Is the Note 7 still waterproof if I have the pen out and am using it?

jshah500

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Is the Note 7 still waterproof if I have the pen out and am using it? I ask because that would mean there's an open hole on the bottom on the phone, not sure if it would still be waterproofed.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is it Still Waterproof if...

Is the Note 7 still waterproof if I have the pen out and am using it? I ask because that would mean there's an open hole on the bottom on the phone, not sure if it would still be waterproofed.
The Note 7 is not water proof, it is water resistant.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site

Video shows dude using the s pen to write on the N7 underwater... also the do claim that the s pen slot and the pen itself is water resistant

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

We understand, and you're not being helpful answering the question. It's all semantics, I'm not going to go scuba diving with my phone.
Yes, this isn't a new issue or the first phone.

The spen doesn't seal the tube, it is sealed higher.

Again, use it in water at your own risk, water damage voids the warranty. This is per Samsung.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

Again, use it in water at your own risk, water damage voids the warranty. This is per Samsung.

I don't doubt you one bit. But rhetorically, how could Samsung void the warranty for using the phone as advertised? Doesn't make sense to me. If you're gonna void the warranty for water damage, don't advertise using it under water.

At&t Note5

mxrider821

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Water resistant. Please don't use your Note 7's in water. It is an electronic device.

The Note 7 has an IP68 rating for water... Let me break it down for EVERYONE 😉

*What is IP68? IP ratings explained
The recently unveiled N7 will ship with an IP68 rating. So what exactly does that mean?

*IP address

First up, let's address what IP actually means. It stands for 'Ingress Protection'.

This is a rating system set forth by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) to inform consumers of how well protected an electronic device is against foreign bodies.

An IP rating actually tells you two things about the device it's attributed to - how well it resists water ingress, and how well it resists dust ingress.

*Numbers game

This two-stage rating is what the two numbers following the 'IP' part stand for.

The first number always corresponds to how resistant to solid objects the device is, right down to and including dust, while the second number relates to its level of water resistance.

Perhaps confusingly, the two scales are configured a little differently. For starters, dust resistance is marked from 0 to 6, while water resistance goes from 0 to 8.

In general, the higher the number the better. However, the water rating operates slightly differently beyond IPX6. Just because a device has secured a 7 or 8 on the liquid ingress side of things, doesn't mean it's automatically been tested for IPs 1 through to 6.

This is why something like the Sony Xperia Z5 has been given both an IP68 and an IP65 rating. This means that it can withstand light water jets as well as full immersion, and is thus more water resistant than the N7.

*IP68

Given the aforementioned information, you can probably figure out that the IP68 rating given to the N7 is fairly strong.

While this means that the phone is completely dust resistant, again it isn't quite so simple for the liquid ingress rating.

Instead, it means that the phone is "protected from immersion in water with a depth of more than 1 meter," according to the IEC. The usage case supplied for this is "Rain, splashing and accidental submersion."

The IEC requires that the manufacturer itself supplies the precise depth and length of time the device can be exposed to water in such a rating, and in the N7 case Samsung says that it can withstand "Up to 30 minutes or 1.5 meters under (water)"

Posted via the Android Central App

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

I don't doubt you one bit. But rhetorically, how could Samsung void the warranty for using the phone as advertised? Doesn't make sense to me. If you're gonna void the warranty for water damage, don't advertise using it under water.

At&t Note5
Because it is water resistant, not water proof.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

The Note 7 has an IP68 rating for water... Let me break it down for EVERYONE 😉

*What is IP68? IP ratings explained
The recently unveiled N7 will ship with an IP68 rating. So what exactly does that mean?

*IP address

First up, let's address what IP actually means. It stands for 'Ingress Protection'.

This is a rating system set forth by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) to inform consumers of how well protected an electronic device is against foreign bodies.

An IP rating actually tells you two things about the device it's attributed to - how well it resists water ingress, and how well it resists dust ingress.

*Numbers game

This two-stage rating is what the two numbers following the 'IP' part stand for.

The first number always corresponds to how resistant to solid objects the device is, right down to and including dust, while the second number relates to its level of water resistance.

Perhaps confusingly, the two scales are configured a little differently. For starters, dust resistance is marked from 0 to 6, while water resistance goes from 0 to 8.

In general, the higher the number the better. However, the water rating operates slightly differently beyond IPX6. Just because a device has secured a 7 or 8 on the liquid ingress side of things, doesn't mean it's automatically been tested for IPs 1 through to 6.

This is why something like the Sony Xperia Z5 has been given both an IP68 and an IP65 rating. This means that it can withstand light water jets as well as full immersion, and is thus more water resistant than the N7.

*IP68

Given the aforementioned information, you can probably figure out that the IP68 rating given to the N7 is fairly strong.

While this means that the phone is completely dust resistant, again it isn't quite so simple for the liquid ingress rating.

Instead, it means that the phone is "protected from immersion in water with a depth of more than 1 meter," according to the IEC. The usage case supplied for this is "Rain, splashing and accidental submersion."

The IEC requires that the manufacturer itself supplies the precise depth and length of time the device can be exposed to water in such a rating, and in the N7 case Samsung says that it can withstand "Up to 30 minutes or 1.5 meters under (water)"

Posted via the Android Central App
We got it. I gave the standard warning. I won't be putting mine in water.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

OP, from what I have seen and read, you should be good to go with the device is subjected to water while the pen is out.

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

You are annoyingly pretentious. The OP asked a question that was/is extremely relevant, and you decided to do everything BUT answerthe question. People like you make it hard for people to want to ask questions here because of attitudes like this.

In other news...

Theoretically, the phone can fall in the water with the pen out and be fine, OP. And quite honestly, I'd love to take mine to the pool with me every now and again...and intend to do just that! :)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

You are annoyingly pretentious. The OP asked a question that was/is extremely relevant, and you decided to do everything BUT answerthe question. People like you make it hard for people to want to ask questions here because of attitudes like this.

In other news...

Theoretically, the phone can fall in the water with the pen out and be fine, OP. And quite honestly, I'd love to take mine to the pool with me every now and again...and intend to do just that! :)
Because I am not going to tell someone to put an electronic device in the water. I am going to tell them if you want to do that, get a guaranteed waterproof case.

Water damage voids the warranty. I'm here to help, not encourage someone to do something with their phone that might ruin it.

Thanks for your personal feedback of me!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

At&t Note5
Because ip68 is under very specific conditions... Stagnant Tap water, 5' for 30 minutes.

Samsung will cover you if it is a manufacturer defect like on some s7a units in which it didn't meet ip68, but say you put it in your pocket swimming or... Diving into water... That wouldn't be covered. Drops can also impact ip68...

You can send it in to Samsung for analysis in case of water damage , but... Why take the risk?