audience to to throw phones into and then say the warranty is voided if there is water damage?
    Because it is like all advertising for all companies. They are over dramatic and fine print gets detailed.

Now if they admit they have a design flaw like they have with some of the S7 Actives, that is a different story.

When I was with AT&T and the S5 Active came out and I inquired about it for my niece, one of them.. AT&T or Samsung, told me straight up.. You can't do things like the commercial shows.

Commercials always make things look better with every industry.

Samsung has a two year extra protection that does cover liquid damage, but the phone isn't waterproof, so..

You might can take it under water and take pictures and never have a problem, but you could. It took a lot and media attention, to get Samsung to do warranty exchanges for the S7 Actives that were manufactured before a certain date. But, Samsung admitted they found a problem.
    08-11-2016 06:26 PM
    Water resistant. Please don't use your Note 7's in water. It is an electronic device.
    Kelly, there are already a bunch of people using their S7's in water, under water, you name it. When I had my S7e, I used it a few times in full on rain. No damage, perfect...and fun to do. Sure, technically not waterproof, but Sammy fully promotes people using it in water, as all their ads show. Even though the warranty is sketchy in regards to water damage. People should go for it...just be aware that some fail and also be careful with it, especially in water.
    08-11-2016 06:30 PM
    There was a guy in another thread, who said he takes his S7 into the shower almost daily since March. Still perfect.

Little bit tmi, I know ๐Ÿ˜†
    08-11-2016 06:37 PM
    The Note 7 has an IP68 rating for water... Let me break it down for EVERYONE ๐Ÿ˜‰

*What is IP68? IP ratings explained
    The recently unveiled N7 will ship with an IP68 rating. So what exactly does that mean?

*IP address

First up, let's address what IP actually means. It stands for 'Ingress Protection'.

This is a rating system set forth by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) to inform consumers of how well protected an electronic device is against foreign bodies.

An IP rating actually tells you two things about the device it's attributed to - how well it resists water ingress, and how well it resists dust ingress.

*Numbers game

This two-stage rating is what the two numbers following the 'IP' part stand for.

The first number always corresponds to how resistant to solid objects the device is, right down to and including dust, while the second number relates to its level of water resistance.

Perhaps confusingly, the two scales are configured a little differently. For starters, dust resistance is marked from 0 to 6, while water resistance goes from 0 to 8.

In general, the higher the number the better. However, the water rating operates slightly differently beyond IPX6. Just because a device has secured a 7 or 8 on the liquid ingress side of things, doesn't mean it's automatically been tested for IPs 1 through to 6.

This is why something like the Sony Xperia Z5 has been given both an IP68 and an IP65 rating. This means that it can withstand light water jets as well as full immersion, and is thus more water resistant than the N7.

*IP68

Given the aforementioned information, you can probably figure out that the IP68 rating given to the N7 is fairly strong.

While this means that the phone is completely dust resistant, again it isn't quite so simple for the liquid ingress rating.

Instead, it means that the phone is "protected from immersion in water with a depth of more than 1 meter," according to the IEC. The usage case supplied for this is "Rain, splashing and accidental submersion."

The IEC requires that the manufacturer itself supplies the precise depth and length of time the device can be exposed to water in such a rating, and in the N7 case Samsung says that it can withstand "Up to 30 minutes or 1.5 meters under (water)"

Posted via the Android Central App
    Very well stated. I also deal in an industry in which products undergo this certification process. I did here somewhere that if the S pen is removed it's rating will drop to IP67. Not sure where I heard it, but i believe it was in an interview that was recorded during the unpacked event. If this is true there would have to be this disclaimer somewhere. Pen in IP68, pen out IP67. That IP67 rating would then reduce the depth to 1 meter I believe. I may be wrong and only Samsung knows for sure.

08-11-2016 07:01 PM
    Kelly, there are already a bunch of people using their S7's in water, under water, you name it. When I had my S7e, I used it a few times in full on rain. No damage, perfect...and fun to do. Sure, technically not waterproof, but Sammy fully promotes people using it in water, as all their ads show. Even though the warranty is sketchy in regards to water damage. People should go for it...just be aware that some fail and also be careful with it, especially in water.
    If they don't mind having a new phone that has no warranty and has water damage, no problem.

There are also a bunch of S7 Active people with water damage that have been fighting with Samsung and AT&T. I asked specifically about the Note 7 when speaking to the operations manager. She said, if there is water damage to them, the warranty is void. The only reason Samsung is replacing the S7 Active is because they said they had a problem and corrected it on a certain date.
    08-12-2016 12:30 AM
    I don't doubt you one bit. But rhetorically, how could Samsung void the warranty for using the phone as advertised? Doesn't make sense to me. If you're gonna void the warranty for water damage, don't advertise using it under water.

At&t Note5
    Because things displayed in a commercial ad and real life are very different. Always read the fine print at the bottom. It explains the truth 100% of the time.
    08-12-2016 02:39 AM
    Mod Note

Just cleaned the thread up some. If you want to talk about water proofing / resistant and all that (including IP rating) that'll be fine. Going after one another, being rude, and jumping down each others throats is not. Please ensure to post in a professional manner when posting and report problem posts rather than try to handle them yourself.

Thanks.
    08-12-2016 02:46 AM
    The Note 7 has an IP68 rating for water... Let me break it down for EVERYONE ๐Ÿ˜‰

The recently unveiled N7 will ship with an IP68 rating. So what exactly does that mean?

*IP address

First up, let's address what IP actually means. It stands for 'Ingress Protection'.

This is a rating system set forth by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) to inform consumers of how well protected an electronic device is against foreign bodies.

An IP rating actually tells you two things about the device it's attributed to - how well it resists water ingress, and how well it resists dust ingress.

*Numbers game

This two-stage rating is what the two numbers following the 'IP' part stand for.

The first number always corresponds to how resistant to solid objects the device is, right down to and including dust, while the second number relates to its level of water resistance.

Perhaps confusingly, the two scales are configured a little differently. For starters, dust resistance is marked from 0 to 6, while water resistance goes from 0 to 8.

In general, the higher the number the better. However, the water rating operates slightly differently beyond IPX6. Just because a device has secured a 7 or 8 on the liquid ingress side of things, doesn't mean it's automatically been tested for IPs 1 through to 6.

This is why something like the Sony Xperia Z5 has been given both an IP68 and an IP65 rating. This means that it can withstand light water jets as well as full immersion, and is thus more water resistant than the N7.

*IP68

Given the aforementioned information, you can probably figure out that the IP68 rating given to the N7 is fairly strong.

While this means that the phone is completely dust resistant, again it isn't quite so simple for the liquid ingress rating.

Instead, it means that the phone is "protected from immersion in water with a depth of more than 1 meter," according to the IEC. The usage case supplied for this is "Rain, splashing and accidental submersion."

The IEC requires that the manufacturer itself supplies the precise depth and length of time the device can be exposed to water in such a rating, and in the N7 case Samsung says that it can withstand "Up to 30 minutes or 1.5 meters under (water)"

(Z 1)
    Yes you are correct, but I believe Sony devices are much resistant to water
    08-12-2016 04:57 AM
    It does not depend on the pen. Both pieces have their own separate IP68 rating. So the pen can be missing.
    That's correct. They have shown the ability to use the S pen underwater.
    Thank you very much @PlaybookFanatic, @tourbound129. So, all the rest of the discussion is weather you should do things like going swimming with an IP68 rated device, and weather Samsung would void the warranty in such cases. A bit OT, I guess.

Thanks again.
    08-12-2016 07:50 AM

*IP address

*Numbers game

*IP68

This was actually very insightful. I never knew what the IPxx stupid for.

Sent from Sir Cletus Sexy IV.
    (S7 Edge Titanium)
    08-12-2016 08:11 AM
73 123